Author Topic: Barnabas, Quentin, and the Body Snatchers  (Read 5573 times)

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
Barnabas, Quentin, and the Body Snatchers
« on: April 24, 2007, 01:11:36 AM »

I picked this one up on Ebay some time ago, and I decided to read it this weekend.

You know, those Ross novels were never meant to be sophisticated literature and all, but I gotta tell you, I think I may have discovered the single worst book ever written. Even worse than Kathy Ptacek's Gila, which, frankly, I never expected to see displaced as the mostest awfulest book that ever was.

Quentin masquerades as world-famous rock star Jim James, but no one has ever seen his face. One of Roger's friends discovers a planet called Velva, which is populated by Velvetians. Velvetians kidnap Roger and friend and install themselves at Collinwood. (Elizabeth deduces this as early as page 21, when she confides to Barnabas: "I've been obsessed with the idea that some sort of plane landed in the fields near here...and someone who was on it entered this house and took Roger captive. Then this mysterious someone had Roger sent away on that plane while he installed himself here in his place!") Elizabeth confides the same to Julia, who -- instead of wondering if Elizabeth is in her cups -- quickly determines that Roger has gone insane (with an exclamation point). Barnabas and Quentin, though, being special and all, figure out the aliens plan and turn the tables on them.

Good God. Good God....

Yes. This is the Plan Nine From Outer Space of all pulp novels. I'm certain of it.

David

Re: Barnabas, Quentin, and the Body Snatchers
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 01:19:14 AM »
 ::)

Oh, come on Mark, is this any sillier than the Dream Curse, or the Summer of 1970 on DS?

Suspend your belief & have fun~~
just as you would with any DS episode or an Ed Wood movie!
(Plan 9, .while poorly written/acted does have some stunning visuals. Check out the lighting  in the graveyard!)

David

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 01:33:44 AM »
Believe me, I had fun with it. I also watched Bigfoot, with John Carradine, John Mitchum, and Doodles Weaver. I was in a mood for cheese.

Dream curse? Summer of 70? Dude, in comparison, those are Edgar Allan Poe at his finest. ;)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 01:42:03 AM »
One of Roger's friends discovers a planet called Velva, which is populated by Velvetians.
Does this mean that Velveeta cheese comes from outer space?

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 01:45:45 AM »
Good God. Good God....

Yes. This is the Plan Nine From Outer Space of all pulp novels. I'm certain of it.

OH, Mark.....you made my night.........  I'm still laughing......... [stfl]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 02:21:17 AM »

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 02:32:04 AM »
Are you ready for this, Mark?  Are you sitting down?  Hold onto your hat.  Barnabas, Quentin and the Body Snatchers was the very first Ross DS novel that I bought and read!  I still remember that part about the space ships being invisible!

Gerard

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 02:52:36 AM »
sounds cheesy.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 04:56:17 AM »
We gotta remember the audience for these novels...not the general public, but a bunch of pre-pubescent kids who ran home from school to watch DS, and who never even heard of INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS, since that (and other) '50s movies weren't easily available on TV back the late 60s/early 70s.  (As I recall, my favorite Ross novel was "The Peril of Barnabas Collins" because there were some paragraphs about a carriage traveliing cross country to Maine...or something like that.  It was my first DS novel, so I guess that's why it is "special." LOL.)  On another SAD note--I was in Ohio last weekend to visit family, and the same elementary school from which I used to run home to watch DS has been torn down!!  AHHHHH--it was only bulit in 1961 (I started 1st grade in fall of '63), but the school board tore this building down because the state gave the board money for another new school....but there's no money available to operate the new school, and the teachers have to take a cut in pay.  "What's wrong with this picture?" Off-topic--sorry.  Brian

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 04:58:47 AM »
We're all doomed, Brian.  This is a stupid century.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline darkenedlight

• 0.o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 07:26:20 AM »
(IMG)

Oh god, that just made my day.  [laughing4]

I agree, that book is rather cheesy but all is forgiven with the other books Ross had written. I had recently bought The Demons of Barnabas Collins and I am half way through the book thinking how much emphasis Ross puts on Barnabas. With him being secretive and secluded in the show I get the impression from reading that he's a celebrity and everyone is all *gasps and points* "It's Barnabas." (o___o)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 03:27:48 PM »
Great to see you posting, darkenedlight. Welcome!

As for the Ross novels, I think I stopped reading them around Barnabas, Quentin and the Nightmare Assassin, which is something like book #18 (though I continued to buy them - but as I've said before, the main reason I bought any of them was just for the cover photo  ;)). They're just too different from the actual show, what with Barnabas roaming all around in all different time periods when he should have been chained in his coffin.  ::)  So, I've never read Body Snatchers. How unfortunate (or, perhaps, very lucky) for me.  :D

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 05:56:08 PM »
One of the goofiest scenes I recall from one of the novels has the heroine (not one of the ones we're familiar with - some new damsel-in-distress set around the turn-of-the-century) looking out of a window at Collinwood and, from what I recall, in the dead of winter (with actual snow on the ground - imagine that!), sees a man walking toward the front door, all bundled up, a hat on his head.  Suddenly a dog attacks him, knocking his hat off and the man turns out to be a werewolf.  He growls at the dog, sending Fido running with his tail between his legs, while the werewolf puts his hat back on!  (Wait - it gets better.)  He then keeps walking towards the front door, disappearing from view.  Shortly afterwards, there's a knock at the door.  The heroine - who just saw a two-footed, monstrous wolfman walking towards the door - answers it.  When she opens it, what does she see, but that bundled-up man standing there, although she can't see his wolfy face because he's all bundled up, with his recently dislodged hat on.  So what did she expect?  The Fuller Brushman?  She screams (heroines always screamed in the Ross novel; good sets of lungs those girls had - they were also good runners, always running from something chasing them), causing the wolfman to take off the hat and unwrap the scarf and - well, low-and-behold - it's not some monster but none other than Quentin himself!  Ta-da!  It was just so goofy!  But I loved those books.  I'm in the mood to take some off the shelf and read them over again.

Gerard

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 06:47:41 PM »
welcome, darkenedlight.

MR... I really really want that as a giant poster on my living room wall.   I want people to see it without ever knowing DS.   I would not explain it.   There's my sense of humor, in a neat package, right there.

Offline darkenedlight

• 0.o
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 08:18:14 PM »
As for the Ross novels, I think I stopped reading them around Barnabas, Quentin and the Nightmare Assassin, which is something like book #18 (though I continued to buy them - but as I've said before, the main reason I bought any of them was just for the cover photo  ;)). They're just too different from the actual show, what with Barnabas roaming all around in all different time periods when he should have been chained in his coffin.  ::)  So, I've never read Body Snatchers. How unfortunate (or, perhaps, very lucky) for me.  :D

Yeap, I feel the same. I just couldn't ease into the massive difference the books have from the show. Well, I bet at the time the books were a way to satisfy the audience who very much anticipated the episode when the weekend was over.  Despite the odd settings Ross puts Barnabas I have to say the covers are very "eye-candy-ish."  :D I liked a lot of the covers especially the book I have.

...and thanks for the welcome  ;)