Author Topic: Vexing Questions from Yesterday's Eps  (Read 1240 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Vexing Questions from Yesterday's Eps
« on: May 09, 2002, 01:52:10 AM »
Hmm, would you want to look like Jeff Clark if it meant you would be normal (or is that immortal?)?

Is Dr. Lang's home a duplex, or divided into town homes or condominiums?  I was puzzled the first time when Julia apparently had walked right into the house and knocked outside Dr. Lang's door, which opened into a hallway.  Then yesterday I noticed that there's a nameplate reading "Dr. Eric Lang" on the outside of this door.  Maybe this is just an office in his home where he sees patients ...

... And offers to give them electorcardiograms when they say they think they're going to have a stroke ...

Dr. Timothy E. Stoke's home also appears to be an apartment, but I was never sure ... people walk right in there, too, and his door opens into a hallway ...

Angelique's portrait ... does anyone find it as alluring as Roger does, with that sort of Mona Lisa smile ...?  Was any mention made of when Angelique had this painted, or did she just conjure it up?  My guess would be that she had it commissioned shortly after Josette's portrait arrived on the scene in 1795 ... though I think it has been pointed out in the past that she's in servant's garb rather than dressed like a lady ...

And this will have to be my last post until the week after next, so that I can complete two projects ...  Administrators have my permission to disable my account to prevent me from returning in that time ...  ;D

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
Re: Vexing Questions from Yesterday's Eps
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2002, 02:21:56 AM »
I'm a little puzzled by Lang's house too. Maybe that's supposed to be the hospital, or perhaps a doctor's office building (!)

As for Angelique's portrait - it materialized over the mantle in the Old House in 1796 while Josuah was telling Natalie about Angelique, replacing the portrait of Josette. I imagine Angelique simply conjured it up with magic rather than sit for it. She wouldn't have been able to pose while a maid, and why would she have appeared in a maid's outfit once married to Barnabas? Never made much sense to me.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2002, 04:54:52 AM »
Is Dr. Lang's home a duplex, or divided into town homes or condominiums?  I was puzzled the first time when Julia apparently had walked right into the house and knocked outside Dr. Lang's door, which opened into a hallway.  Then yesterday I noticed that there's a nameplate reading "Dr. Eric Lang" on the outside of this door.  Maybe this is just an office in his home where he sees patients ...

That's my assumption--that it's his home and he's got his office there.  Would bet the farm that it's not supposed to be a duplex, but a one family dwelling.

Dr. Timothy E. Stoke's home also appears to be an apartment, but I was never sure ... people walk right in there, too, and his door opens into a hallway ...

No, I think this is also supposed to be an actual house, albeit a tiny one.

Angelique's portrait ... does anyone find it as alluring as Roger does, with that sort of Mona Lisa smile ...?  Was any mention made of when Angelique had this painted, or did she just conjure it up?  My guess would be that she had it commissioned shortly after Josette's portrait arrived on the scene in 1795 ... though I think it has been pointed out in the past that she's in servant's garb rather than dressed like a lady ...

The portrait is, IMHO, pretty darn ugly.  It's not the Mona Lisa smile, it's the fact that it's just well, ugly.  I'm not a huge fan of LP's looks, but that picture is just an injustice to her--the 1970PT portrait, on the other hand, is really quite lovely.

If we were to try and come up with an explanation as to why or how that thing got painted historically, would be that she somehow conned or cast a spell on (because she would never have the money) a limner to paint it in anticipation of her upcoming marriage.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2002, 05:07:34 PM »
It puzzles me as to why Barnabas would want to look like Jeff Clark.  I mean, not that Mr. Clark is Barney Fife or anything like that, but Barnabas has to be pretty durn luv-struck to want to endure that.  My motto is:  if you're than gull dang lonely, get a parakeet.

I'm also no fancier of Angelique's portrait.  She looks like she has a mustache from a distance.  Maybe back in 1795, she was posing for a painting to be used on her passport or for her horse-and-carriage driver's license.

Gerard

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2002, 07:59:53 PM »
It puzzles me as to why Barnabas would want to look like Jeff Clark.  I mean, not that Mr. Clark is Barney Fife or anything like that, but Barnabas has to be pretty durn luv-struck to want to endure that.  My motto is:  if you're than gull dang lonely, get a parakeet.

I'm also no fancier of Angelique's portrait.  She looks like she has a mustache from a distance.  Maybe back in 1795, she was posing for a painting to be used on her passport or for her horse-and-carriage driver's license.

Gerard

Jeff Clark isn't bad looking guys it's just his voice, personality,screaming etc.. Barnabas just wants to be young so he can chase those PYTs better! Hey who can blame him! love to have my mind now back in a 25ish body(Well maybe i'll work on this mind LOL) ;D

Also hate the painting of Angelique! It really isn't very good :o must have been a bad spell day for her!!! :o

jennifer
having a bad hair day myself :o :o :o :o :o

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2002, 12:43:04 AM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that portrait is ugly! Well, at least she didn't have a black wig on in it, that would've made it worse! The 1970 PT one was much, much better and looked more then Lara then the 1796/1968 one is.

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2002, 02:20:18 AM »
I don't think that Barney especially wants to look like Jeff Clark, he just wants Vicky to love him. If she is in love with Jeff, then pull the ol' switcheroo on her....

It is kind of funny how we give Barney such a hard time for his preference of nubile youth and assume that the girls in question won't be interested. Which they pretty much aren't. BUT, when this show was originally on, many of us WERE sweet young things and we were MADLY in love with him!

I'm happy to disagree about Angie's portrait. I don't know why she is dressed like a maid, but I think it captures her personality. The eyes follow you and the smirk says it all. Granted the 1970PT portrait is much better, it is sensational, but that doesn't make me dislike this one.

Now the painting of the "first" Barnabas, that one I do hate. The interview copied here recently explains why it looks so wrong. It was of someone else and they just painted Frid's face in at the last minute. His face seems puffy and fat and he looks like he is suffering from hemorrhoids! (Wasn't he supposed to be a happy young man in it? I guess that got written in too late). I guess we also have that stupid portrait to thank for that hairstyle, which I had never quite understood.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Tanis

• Full Poster
  • I Love Dark Shadows
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2002, 06:26:03 AM »
I think Angelique looks bloated on the portrait.  Her face looks puffy.  Wrong time of the month? ;D

Tanis
There are no strangers, only friends we've yet to meet.