Author Topic: Art Gallery on DSBoards?  (Read 3049 times)

Offline Maybellique

• Full Poster
  • To HELL with canon!
    • View Profile
Art Gallery on DSBoards?
« on: April 23, 2007, 03:43:39 AM »
I wasn't certain where to post this, but I figured since this seems to be quite a frequented portion of this
forum that I might as well post this where everyone's bound to see it. I've been fixating on other series
forums lately, particularly that of Doctor Who. What I've been noticing is a constant in these forums is an
art gallery... a place where one can- say- display avatars, drawings, paintings, manips, songs, fics, vids, etc.
Being very much into art, I was wondering if the creators of this forum would be opposed to dedicating a part
of this board to us art enthusiasts who just love to show off our creative sides? Could be fun. ... :) ~DJ

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Art Gallery on DSBoards?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 05:52:33 AM »
Hey, DW fan!   Look at my stuff!  And they just showed the first Eccleston story on PBS here, less than two hours ago!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline chocolatevampire

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 06:02:13 PM »
Does this look like Julia?

I hate Julia. Nothing against the actress. But, I hate her face. She wore too much make up and looked like Michael Jackson. Plus her hair was always a mess.

Acrylic on canvas.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 06:35:20 PM »
I think her face is great.   How you feel is going to show up in the painting.    Anyway, some pronounced physical features you exaggerated a bit, which is natural to do.  Chin, eyebrow.  I have to keep reducing the size of this or that very often, wearing holes in the paper.   Heads, I have to keep fighting to do large enough.

Is it only #1 which is a painting?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline chocolatevampire

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 06:52:41 PM »
I've fixed her chin since this picture but I think it doesn't look like her. I'll have to redo her lips. The painting is 8 or 9 inches tall and the stupid, blurry, pixelated, picture I am using that I can't really see facial landmarks is only baseball card size and on the computer.

Yes, only the first picture is the painting. I want to get her features right before I easle the canvas and work on better skin color. Hate those '60's colors. I am painting this for my friend as a gift.

You should try drawing with grids.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 06:54:04 PM »
What I've been noticing is a constant in these forums is an art gallery... a place where one can- say- display avatars, drawings, paintings, manips, songs, fics, vids, etc. Being very much into art, I was wondering if the creators of this forum would be opposed to dedicating a part of this board to us art enthusiasts who just love to show off our creative sides? Could be fun. ... :)

The forum actually has an art gallery where members can post drawings, painting and manips - though it's not currently available. It's part of the Members' Archive. And hopefully the MA will return in the not too distant future after the forum's system has been upgraded to SMF 1.1. Until then most members have been posting such things on the Calendar Events / Announcements boards or starting topics on those boards to link to their own Web sites.  ;)

However, as the guidelines mention, the forum doesn't accept fanfic (filksongs, vignettes, stories, etc.). Video is something we *might* consider in the future - but it would have to be restricted in some way because we don't have unlimited space for members to upload such things. Again, most members who've created video have been starting topics on the CE/A boards to link to their own Web sites.  :)

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 07:25:15 PM »
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 12:17:45 AM »
You notice asymmetries and those are usually the most interesting parts, while most people draw symmetrically instinctively.    The assymmetries are magnified here though.

I say this stuff because I need these kinds of comments myself.   It's maddenning only seeing through your own eyes.

Offline chocolatevampire

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 01:19:00 AM »
I think I have everything good except her lips and chin. I've covered the painting so I won't see it all day and I hope that works.

Offline Maybellique

• Full Poster
  • To HELL with canon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 01:30:49 AM »
Magnus Trask: That's great! Eccleston was a great Doctor, but I think I'm extra fond of Tennant. I'm just getting into the older Doctors, and I'm finding that Tom Baker has his own charm (the 4th incarnate). I've seen a few of his episodes and really liked them, but I'm looking forward to watching the entire series day by day from beginning to end. The novelizations, too, seem pretty appealing, so I won't shirk from reading them.

I once had it in my mind to read the old DS books, but I kept hearing that Willie was described unfavorably by the author. "Ugly"? And then Jeff Clark was handsome? Someone needed to clean out their glasses. ;)

Chocolate Vampire: What is it about artists and acrylic? I've met so many people who seem to love to paint in acrylic. Or is it that it's just a cheaper medium?

The painting is easily identifiable as Julia, first off. The most blatant problem I see here is with the chin and how it droops a little too much. I think there might be a shading problem somewhere around there. Her jawline seems to require a little more. ...The eyes are absolutely beautiful. I think Grayson would have loved this...

Mysterious Benefactor: There you are! And you've answered my question. So, do people post links to their fanfics, rather than just post them here? Not that I have anything of the kind to show  off. I haven't sat and typed out a good fanfic in ages! Vids are another thing. I wasn't thinking about uploading vids directly to the board, but rather direct linking them from- say- youtube (or maybe even just posting a link).

Idk, I just suddenly got the hankering for some Dark Shadows art. I don't see many of that online. There's some gorgeous depictions in the Karlenzine, and a friend of mine has taken a liking to drawing the characters in cartoony form on deviant art, but other than that, the net leaves me starved. :) As far as DS art goes, that is. ;)

I hope it all works out! If an art gallery is in our near future, I certainly can't wait to see all the artists on this board come out of the woodwork. ;)   ~DJ

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 01:45:06 AM »
I think I have everything good except her lips and chin. I've covered the painting so I won't see it all day and I hope that works.

Oh, you have to do that.    Getting determined not to quit until you've fixed everything can result in (in my case) obsession, massive amounts of lost time and sleep, eye trauma (that's just me), and holes in paper. 

It's the bottom half of the face, which is veering toward the viewer's right about twice as much as in the photo.    I notice the bottom half of the nose doing that in particular.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 04:40:45 AM »
So, do people post links to their fanfics, rather than just post them here?

Yes.  Links to several stories have been posted on the various Calendar Events / Announcements boards by Forum cousins.  :D

Vids are another thing. I wasn't thinking about uploading vids directly to the board, but rather direct linking them from- say- youtube (or maybe even just posting a link).

Posting a link to the webpage, i.e. the YouTube page, is definitely the way to go.

Offline Maybellique

• Full Poster
  • To HELL with canon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 03:53:35 PM »
Excellent. Thanks! I don't believe I've ever posted links to my vids here, come to think of it. I'll have to do
that the next time I get a couple uploaded. :) 

Again, thanks for answering my questions. ~DJ

Offline darkenedlight

• 0.o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 09:36:14 PM »
Hey, DW fan!   Look at my stuff!  And they just showed the first Eccleston story on PBS here, less than two hours ago!

:D And btw your art is highly appealing to the eye, love the style and composition. I too have my fan-art of Doctor Who and Dark Shadows. I am happy that there is a section for art on this forum, many have no idea how I am itching to submit something. I cant wait for the section to available  ;D

Offline chocolatevampire

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 12:17:29 AM »
:D And btw your art is highly appealing to the eye, love the style and composition. I too have my fan-art of Doctor Who and Dark Shadows. I am happy that there is a section for art on this forum, many have no idea how I am itching to submit something. I cant wait for the section to available  ;D

Why not post a few in this thread? I'd like to view them.