Author Topic: What tape is this episode on?  (Read 1359 times)

Offline chocolatevampire

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
What tape is this episode on?
« on: April 17, 2007, 04:30:58 PM »
I have almost all of the DS video tapes and to save me time I'd like to know what tape, by number, has the episodes of the first appearance of the Naga, or whatever they are called, and the end of the Quentin story or whatever when Julia checks Barnabas' heart beat after he reappears in the coffin in her time. Not sure what story that is. I have the video series that starts with Barnabas' story not the collector's edition that starts with Victoria.

I think that would be a problem for anyone who wanted to show DS on their station. They'd have to start it from Barny not from episode 1 because I know I ain't watching all those boring episodes with just Victoria. I don't like her.

Thank You

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: What tape is this episode on?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 04:41:08 PM »
Hi,

As regards Julia checking Barnabas' heartbeat when he reappears in the coffin, I believe you are thinking of a scene that is on tape 87 of the original MPI series.

The Altar of the Naga is first seen, if memory serves, in episodes on tape 130 (may be 131).

Best wishes,

Gothick

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 06:13:55 PM »
One of the DS Alamanacs (I believe the millennium edition) has a list of what episode #s are on what tape.
DS Memories has a solid episode guide in the back by episode #.
Together, the two are very helpful and are useful in locating a particular episode and where it is on the tape.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 06:57:47 PM »
My personal favorite episode guide is the one in the revised edition (so revised it really should hardly bear the same title) of My DS Scrapbook Memories.  I don't believe that one has the MPI tape numbers, though.

I answered this individual's question based on my own memories of viewing the tapes because the scenes s/he mentioned are ones I've viewed a number of times.  I realize that does qualify me for some sort of so-geeky-he's-beyond-the-pale certificate...

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 07:23:54 PM »
My personal favorite episode guide is the one in the revised edition (so revised it really should hardly bear the same title) of My DS Scrapbook Memories.

Sadly, though, despite claims to the contrary that all the errors in the originally published DS Program Guide are corrected in the DS Memories version, some remain.  [sad3]  (But then, what would a DS PomPress book be without errors?  ::))

I don't believe that one has the MPI tape numbers, though.

No, it doesn't - only the original has the MPI VHS tape info.

I answered this individual's question based on my own memories of viewing the tapes because the scenes s/he mentioned are ones I've viewed a number of times.  I realize that does qualify me for some sort of so-geeky-he's-beyond-the-pale certificate...

Not at all! It simply qualifies you as a knowledgeable fan.  ;)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 08:09:17 PM »
Yeah... I have no idea where they cooked up the notion that Nicholas was the one who cursed Jeb with the Shadow, for example...

baffled beyond endurance,

Gothick

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 04:13:04 AM »
I don't have the tapes, only DVDs, but the Naga showed up in Episode 885.  According to http://www.darkshadows.com/main.html this episode is on MPI Tape: Dark Shadows Volume 130 (MP5130).  One can check and see if you have that tape.  When Barnabas leaves 1897, he doesn't return by way of his coffin so the scene where Julia goes to him is in an earlier storyline.  I believe it's during the Ghost of Quentin storyline, before 1897.  He goes to rescue Vicki from hanging again in 179(6) because the writers forgot it was 1795. LOL  I just looked on the above link and found that this takes place in Episode 666, MPI Tape: Dark Shadows Volume 087 (MP5087).  When Julia and Willie go to let Barnabas out of the coffin, Julia yells at Willie to hurry up and break the chains.  I have a great screen grab of her yelling at him. ;)

Hope this helps.
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 04:28:43 AM »
He goes to rescue Vicki from hanging again in 179(6) because the writers forgot it was 1795.

Actually, Vicki was hung in 1796 - March 1796 (or April 1796 if one wants to go by the restaging). The timing is completely deductible from other referred to dates in the storyline. It's when the show refers to those events having taken place in 1795 (and even 1797!) that the timing is wrong.  And, of course, it doesn't help when the opening voiceovers continue to refer to 1795 when things have actually shifted to 1796. But then, they did the same thing during 1840/41.  ::)