Author Topic: *** Big Changes Ahead ***  (Read 22379 times)

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Re: *** Big Changes Ahead ***
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2007, 07:52:38 PM »
so does this mean that we need to use light colors so when the background changes we will have the color effects that we want?? Or are they just going to contrast. Like a negitive.???
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2007, 08:04:37 PM »
Everyone should just keep posting the way they always have. There's no need to adjust colors.  :)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2007, 10:04:55 PM »
I like the lightning bolt. I probably won't see it with the accessibilty features though.    I'd like to.   I saw the image you gave of the new look... you definitely must have dark colors like those.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2007, 11:05:43 PM »
But as soon as it's even mostly presentable, just to get rid of this one, I may simply install the Lightning Theme and then continue tweaking it...

I vote yes!

(looks great, BTW)
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2007, 01:52:30 AM »
That really looks awesome, MB! I am so on the edge of my seat. Thanks for your efforts. And congrats to you, Midnite!
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2007, 02:09:41 AM »
Thanks!  And thank you for noticing, Magnus!

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2007, 07:35:36 AM »
Wow!!  Apparently, you didn't even have to take it off-line to make the changes.  I was in the midst of reading things, when suddenly the whole appearance totally changed!!!

It's very impressive.  However, with the menu on the side, it seems to cramp the main viewing board.  I don't care for that too much.
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2007, 07:43:12 AM »
The Lightning Theme is in place. But keep in mind that the scripts for this theme are not all completed and the theme will continue to evolve. The only reason that it's in place before it's complete is because I was dying to get rid of SMF's default theme. However, if anyone would prefer to go back to it, simply use the "Look and Layout" link in the "Profile Menu" submenu, click on "(change)" opposite "Current Theme: Forum or Board Default", and then choose "Variations on Blue" (though it's no longer actually Variation on Blue - though VoB will return, so I didn't bother to change the name there).

The only pages that should be complete at this point for members are the BoardIndex, the MessageIndex, topic displays, and the Calendar. (And that's only for members - there's still a bit more work to be done on some of those for admins/mods  ;)) Every other page is still in transition, and all the final icons, fonts and buttons are not in place. I've simply added a few just to have something (like this "new" icon which will be history very soon).

Also, this theme is designed to be used with a monitor resolution of 1024X768 (which has quickly become the Web standard) (or larger). If you're not currently using at least that resolution, you'll see a warning at the top of the screen above the forum's logo - and more importantly, the right side will not be displaying correctly.

But anyway, enjoy what is complete so far...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2007, 12:27:54 PM »
Maybe it's just my computer.  But with the new format, if I open the boards on IE, no movement (up and down) bar appears on the right hand side.  If I use IE, I won't be able to use the board!  It does appear on Netscape, however, and thankfully I also have that.  Is it just my computer, or is there a kink with IE that still needs to be worked out?

Gerard

Offline barnabasjr

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2007, 01:03:54 PM »
Is it just my computer, or is there a kink with IE that still needs to be worked out?

Gerard
It isn't just yours, Gerard. This happens for me in IE7, and the menu on the left doesn't work either. Fortunately for me I'm a Firefox user 99% of the time, so I am able to make this post.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 11, 2007, 01:17:55 PM »
It isn't just yours, Gerard. This happens for me in IE7, and the menu on the left doesn't work either. Fortunately for me I'm a Firefox user 99% of the time, so I am able to make this post.

It's weird.  On my IE, while the right-hand movement bar doesn't appear, the menu seems to work (at least what I've tried with it on IE).  However, if it opens up a link, again, there is no movement bar.

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 11, 2007, 01:45:14 PM »
is there a kink with IE that still needs to be worked out?

Sadly, any problems are most probably caused by IE itself.  [sad3]   [Blow_Up_IE]

I don't have IE7 so I don't actually know what's happening in it, but in IE6 the only problem I'm aware of is that sometimes, though not always, the display disappears off of the right hand side of the screen, even if someone is using a monitor resolution of 1024X768. But this is a well known and frequently lambasted issue with all versions of IE so far as I know. IE is simply not up to the W3C standards of today's Web design, particularly when it comes to xhtml. Supposedly putting IE in standards compliance mode will fix some problems, but surprise of surprises, not always and not all of them.  [Blow_Up_IE]  [Blow_Up_IE]. IE also has problems with DIVs (specifically overflow, which is why the display sometimes goes off the right side) - and this theme uses DIVs extensively.  [Blow_Up_IE] [Blow_Up_IE] [Blow_Up_IE]  But then, as I've lamented many times, IE is a piece of, well, you know what!!  [angryf]

I'm a Firefox user 99% of the time, so I am able to make this post.

Firefox is the browser that we highly recommend, chiefly because it understands everything it should because, unlike the idiotic IE developers, Firefox's developers actually keep it up to code. Being compliant with all current standards is quite obviously simply a novel notion at Microsoft.  ::)  >:(

If I use IE, I won't be able to use the board!

If IE causes too many problems, I strongly recommend going back to using SMF's default theme. IE users can do so as I laid out in reply #97.

Other new themes are in the works - *perhaps* IE will work better with them (though why am I not likely to hold my breath on that?  [Blow_Up_IE]). Or there's always the bloodred and Variations on Blue themes, once they've been updated for SMF 1.1.2...

Offline barnabasjr

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2007, 02:04:59 PM »
And thank youse, btw, for giving us this treat even while it's in progress. LOVE it!

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2007, 05:15:25 PM »
I am posting here, having to use very small font that I can barley see, having to squint. There are no scroll bars on this forum. I have them on my other pages that I visit. I don't think that there is anything wrong with my settings. Sorry to be so pesty. Right now i am typing at font 4 I usually use 12 or 13 but can't even scroll down the page or send. -----

ßß
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2007, 05:20:06 PM »
Wow! This is super fabulous! Thanks for all your hard work...I LOVE it!
[cheer] [clap2] [headbang] [hello] [cheer]
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."