Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0274  (Read 1027 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0274
« on: April 12, 2007, 03:58:28 PM »

IluvBarnabas

Re: Discuss - Ep #0274
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 05:27:36 PM »
Well, Jason is a man who doesn't know when he's beaten. He's up to his old, blackmailing tactics, only this time he's doing it to his old pal Willie.

He intimidated Willie, but not enough to satisify his greed. This has already been brought up, but why, oh why did Jason feel he needed to brow-beat Willie into giving him money? Has he forgotten about the swiss bank account he forced Elizabeth into giving to him? Not likely, considering what a golddigger he is. Why didn't he think about living on that instead of blackmailing Willie? Or risk being caught and arrested by breaking into the Old House?

Love the scene between Jason and Vicki. I don't really believe he knew anything about Vicki's parentage though, he just had to get the last word in and get her goat. Funny he should talk about her getting her comeuppance....[spoiler]he's only one episode away from getting his. No one deserved a comeuppance more than the unscrupulous Mr. Jason McGuire.....except for the overzealous Trasks.[/spoiler]

Great episode.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 09:47:29 PM »
In this episode, Barnabas says that there are certain requirements to his existence, and one of them is that there must be a Josette.  Very strange.  I don't remember it ever getting stated again, so I guess that it was just a lead-in to the message for the eavesdropping Jason that Barnabas was the madman who kidnapped Maggie.  Still, I would like to know what it meant.  At this point we are assuming, I think, that Barnabas made a pact with the devil in order to become a vampire.  Did the devil tell him, "There's just one condition..."?

Jason just gets better and better.  He has been done out of his latest get-rich-quick scheme, but he's still in there pitching.  It's a pity he has to get out of town.  I'd like to see him going to Sam Evans and offering to sell him information about what really happened to poor, dead Maggie, and he could have some more fun predicting disaster to Vicky - who rises to the bait so easily that it's pathetic.  "What do you mean?  What do you know?"  Oh, gosh, she sure needs to learn how to say: "That's nice.  Goodbye."

I liked the background for the closing credits - the chair with the indented cushion, which should be in the Smithsonian along with Archie Bunker's chair, and the jewel "chest", which, as I've mentioned before, always looks pretty skimpy to me.  If Willie dipped both hands into that for Jason, there would be nothing left for Barnabas.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 08:06:00 AM »
All Barnabas means by conditions for his existence are the things he needs or feels he needs.   The conditions necessary for most people's existences are things such as air, water, shelter, then more personal vital things.    For him it's a coffin, a conflicted lackey, and his best girl by his side, even if she's fairly dead.     Second best won't do.

Great dialogue at this point.    The building resolution of the Jason situation is very satisfying, even line by line.    Jason seems to get more and more magnetic and verbally sharp as he races toward his doom.   The writers didn't get the memo that this was supposed to be 'just' a soap opera or 'just' some show with ghosts and vampires running around.   It's totally grown up and credible.   No one told them these episodes would only be seen once, either, apparently.   Or they knew better.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

CT!_CTP/FITBs

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 11:29:59 AM »
Be sure to check out these (hopefully  ;)) humorous topics related to this episode:

From "Caption This!":

From "Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s)":

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 06:02:18 PM »
I wonder If Barnabas had been doing some reading on Brainwashing. julia should give him some pointers.  Can you imagine Willie going to the library, (if he had ever been in one), and checking out a book for Barnabas. Conditioning 101.  ::)

It was nice to see that Carolyn came back to help her mother. It looks like they are in for a new beginning.

The Brooch might have been something that Barnabas wouldn't miss.

Jason, just wants to create problems for everyone, Vickie, Willie, anad Barnabas. He doesn't know he meet his match.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 11:54:03 AM »
At first, when I saw Jason and Vicki's exchange at the Blue Whale, I thought that Jason knew who Vicki's father was, but now I'm not so sure...  After all, Jason was Paul's friend, not Elizabeth's. [sadg]

Jason is too greedy for his own good.  I guess maybe he spent all that money in that Swiss Bank Account - or  maybe he just wanted to get all that he could get?  Hooray for Willie!  [cheer] He only gave Jason that one little brooch, which Barnabas probably wouldn't miss.  [winkg]

----- Sally -----

[coolg]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 03:18:13 PM »
I'll bet Barnabas would miss the brooch.  I'll bet he can tell story after story about each and every piece in that jewelry box.  But Willie would figure that the beating he'd get would be worth it for keeping Jason out of Barnabas's hair.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 05:46:34 PM »
Barnabas probobly knows everything about Collinwood and the Old House. What else did he do when he was in his coffin but take inventory  and do a mental diary. Jason didn't know what was good for him.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 07:04:38 PM »
I'll bet one big source of income for Swiss banks is from guys who die and can't claim their money, so the banks eventually take it.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor