Author Topic: The Wicked Woman--'91 remix  (Read 1099 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
The Wicked Woman--'91 remix
« on: March 21, 2007, 10:21:43 PM »
I've been revisiting some of the 1991 remake episodes of our beloved series.  I was tickled to see that the writers brought back the old notion of a Tarot card identified by the Countess du Pres as "the wicked woman."  As we've discussed on a number of occasions on this forum, there is no such card in any orthodox edition of the Tarot.

I had speculated that the Countess may have been in the habit of regarding one of the standard cards of the Tarot as "the Wicked Woman" because it tended to reveal the presence of a female intent on mischief.  I believe I speculated that the card might have been one of the Queens.

I was amused to see two different episodes in which the Countess exclaimed "the wicked woman!" in the midst of a Tarot reading and on both occasions, the camera showed us which card she had just drawn.  On the first occasion it was the Queen of Pentacles, and on the second, the Queen of Swords.

Of course, there is still a broad streak of anachronism here.  There were no commercially available tarot decks around in the 1780s/90s, and a French aristocrat such as the Countess would have undoubtedly commissioned her own deck.  It would have given the French names for the Major and Minor Arcana.  Pentacles did not come into play on Tarot cards until the publication of the so-called "Rider Waite Deck" (the work of mystic and artist Pamela Colman Smith, working from descriptive outlines supplied by Golden Dawn initiate and master A. E. Waite) in 1910.  A deck created in the 1780s or earlier would like have used coins (deniers) in the suit that eventually became diamonds in standard playing cards and pentacles in most Tarot decks.  This was the case with the Marseilles deck and the popular Swiss "IJJ" deck around 1800--either would have been a suitable prop for the Countess to use.  Instead, however, the production crew provided her with what looks like a typical 1980s "Aquarian Age" type deck, complete with card designations in English.

Well, after all, the show was "filmed on location in Beverly Hills"!

I have to say that this time around, I was more impressed than I expected to be by Lysette Anthony's performance as Angelique.  It's really unfortunate that the breakneck pace of the series, and the calibre of the scripts, did not give her more to do in the role.  I've seen her in UK productions and she's a fine craftswoman as an actress.

G.

IluvBarnabas

Re: The Wicked Woman--'91 remix
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 03:01:29 AM »
I've only seen Lysette in the 1991 DS but I'll take your word that she's a good actress since I've never seen any of her other work.

As far as DS goes, however, she can't hold a candle to Lara Parker.

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 03:48:37 AM »
I've only seen Lysette in the 1991 DS but I'll take your word that she's a good actress since I've never seen any of her other work.

I liked her performance in the DS remake and I really thought she did a good job in Trilogy of Terror II.
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 06:44:11 PM »
I agree with you Gothick regarding Lysette Anthony, I think she did a fantastic job as the new Angelique. Lysette's Angelique was just hell bent on getting whatever she wanted and didn't care who got maimed/killed/damned in the process. You don't get the impression that she loved Barnabas at all, only that she wanted to possess him body and soul.

And thanks for the history regarding the Tarot Deck! I always assumed the Countess was speaking of one of the Queens as well.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 07:15:50 PM »
An interesting postscript to this thread:  last night, rewatching some scenes from the extraordinary Anchor Bay DVD release of George Romero's fabulous 1972 sleeper Season of the Witch, I noticed that the hereditary Witch tapped the Queen of Swords during a Tarot reading and called it "the Wicked Woman."  Still more interesting, the card referred to a woman with whom the husband of a friend of the heroine's was having an adulterous affair.

I should go check Eden Gray and see whether she describes the Q of Swords as "the Wicked Woman" in this way...

G.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 08:24:27 PM »
The 1991 remake was my first "visual" experience with DS.  I had heard the album of my moms as a kid.  However, I loved the new DS...just like the first run fans love the old one.  I love the old one too though.  I do however love Lysette and I refuse to compare her and Lara, I think they both did lovely intepretations of Angie!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 11:03:35 PM »
I do however love Lysette and I refuse to compare her and Lara, I think they both did lovely intepretations of Angie!

And that's probably the right approach to have when it comes to the original and the '91 DS. As an excerpt from the '05 version of The Night Stalker that I'd posted back then cautioned (and I wholeheartedly agreed with at the time), it's unfortunate that the inevitable cry is "Sacrilege!" whenever a genre classic is remade, and that all too often people spend way too much time bemoaning the ways in which the new version deviates from what they know and love, and too little time considering whether the new material stands up in its own right. Especially when these very same people are often the first ones to say that if such and such is remade, they hope the remake goes in different directions from the original because they don't want to see the exact same material redone the exact same way.  :-