Author Topic: #0210/0211: Robservations 10/18/01: The Courtly Cousin From England  (Read 2249 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Episode #210 - There are no limits to the things some men will do--they sink to the bottomless depths of corruption. They will desecrate sacred ground, and violate that which should remain sealed forever.

Willie returns to Collinwood, closing the doors behind him. He heads upstairs. Jason, heading out of the kitchen, spies him and asks where he's going. MY room, replies Willie. Come down here, orders Jason, I want to talk to you--now! What do you want? asks Willie. Where have you been? demands Jason. Out...around, says Willie. Don't give me answers like that! says Jason angrily--come down here. Willie complies. I want to know where you've been and what you've been doing, says Jason. What are you gettin' so nosy about? asks Willie. Now on the bottom step. You've been acting kind of strange, says Jason. Willie denies this, but Jason reminds him he knows him--you've been quiet and cagey--I've seen you like this before--you've got something going for yourself--and I want to know what it is. Willie shakes his head and insists he doesn't know what Jason is talking about--then grins at Barnabas' portrait.

Look at me when I'm talking to you, commands Jason. I can hear ya, says Willie, but Jason, furious pulls Willie around to look at him, shaking him by the shoulders. What, are you gonna get rough with me? asks a grinning Willie. As rough as I have to be! says Jason, to pound some sense into your head. What's the matter? asks Willie innocently. You're up to something, accuses Jason, shaking a finger at him, I've been adding things up, you've been asking a lot of questions, the kind that shouldn't interest you, about the Collins family.
Nice people, remarks Willie. The ones that are dead? asks Jason. History, says Willie--hey, they go back a long time. This painting, says Jason, what is that to you? Art, replies Willie. Who are you kidding? asks Jason. I like lookin' at it, says Willie. What about those books you've had your nose buried in--since when has reading become your hobby? I'm a curious guy, says Willie. Yes, you're curious says Jason--you won't tell me what you're up to. Nothin', says Willie, honest, I swear on a bible! The bible you could swear on will never be written, says Jason grimly. All right, says Willie cheerfully, I'll swear on a stack of sawbucks. He sits on the foyer table. That might convince me, says Jason--I don't know, cause you've got something on your mind. Just money, that's all, says Willie--when am I gonna get some? Mrs. Stoddard just told me she'll have it for you in a few minutes, says Jason. Are you sure? asks Willie. Yes, says Jason, I just saw a man from her company delivery an envelope to her--I know it's here. Well, get it, man, get it! encourages Willie. I will, says Jason, but I want you to go up there and pack! You want me out tonight? asks Willie. That's right, says Jason. OK, if that's the way you want it, says Willie, jumping off the table. Liz pokes her head out of the drawing room, asking to see Jason for a moment. Sure, says Jason, then quietly tells Willie that this is it--she's going to give me the cash now. I'll just go up and pack, says Willie, heading upstairs.

Drawing room - Liz thrown an envelope down on the desk. Here, count it, she tells Jason. He picks it up and assures her he trusts her. I don't trust you, she says, count it. I can tell by the feel of it, he says. See that your friend gets out of this house when you give it to him, orders Liz, right now! Of course, says Jason, and I'm sorry this had to happen. I'm sure, she says sarcastically. But I am, he says, I wanted this to be quiet, the same way you wanted something kept quiet. The silence is costing too much, she warns him. You can't put a price on the kind of silence you're buying, he reminds her. There will be a limit to it, she warns him.
You're always so businesslike, he protests. Just get your friend out of this house immediately! She says. Of course, he agrees--immediately. She leaves the room. Jason takes the money out of the envelope.

Willie goes to a shed on the property and begins to stash tools in a bag, clanking them noisily. He takes a length of rope and a pulley that are hanging from a post, and stuffs those into the bag, too.

Willie heads for the Collins family mausoleum, walking slowly through the fog, a probably-stolen flashlight in hand. He hears a dog barking and stops for a moment, unnerved, but continues to break into the outer door, working diligently on the lock.

11 PM - Vicki knocks at the drawing room door. Come in, says Liz. Vicki asks her if she's busy. Not really, says Liz--what did you want? I wondered where you were, says Vicki, holding herself as if cold--the house is so quiet. Carolyn's out, isn't she? asks Liz. Yes, says Vicki. She seems to be staying away from the house as much as possible, says Liz--she's frightened of that man. I am, too, says Vicki. Liz apologizes. Why is all this happening? asks Vicki. I'd rather not talk about it, says Liz. How much longer are we going to have to put up with Willie Loomis? Asks Vicki. Liz rises and assures her she doesn't have to worry about it anymore--I've taken care of it--he's leaving. When? asks Vicki joyfully. Right away, says Liz. That's wonderful! says Vicki. It was impossible for him to stay here any longer. Carolyn's going to be very happy, says Vicki--I was afraid he was going to stay here a long time--is he leaving town? Yes, says Liz. And Mr. McGuire is going with him? asks Vicki. No, says Liz. I thought they traveled everywhere together, says Vicki. I don't know or care, says Liz, sitting on the sofa. What was it that made Willie want to leave? asks Vicki. Does it matter? asks Liz. He's been acting so strangely lately, says Vicki, even Mr. McGuire couldn't figure it out. Couldn't figure what out? asks Liz. His interest in the Collins family, says Vicki, he's been asking all sorts of questions going back 200 years, and he even read up in some old books dealing with the family history--he was quiet fascinated by that portrait in the foyer, says Vicki, that one near the door, the man with all the jewelry. Oh, yes, Barnabas, says Liz. I've seen him staring in front of it, just staring at it, says Vicki. Barnabas Collins was known for his jewelry, says Liz, he wore quite a lot of it, as you can see in the portrait--strange that a man like Willie Loomis would be so interested in jewels that only exist in a painting.

Willie finally succeeds in breaking the lock into the tomb. He enters, closing the squeaky door behind him. He surveys the three plaques on the wall.

Willie walks over to the plaques, shining the flashlight on each in turn. Joshua Collins, born, 1755, died 1830. Naomi Collins, born 1761, died 1821. He reads her name aloud eagerly, then looks at her coffin, grabbing onto the rope ring near the top of it, giving it a tug. He tries to pull it open, straining and grunting, but can't open it. He tries the other end, with the same result. He reaches for the bag of tools he brought in, taking out a crowbar, and tries working open the coffin with that, but is unable to despite immense effort, and, frustrated, tosses away the crowbar. He looks outside the mausoleum, running a hand through his hair, then sits down on Joshua's casket and lights a cigarette, furiously throwing down the match. He walks around the coffins for a few seconds, , grabbing into the rope ring again. He takes out the rope and pulley, attaching the latter to the rope ring, then begins to thread the rope through a ring hanging from a lion's mouth above the plaque. When he hears the heartbeat, he drops the entire device, hands pressed over his mouth in a gesture of terror.

Jason comes downstairs as Liz exits the kitchen. Well? she asks, is he gone? I'm working on that right now, says Jason, he went up to pack. Why is he taking so long? asks Liz, he hasn't that much to pack. He'll be gone, soon! says Jason. I assume he was pleased with the contents of the envelope, says Liz. He will be, Jason assures her. What do you mean, will be? asks Liz, haven't you given it to him yet. No, says Jason reluctantly, I'm trying to find him. Where is he? asks Liz. Don't worry about it, says Jason. I do worry about it, says Liz, I wouldn't have given you the money. I'll find him, says Jason, you're getting what you want, you're getting rid of him, leave the rest to me. I have left the rest to you, says Liz sourly, and he's still here somewhere--I paid a price to get rid of him, and I want my money's worth. You'll get it, Jason assures her, I'll take care of it! Well take care of it! says Liz--now! She heads upstairs. Jason looks perturbed over Willie's disappearance.

Willie, gasping in fear, backs away from the sound of the heartbeat. He looks out the gate. The heartbeat stops. Willie looks at the back wall, cautiously, then takes a puff on his cigarette and leaves it on the edge o Joshua's casket. He returns to the wall and hooks the opposite end of the pulley end into the ring on the lion's mouth. He pulls back, tugging hard, loops the rope around his wrist for better leverage. He pulls. The ring in the lion's mouth opens a secret panel in the wall behind Naomi's coffin. The heart beat begins again, louder and louder. Willie shakes his head, then sees that he's opened a door to what could be amazing riches. He steps forward, shining the flashlight into the darkness.
Willie enters the mysterious room, unmindful of the heartbeat in the light of this fascinating discovery. He finds a coffin inside, sealed with three chains. He examines the padlocks holding them together carefully, shining the flashlight n each in turn. Grinning exultantly, he goes into the outer room to get some tools. Using a pick and hammer, he begins working on the first lock.

Jason returns to Collinwood, looking none too happy. Vicki's in the drawing room, and he asks if she minds if he sits by the fire. Go ahead, she says, I'm just about finished. I didn't mean to disturb you, he says, I'll be very quiet. He sits by the fire. I guess I am finished, she says, rising. Please, he says, don't leave on my account. I'm leaving on my account, she says. I thought we were friends, he says. What makes you think we're not? she asks. I can tell, he says--oh, well, no matter--things will be quiet again very soon--I'm sure of it--my poor, misunderstood friend Willie will soon be gone, then everything will be back to normal again. I thought he's already left, she says, disturbed. I'm waiting to say goodbye to him now, says Jason. Where is he? she asks. I was looking for him myself, admits Jason. I think you may have missed him, says Vicki, I saw him leave--I was looking out my window and I saw him going--he seemed to be carrying his things.
Oh, but his things, they're up--you saw him carrying things? asks Jason. Yes, she says. I see, he says. Is he going or isn't he? asks Vicki. I'm not sure, says Jason, perplexed, he couldn't be gone--because I have this...well, he'd want to say goodbye--no matter, one way or the other, he'll be out of here--tonight.

Willie, eyes gleaming greedily, has finished opening the final lock. The last chain slips off the coffin. The heartbeat continues all around him, but Willie has only one thing on his mind as he begins to jimmy open the coffin with the crowbar. The heartbeat abruptly stops, and Willie looks up, pleased, grinning with glee. He succeeds in opening the coffin after prying it open in several different places. He takes all the tools off the top of the coffin, places them on the floor, and, delighted, opens the coffin.
His expression changes to one of immense terror as a beringed hand reaches out of the coffin and grabs his throat!

NOTES: One of the classic DS episodes! I notice that Jonathan Frid, Daniel Keyes and Clarice Blackburn are listed in the credits, even though we didn't see either of them in the episode today. Wonder what's up with that. Did they cut out some scenes with Mrs. J to make room for more commercials?

Willie is going to get a serious lesson in not letting greed get the better of him. Next time we see him, he's going to be a completely changed young man.

Jason believes Willie has something going for himself, and indeed he thought he did. Now Jason, holding Willie's $500, waits for him to come home, claim it, then leave again.

I remember watching this episode the first time, wondering what had reached out of that coffin to grab Willie's throat. Now I know, of course, but that final moment is still no less thrilling every time I see it! My God, the expression on Willie's face, and the way he shuddered as the hand took hold of him!

Suspense doesn't get much better than this on a Friday, believe me, friends!

Episode #211 - The dawn will soon come to Collinwood and bring with it the unresolved troubles of another day. A frightening and violent man has disappeared, but the fears he created have not disappeared with him, wherever he is, some violence is surely taking place.

Drawing room - Liz tells Jason that's not what she wanted to hear. I thought you always insisted on the truth, says Jason. I insist on you keeping your promise, she reminds him.
And I'll keep it, he says. Your promise was that Willie would be gone from here last night, says Liz. Well, says Jason, as far as anyone can tell, he is. He hasn't gone, his things are still here, says Liz. Maybe he decided to have one last night on the town, suggests Jason. You know that isn't true, says Liz, Who can be sure? asks Jason. Collinsport offers very little entertainment for a man like your friend Willie, she says. If he were in any trouble, we'd have heard about it, says Jason--Willie is not famous for his anonymity. It was bad enough when he was here, comments Liz, but at least I thought we were keeping an eye on him--now who knows what he's up to. Maybe he decided to leave without any fond farewells, suggests Jason. I can imagine him leaving without any fond farewells, agrees Liz, but not without the money. Then isn't that our assurance that he'll turn up sooner or later? asks Jason. I don't want it sooner or later, I want it now! says Liz. But I've looked for him, insists Jason, ever place conceivable. Look for him in a few inconceivable places, suggests Liz, knowing him, I suspect that's where he'll be. She looks out the window. But Liz, he says, it just doesn't make sense--you're asking me to look for someone and bring him here--then send him away again. Are you sure you don't know what he's doing? she asks. I've told you I don't know, he says--you have my word for it. Your word! She says disdainfully. Yes, my word, he says. I've had your word once before, she reminds him. And I've kept it, he says, I haven't said a word, to anyone, about our agreement. You were paid very well for your services, she says, and out agreement was that you were never to return to Collinwood. Mrs. Johnson comes in to report to Liz that she was making up Mr. Loomis' room, because she was told he was leaving, His departure was been delayed, says Liz sourly, giving Jason a dirty look. You can make up his room later in the day, Liz tells Sarah. He'll be gone by then? asks Mrs. J. I'm sure he will, says Liz, giving Jason a significant look--will you let me know when he's gone? She leaves the room. I didn't really think he was leaving, Sarah tells Jason, because he didn't act like somebody getting to go anywhere--I saw him prowling around the tool shed last night. Are you sure? he asks her. I know what I see when I see it, she says, he apparently needed tools for some reason. Yes of course, says Jason, but do you know what that reason might have been. With your Mr. Loomis, who care be sure? she asks--he's one of the strangest young men I've ever met--all the time you're talking to him, you know he's thinking something--but you have no idea exactly what it is. I know what you mean, says Jason. Of course, you're such an old friend of his, she says, I bet you know what he's thinking all the time. In this particular instance, says Jason, I'm not so sure.

In a way, I'll be sorry to see him go, says Sarah. I find that hard to believe, Jason says. Make no mistake about it, she says, I disapprove of him thoroughly, but sometimes, I like talking to him--that's right, he was interested in things, and sometimes I didn't approve of the things he was interested in, but I liked telling him things. What kind of things? asks Jason. Family things, she replies. The clock chimes. You and Willie discussed your family? asks Jason. My family, scoffs, Sarah, you wouldn't get two words out of me about my family--no, the Collins family. What would you talk about, the two of you? asks Jason. We didn't talk so much as he asked me questions, says Sarah--about family history. That's a whole new facet of my friends, says Jason, I find that terribly interesting, what did he ask you. One of his favorite subjects was this young man here in the portrait, says Sarah, pointing to the portrait of Barnabas. Yes I know, says Jason, Willie was very impressed with it. He asked me all kinds of questions about him, says Sarah, what his name was, who he was... It's a portrait of Barnabas Collins, isn't it? asks Jason. Yes, says Sarah, and your friend seemed real sorry when I told him he'd gone to England and died there. Barnabas died in England, and Willie was sorry, muses Jason. Maybe there's good left in him yet, suggests Sarah. I'm sure there is in all of us, says Jason--what else did he ask you, about the painting--about anything? His tone makes her say, "Mr. McGuire!" He apologizes for being abrupt, after all, it's hardly important one way or the other, I've been known Willie to have strange fancies before.
You know what I think fascinated him most about that portrait? she asks--it's a pity to say it, but it's the truth--the jewels, the ring, pun and other thing he's gone on there--I think Mr. Loomis would like to see that ring up close--the real one that is. (and Mr. Loomis did!) Yes, extraordinary, says Jason--did anything else fascinated Willie? He was fascinated by the legend, she says--not that I believe in legends. What legend? Asks Jason. That some of the Collins family had their jewels buried with them, she says--according to the legend, especially the Naomi Collins legends--she was given jewels by a pirate, and wore them to her grave--did you ever hear of a thing like that? No, agrees Jason, it doesn't seem very likely, does it. Nonsense, she says. Where was this woman buried? Asks Jason. That's what your friend asked me, she says. And what did you tell him? asks Jason, that he was buried with the rest of the family? No, that's the strange thing, she was buried in that little cemetery five miles north of here--Eagle Hill--why did you want to know? Curiosity, he says. It's too many people curious about such things, she says. Jason agrees. She goes upstairs. Jason looks at Barnabas' portrait intently, then leaves the house after putting on his coat and cap.

The outer door of the mausoleum bangs in the wind, squeaking wildly. The old caretaker approaches, asking who's there? He opens the freely swinging door and enters. Where are you? he asks, I know someone's here--evil, that's what's here, I can feel it in the air--evil, evil, I know you're here! He looks around nervously.

A dog barks as Jason touches a tombstone outside the mausoleum. Go away! calls the caretaker. Who's there? asks Jason. Only the dead, says the caretaker, now go away. He joins Jason outside. I'm looking for someone, says Jason, a young man, he might be here. The living must leave here, insists the caretaker, must never come here again--he should never have come here, I should never have let him stay--the last living man I'll ever allow here, mumbles the caretaker, no one may ever come here again. Look, old man, I don't know who you are, says Jason, but if there was a young man here, I want to know what he did, when he was here and where he went.
Sacrilege! Says the caretaker, resentfully, disturbing the dead!--criminal, that's what he is--he pretended to be someone he wasn't. If that were a crime, we'd all be in jail, says Jason--now, what did he want here--what did he do? He said he was a Collins, but I knew he wasn't, says the caretaker, he said he wanted to pay his respects--but he has no respect. Please tell me what he did, says Jason. Yes, come with me, says the caretaker--se what he's done--he points to the broken door, the lock is broken, he tells Jason--the young man you described broke in there. How do you know that? asks Jason, did you see him? If I'd seen him, he wouldn't have done it, says the caretaker--I thought he'd gone away, but he hadn't gone away. This place--does it belong to the Collins family? asks Jason. Yes, says the caretaker, Joshua and Naomi Collins--and one of the children--another child, a son, is buried in England they say. Is that all that's happened? asks Jason--just the lock broken? He should never have gone inside, says the caretaker. Why, what's in there? asks Jason. The dead, asleep and at peace, says the caretaker. Is that all? asks Jason. Evil, says the caretaker, evil hovers there, can't you feel it? No, can't say that I do, replies Jason--nothing inside was disturbed, was it? Yes! says the caretaker. You mean somebody disturbed the coffins? Asks Jason. Nothing that profane, says the caretaker, but the dead were disturbed, I can tell! Do you mind if I go in there? asks Jason. Please, you mustn't! begs the caretaker. Why not? asks Jason. I told you, evil is in there! the caretaker replies. Suppose I just take my chances, grins Jason, entering the tomb. No, no, no, for your own sake! cries the caretaker, but he follows Jason inside, telling him they shouldn't be in here--doesn't he feel it? These are the tombs of Joshua and Naomi Collins, says Jason, pointing to them. Yes, says the caretaker, pointing to the third coffin, there is the child, Sarah. I don't see what you're so excited about, says Jason, nothing seems to be disturbed. Something happened in here, someone was in here, insists the caretaker, we mustn't stay. Naomi Collins, wasn't she the woman who was supposed to be buried with all her jewelry? Asks Jason. That's the question HE asked me, says the caretaker, the man who was here last night. What did you tell him? asks Jason. I can't answer anymore questions, says the caretaker. I don't think you have to, says Jason, and everything seems perfectly OK in here, a little damp perhaps, but that can't be helped. Can't you feel anything in the air? Demands the caretaker. I can't even feel the air, says Jason--now tell me, where did this young man go after he left here? I don't know, I didn't see him, says the caretaker. Isn't it possible he wasn't here in the first place? Asks Jason. Oh, but someone was here, the lock was broken, it must have been him, insists the caretaker. If Willie had been here, there would have been more evidence than that, says Jason--he's not the kind to get this far and just stop. Stop what? asks the caretaker excitedly.   Nothing, says Jason hastily, the important thing is, I'm satisfied he wasn't here--thanks for the tour. You tell him he must never come here again, says the caretaker. I was just telling you, he wasn't the one who was here, says Jason, then stops, looks down and spots Willie's cigarette butt on Sarah's coffin. He picks it up and gazes at it. Yes, I must try to mend this lock, murmurs the caretaker. You do that, says Jason, glancing around, holding the ciggie butt in his hand. The two men exit the tomb. Tell your friend never to come here again, says the caretaker urgently. I just told you, he wasn't the one that was here, says Jason, walking away. He looks back, then down at the evidence in his hand.

Jason returns to Collinwood alone. You still haven't found him, accuses Liz. I will, he assures her, removing his cap--he's probably somewhere in town. Isn't that where you looked? asks Liz. No, says Jason, I looked for him in other places. Are you sure this isn't some scheme to keep him here? asks Liz. Please, Liz! says Jason, annoyed, I've had a very trying day, and I assure you for the last time that it is not! Mrs. Johnson comes out and asks if she should set a place for Mr. Loomis. How about it? Liz asks Jason, will he be gone? I told you I'd do my best, says Jason, turning away, hands in pockets. There's your answer, Liz tells Sarah. (huh?) And now, if you'll excuse me, says Jason. I always have, says Liz sarcastically. He gives her a warning look before going upstairs. Doesn't it seem strange that Mr. McGuire doesn't know where Mr. Loomis has disappeared? Asks Sarah in a hushed voice to Liz, and they've been all but inseparable--I mean I don't like to talk about people who are your good friends, but those two gentlemen, particularly Mr. Loomis, don't you find them a bit strange? I'm afraid I don't know what you're talking about, replies Liz. I don't like this Mr. Loomis disappearing like that, says Sarah, I think something's wrong and I don't like it. I don't think you need concern yourself about it, says Liz--I have some work to do before dinner, I'm going upstairs and don't want to be disturbed, but let me know if Mr. Loomis turns up. Sarah promises to let her know. She angrily picks up Jason's hat and coat from the table, complaining that no one hangs up a thing around here. She hangs up the coat and hat. Someone knocks at the door, and she answers it. A man in a hat and cape stands outside, his back to us. "I'd like to see Mrs. Stoddard, if you'd be so kind," he says in a rich, cultured voice. Mrs. Stoddard? asks Sarah, looking stunned. This is Collinwood, isn't it? asks the man. Yes, she says. And the mistress here is Mrs. Elizabeth Collins Stoddard, is she not? he continues. Yes, she says, still looking as if she's caught in bright headlights. "Then perhaps you would do me the courtesy to inform Mrs. Stoddard that her cousin is calling and wishes to pay his respects." Her cousin? asks Sarah, totally perplexed. "Yes--her cousin from England," the man says. From England? repeats Sarah, opening the door for him--oh, please, come in. I'd be delighted, thank you, he says, entering the house. She closes the doors. The man removes his hat, his back still to us. Sarah takes his hat and cane, and asks if he'd like to wait in the drawing room. Here would be fine, he assures her, thank you.
She cannot remove her eyes from his face. I'll let Mrs. Stoddard know you're here, she says, heading upstairs. The man turns and gazes at the portrait, then turns so we can see he looks exactly like the man in the portrait. "Oh, Madame," he says, "if you would, you can tell her that it's Barnabas Collins"--and he smiles.

NOTES: And thus a legend was born! I remember this all so vividly, and the way it made me feel the first time I saw it. Who was this mysterious man, I wondered, and what, if anything, did he have to do with what happened to Willie in the mausoleum? I loved his resonant, sophisticated-sounding voice, and the way Sarah stared at him before we actually got to see him was so suspenseful!

Most have already seen this episode several times before, but if there are any newbies, I'd love to hear what you think.

Jason's scene with the caretaker was funny. The caretaker has a one-track mind, and Jason was ready to believe Willie hadn't been there--until he found his cigarette butt. What does he think happened to Willie? Did he get a pile of jewels and leave behind the $500? Keep watching, the best--and weirdest--is yet to come!

Love, Robin

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Robservations 10/18/01 - #210/211 - The Courtly Cousin From England
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 08:45:55 AM »
Willie walks over to the plaques, shining the flashlight on each in turn. Joshua Collins, born, 1755, died 1830. Naomi Collins, born 1761, died 1821.

Robin, I had not read this before. I was never able to see the dates on the name stones completly. But are you sure these dates are correct ?? How orld is Barnabas?? I know this is the age old question. This tells us that Barn wasn't going to around a long time. The dates wouldn't have worked. But I did love what you wrote.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Robservations 10/18/01 - #210/211 - The Courtly Cousin From England
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 08:05:15 PM »
Willie walks over to the plaques, shining the flashlight on each in turn. Joshua Collins, born, 1755, died 1830. Naomi Collins, born 1761, died 1821.
Robin, I had not read this before. I was never able to see the dates on the name stones completly. But are you sure these dates are correct ?? How orld is Barnabas?? I know this is the age old question. This tells us that Barn wasn't going to around a long time. The dates wouldn't have worked. But I did love what you wrote.

loril54,

Yes, Joshua's DOD seems to be the only date that's even the slightest bit plausible.

The writers originally placed Barnabas in the early 1800s.  In an earlier ep, Josette's gravestone read 1800-1822.

BTW, if you click Quote, the text will appear with the information needed to make it appear in quote boxes in your post.  Just remove the text you are not responding to but leave all the coded information (between brackets at the beginning and end).  The Help section that's accessed via the horizontal menu at the top of every page has posting info, and please don't hesitate to ask if you need further help.  :)