Author Topic: 1795 flashback aftermath questions for knowledgable fans.  (Read 1580 times)

Offline A.C.

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
1795 flashback aftermath questions for knowledgable fans.
« on: March 20, 2007, 05:06:38 PM »
It's been a while since I've watched my VHS tapes so I am wondering from any fans who have
recently viewed the show how these threats were resolved-

Before the 1795 flashback David knows Barnabas's secret and is terrified. Does he still know
afterwards and how does he relate to Barnabas.

Barnabas was cured by Lang shortly after the 1795 episodes-Does Carolyn forget about knowing Barnabas's secret?

Why does Elizabeth allow Julia to stay at Collinwood after revealing that she was a Doctor all along?

Is there ever any mention of Sarah again as the whole seance was to contact her?

At what point do Barnabas and Julie actually become friends? Pre 1795 he was out to get her and she was hiding a diary with Tony in case of her death.

Speaking of  Tony-did he ever have a substantial storyline in present time again like he did in the episodes just before the flashback?

Thanks in advance to any cousins who know these answers!

(edited by mod: + spoiler icon)

David

Re: 1795 flashback aftermath questions for knowledgable fans.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 05:58:30 PM »
1795!
my favorite story!

After 1795, David seems to have no memory
of Barnabas being a vampire.
No explanaton offered.

After he is cured, Carolyn forgets his vampirism because she is no longer under his spell.

Sarah is mentioned once or twice but is generally forgotten by the writers.

Why does Julia live at Collinwood for the next 4 years?
good question!
maybe she pays rent?

David

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 07:30:35 PM »
[spoiler]David never really found out exactly what Barnabas was, only that he wasn't human. But yes I did notice that after the 1795 saga, the boy seemed to have lost his enormous fear of his cousin a bit too convienently.

I always assumed Carolyn forgot all about Barnabas being a vamp one he was cured, Vicki too.

Why did Elizabeth allow Julia to stay on after Julia came clean about being a doctor, not a historian....hmm, free sedatives and free health care maybe? LOL

Yeah Sarah was only mentioned a few times after 1795, we never see her again after her death.

The thing about Barnabas and Julia.....since he was no longer a vampire, well not only did he lose his bloodlust, I guess he lost his urge to throttle her as well. Not to mention the fact he was soon preoccupied with a bigger threat to his saftey than Julia's diary....the return of Angelique (alias Cassandra in a hideous black wig).

The only major story Tony had post 1795 was being put under Cassandra's spell and acting as her slave. Then Adam attacked him after seeing him kiss Carolyn, but alas after that we never see Tony again, unfortunately.[/spoiler]

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 10:07:41 PM »
Yea, what they said.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 01:00:04 AM »
Here are my thoughts.

[spoiler]Maybe everyone thinks that Barnabas and Julia are having an affair, she spends so much time there at the Old House. Julia is also handy to have around when someone needs to take a vacation at Wyndcliff![/spoiler]

After 1795 I don't think it could have been more tense, it was just too much already!
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 01:51:03 AM »
if i recall the tone of the show changed dramatically in the aftermath of the 1795 story.thus most of the plots that were percolating before it were hastily wrapped-up or abandoned altogether.

the way the show is structured no one(besides julia)can know that barnabas is a vampire for long.it puts either them or him in too much jeopardy.those who possess this knowledge must conveniently "forget" it for the action to move foreward.

however the writers play fast-and-loose with how each character comes to forget this fact.after dr.lang "cures" barnabas of his vampirism carolyn and vicki both completely forget it.nothing.it is literally erased from their memory banks.maggie's memory of it remains "supressed" but it still exists dormant.when she's trapped in the mausoleum during the adam storyline she remembers it.of course she then again "forgets" it(i forget how this particular bit of forgetfullness occurs).willie on the other hand seems to know who's who and what's what.

david never completely knows barnabas' secret(he suspects)but after 1795 he doesn't have much interaction with barnabas for several months.by then the decision to cast barnabas as the reluctant "anti-hero" was made so having him plot to kill a child was not possible anymore.the next time the two are on the same page storywise is during the quentin hauntings and there barnabas takes an almost paternal interest in david's well being.go figure. ::)
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 04:14:32 AM »
Barnabas began humanizing through his interactions with his extended family, and with his self-acknowledgement that he didn't want to be what he had become through Angelique's curse.  Julia gave him this glimmer of hope that he didn't have to be a killer.  I think Barnabas (through Frid's brilliant portrayal) discovered that his conscience had not been entirely eradicated by his vampirism.

I always had a sense of unease with regard to Vicki and Carolyn, since I felt that their knowledge of Barnabas remained buried deep in their subconscious minds.

-Vlad

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 04:30:57 AM »
That's a good point about Vicki and Carolyn.

I wonder if maybe Vicki deep down was in denial about the truth about Barnabas. [spoiler]She was led to believe that the Barnabas Collins of 1795 went to England and sprung a whole line of descendents, including his "namesake." However when she travels back to that very year, much to her shock she learns that this wasn't the case after Josette accused her of killing him.

Since the Barnabas of 1795 ended up dying instead of going to England as the Collins Family History had foretell, then how could the Barnabas of 1967 even exist?

Did Vicki ever stop to think about that? Did she even want to, considering the Barnabas she knew in her own time was always a gracious gentleman to her?[/spoiler]

Perhaps this was one instance where Vicki actually chose NOT to understand.

David

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 07:54:35 AM »
I think it was explained, or implied, that Vicki & Carolyn actually forgot about Barnabas' vampirism becaue he lost his hold on them after "the cure"

The same thing happened to Judith in 1897 after Dirk was "written out"

David

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 08:40:19 AM »
Of course Charity in 1897 forgot afterward, and even though she was Petofi-ized, it seemed as if "healing" from vampire victimhood was supposed to involve forgetting.

As for Barnabas's reformation, I was stunned to discover that 1968 didn't involve a clear process whereby BC converted to the world of supposedly decent people such as we.    I'm still owed a Barney redemption.   There was that moment in Lang's lab where he says "no more" and that's not nothing, but holy crap, one of the biggest DS moments seems to have never really happened!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 02:50:29 PM »
To answer the question about Sarah, prior to Barnabas going back to 1795,[spoiler]there was a scene where Barn was (once again) throttling Julia at the Old House. Sarah appears and tells him he's a "bad man." She recites a poem to Barnabas that he had taught her in her childhood about how she must be good because the wicked are punished. She then tells Barnabas that his punishment is that he will never see her again.[/spoiler]

As for Vicki's forgetfulness after the seance and her adventure in the past, [spoiler]she has a hazy memory at best when she returns, with much of it dissipating daily. It's when she finds that portrait of Angelique in the village that she begins to remember bits of what happened.[/spoiler]

Also, at some point after 1795, I recall a scene where Carolyn and Barnabas have a conversation and Carolyn tells Barnabas [spoiler]she has to get on with her own life. He agrees, so I'm assuming they both agree to put the past behind them concerning his vampirism.[/spoiler] Still, thanks to the way it was written, it's not clear, really, that Carolyn was talking about his having held her under his spell.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 03:05:21 PM »
Regarding Maggie's memories of 1967:

[spoiler]Warlock Nicholas Blair erased them after Maggie escaped from the Mauseoleum in the Autumn of '68.  Nicholas could not allow Maggie to interfere with his plans for the creation of Eve.  He also was in love with Maggie and was obviously unwilling to harm her in any way.  We don't actually see him erase her memories nor do we get to be privy to his motives for doing so--the viewer is simply left to work this out.[/spoiler]

As for David, this is one of the most extreme instances of sheer sloppiness on the part of the writers.

[spoiler]Given the nature of Dark Shadows, they could and should have come up with SOME explanation for David's clear knowledge that Barnabas is one of the Undead by the end of the 1967 story.  But there is no explanation whatsoever.  The child simply no longer knows what he knew then.  Perhaps there was a scene on the cutting room floor where the Evil Dark Shadows Anti-continuity Phantasm (cameo role for Dan Curtis) appeared in David's bedroom and fixed him with a vicious, bloodshot glare and grated: "Lissen UP, Kid--you'll forget everything ya evah KNEW about Bahnabas CAWLLINS and you'll forget it NOW.  As of LAST MONTH.  Clear?" Scowl.

Sorry, Just Kidding! *wink*[/spoiler]

cheers, G.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 04:54:01 PM »
Ha!  I can easily envision that Dan Curtis cameo Gothick!

David clearly knew what Barnabas was, despite the fact that he never used the word "vampire."  Story-wise, I have to assume that either Barnabas used his hypnotic abilities to wipe David's memory, or Julia used her medallion to do the same.  While David no longer seems to fear Barnabas post-1795, he does know that Barnabas is "different" as he mentions later in the series.

TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 04:52:57 AM »
I just pictured Julia, as she's about to go out the front door, impatiently taking out her medallion and waving it back and forth one time in front of everybody in the Drawing Room: "Oh, by the way, everyone, forget, forget, forget.....only the inconvenient stuff, you can still remember your names and phone numbers and everything... There, that's the way to get a few dozen plot headaches out of the way fast!"
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor