Author Topic: 2 New DS-related DVDs coming  (Read 1852 times)

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
2 New DS-related DVDs coming
« on: March 20, 2007, 01:34:57 AM »
 :D  Two 1972 TV-movies are coming soon to DVD, and both have DS actors in them.  Jon Frid was in "The Devil's Daughter," and Tom Happer was in "Crawlspace."  Both due May 1 from Wild Eye home entertainment (I can't find anything about this company on the web--anybody know who/what/where it is?)

Here's a link to one of my sources:

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/comingsoon1.htm

Brian

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Re: 2 New DS-related DVDs coming
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 01:40:03 AM »
Oh awesome! Thanks for the heads up! I was looking all over recently for a copy of the Devil's Daughter, glad to see it's coming out.

Now if only somone would release House of Seven Gables on DVD!

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 03:10:29 AM »
I never saw The Devil's Daughter or Crawlspace. Are they any good?

I wish they would release the two DS movies on DVD already!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 04:40:49 PM »
The Devil's Daughter is a gem.  Shelley Winters chews the scenery as Lilith, sinister and glamorous leader of a Satanic coven.  Jonathan Frid is wonderful in the small but poignant non-speaking role of the Winters character's chauffeur and butler.  And Abe Vigoda has a small role in it as well.  Horror vet Joseph Cotten doesn't get to do much but is fun to watch as a Judge.

Belinda Montgomery, who stars in the title role, practically defines the somewhat stodgy aesthetic of ABC TV movies of the week.

I'm afraid I don't remember Crawlspace at all--although I do recall the ads for it.

G.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 05:08:52 PM »
Sadly these are not licensed or authorized releases. This new company words their website and their press releases to make it seem as if these are fully legit releases, but they're releasing them in the assumption that they are in the public domain, as many 70's TV movies are presumed to be. The biggest clue is the lame new jacket art created which doesn't boast any of the talent within, the director/producers that made them, or the original tv channel that aired them. I mean, DEVIL'S DAUGHTER-- you'd want to have Jonathan Frid and Shelley Winters's names and images on the covers wouldn't you?

What that means is, instead of having access to original studio tapes and film elements, their DVDs will be made by whatever ratty 16mm prints they can find on the collector's market or at car boot sales.

Sci-Fi showed DEVIL'S DAUGHTER several years back in a gorgeous copy- clearly a fairly recent transfer that would look terrific on DVD. You can bet that anyone with an off-air tape of that will have a version better than the upcoming DVD.

Early reviews of their first 2 titles have been dismal. A shame as the Frid filmmography is limited and it would be nice to have this on a nice DVD.

It'd be great to have a company legitimately release a bunch of made for TV genre pix and a really do them up nice, with extras, new or high quality transfers etc. Look at Anchor Bay's NORLISS TAPES-- stellar work can be done in this arena, and it's a shame it isn't. DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK, anyone?  :D

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 07:30:03 PM »
Sorry to hear that these are not legit releases, but thanks Darren for letting us know.

A friend of mine turned my old VHS of The Devil's Daughter into a DVD-R, but I held onto the tape, and I'm glad I did so, now that I know about the very limited shelf-life of DVD-R's.

I agree one thousand percent about the need for decent releases of those wonderful old TV movies of the Seventies.  The one I want is The Cat Creature, with fabulous Gale Sondergaard (directed by genre afficionado Curtis Harrington--now something of a legend in his own right).  I bought a bootleg of it on eBay and the qualtiy is beyond shitty.  Watching even that did bring back happy memories, I must confess.

G.

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 07:54:41 PM »
The Devil's Daughter is a gem. Shelley Winters chews the scenery as Lilith, sinister and glamorous leader of a Satanic coven. Jonathan Frid is wonderful in the small but poignant non-speaking role of the Winters character's chauffeur and butler.

Jonathan Frid not having a speaking part? That's just criminal!  :o :o He has the best speaking voice ever!  8)
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 08:39:39 PM »
I know about the very limited shelf-life of DVD-R's.

Some people claim that DVD-Rs will last only 2 years, but that isn't necessarily true - just as the same claim isn't true for CD-Rs. I have CD-Rs that I made over 8 years ago that work as well as they did the day I made them - and I've also had some early ones that were lucky to last a few months. The truth is that it often all depends on how they were burned, the drive they were burned with, the software used, the computer, and the discs themselves. In the long run, like almost everything else, I've found that it's best not to go with the cheapest but to buy a name brand whose products have stood the test of time.  :)

As for DVD-Rs, the oldest one I've made is just about 3 years old now, and it still works perfectly fine. Only time will tell how long it might actually last. But unfortunately I've misplaced my I Ching wands, so I can't travel into the future to check out just how long that might be.  [wink2]  Check back with me in a few more years.  :D

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 01:41:55 AM »
Sadly these are not licensed or authorized releases...Sci-Fi showed DEVIL'S DAUGHTER several years back in a gorgeous copy- clearly a fairly recent transfer that would look terrific on DVD. You can bet that anyone with an off-air tape of that will have a version better than the upcoming DVD.

Darren, thanks for that information.  It will probably influence my decision to purchase this DVD, now.  But....I DO have my VHS home recorded tape of the Sci-Fi channel's showing of Devil's Daughter, which I transferred to my own DVD a few years back.  And you're right, the Sci-Fi showing isn't too bad.

As always, thanks for sharing your inside expertise.

Brian

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 05:19:33 PM »
You're welcome, Brian.

I just wish I had better news to report--I hate raining on anyone's parade!

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 03:04:51 AM »
i never heard of dvd-r only lasting 2 years and i doubt its true. they said the same thing about vhs tapes back in the 80s. i still have my 1st vhs tape i ever recorded back in 1980! i play it once in a while just to see if its held up and it plays perfectly everytime. also have an off the air recording of devils daughter from the 80s and its good quality. i missed the sci-fi broadcast. my vhs copy of devils daughter also still plays perfectly.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 03:43:11 AM »
i never heard of dvd-r only lasting 2 years and i doubt its true.

You'd be surprised how much info like that is all over the Internet. Or maybe you wouldn't be. Actually, considering how quickly misinformation, or at least somewhat less than completely accurate info, is spread over the Internet, I suppose no one should be.  :-

they said the same thing about vhs tapes back in the 80s.

Exactly! Though at least with continually repeated use a VHS tape will eventually wear out. CDs and DVDs have a vastly superior shelf life.  ;)