Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0254  (Read 1339 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0254
« on: March 15, 2007, 05:21:33 AM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0254
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 02:30:38 PM »
My understanding is that Dennis Patrick left the show of his own accord, and I wish he had stuck around longer.  He makes such an interesting complication in the Barnabas story!  There could have been some very amusing developments there.  Meanwhile, I always wonder: how inexhaustible was Barnabas's supply of jewels?  The stash that we see a few weeks later doesn't seem as though it will support Barnabas for all eternity - which is how long he should be planning for.

If I were a Collinsport resident in 1967, I'd avoid the Blue Whale like the plague.  I wouldn't want to worry about Bob the Bartender dropping cigar ash into my drink.

Naturally I thought of Gothick today as I looked at Buzz.  What exactly is the attraction - or don't I want to know?  Michael Hadge looks like a nice enough guy, and in good shape for his mid-30s - but that's as far as it goes.  I'd take Jason or Willie over him any day of the week.  By the way, did Jason give that index finger of his special daily workouts to build up its stamina?

What did Mr. Garner tell Jason about the divorce?  If I were Elizabeth, I'd be on the phone immediately to find out, and probably to fire Garner.  It's conceivable that Jason just asked hypothetical questions, but if Garner's not a smart enough lawyer to tell him, "I'm not answering any hypothetical questions until you fork over a large amount of un-hypothetical cash," then Liz needs to find herself a new lawyer.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 02:43:43 PM »
Well the Jason blackmailing Elizabeth storyline had to come to an end sometime. Don't get me wrong, I love Dennis Patrick, but what more could they have done with Jason once [spoiler]his whole hoax regarding Paul's "death" came out into the open? There was no way the sheriff was gonna allow Jason to stay in town after what he pulled....certainly the Collins wouldn't have stood for him sticking around.[/spoiler]

Man oh man, Jason sure is one greedy bastard, he's not satisfied with marrying Elizabeth and getting his hands on the Collins fortune, he wants to horn in on everybody's action. This ultimately will be his undoing in the end.

Boy the looks on Jason and Elizabeth's faces were priceless when Carolyn announced she intends to wed Buzz on the same day they do. I do love those looks of surprise and horror when a major announcement is announced.

I am happy to report the show is back on track. Loved every minute of it.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 08:03:50 PM »
How can you hate Jason any more. Do we see Richard Gardner again. She should bring him up to the Bar. Jason must have spies every where he just seems to know everything that is going on.

Buzz is really layed back, he is just going along for the ride. Pun intended. I wonder how Carolyn makes things up with Buzz.

[spoiler]After she doesn't marry him and Liz doesn't marry Jason. Not long after that do we not see both Grooms.[/spoiler]

Greed can bring on your end.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 08:17:45 PM »
We never see Richard Garner again although he is referred to in a couple of episodes where [spoiler]later on Elizabeth is fuming he wasn't returning her phone calls during her buried alive phase, and a bit later on Carolyn was talking to him on the telephone on Chris' behalf when Chris was taken to the police station over suspicion of her friend Donna's death.[/spoiler]

I'm more interested in what happened to Frank Garner. He's NEVER seen or even referred to again. The blossoming relationship between him and Vicki had such promise, then the writers dropped the whole thing. Sheesh, this was almost as bad as them dropping Vicki's search for her identity storyline. Not quite as bad, but almost.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 08:38:33 PM »
Hi IluvBarnabas,

I always wondered as well about why Frank was dropped so abruptly from the show.  Last year, I think, somebody reported that Conrad Fowkes (either at a Festival or on a DVD commentary, I can't recall which), who played Frank, asked DC in a personal meeting for a pay raise.  The result was being written out of the show.  Robert Rodan says the same about his character on one of the tapes, somewhere, and the same with Lisa Richards in a short interview published years ago in TWODS.

I recall KLS writing in the original edition of "My Scrapbook Memories of DS" that "in general, we were not over-paid on DS."

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 08:44:11 PM »
Oh and Lydia--

let's just say it takes a very special kind of man to appreciate the unique blandishments of Buzz.  LOL!

I think Buzz's "hip" lingo was dated for 1966.  The character seems to have been based on pop culture perceptions of the Beat people and "beatniks," such as characters on a now-forgotten but once wildly popular show, The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis.  (Shit, when is THAT coming out on DVD??)

I still suspect that Buzz's hair got recycled when Cassandra appeared on the scene--it's so thick, lacquered, and helmet-like!

G.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 09:55:44 PM »
I still suspect that Buzz's hair got recycled when Cassandra appeared on the scene--it's so thick, lacquered, and helmet-like!

LOL falling off chair at internet cafe.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 04:06:22 AM »
Well the Jason blackmailing Elizabeth storyline had to come to an end sometime.
Not necessarily.  Elizabeth could have buckled under for years to come, through marriage and beyond.  I envision Jason
a) bringing an Amanda Harris type to Collinwood under Liz's very nose,
b) coming across the truth about a certain long-ago incident and blackmailing Roger with it,
c) becoming very suspicious of Miss Hoffman and doing his Irish best to back her into a corner,
d) getting bitten by Barnabas and thoroughly enjoying it,
e) approaching Quentin's ghost about a joint venture,
and so on, all the way through the rest of the alphabet.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 12:07:49 PM »
I am disappointed that Frank Garner was written out of the show. [idontknow] The budding relationship between him and Vicki held such great promise.  [hug]

All Buzz wanted was a good time.  [hippy2] I was surprised that he didn't protest Carolyn's "marriage proposal" - he just went along with it.  Maybe they talked about it before it happened?  It's fun to see the rebellious side of Carolyn.  She really likes to stick it to her mother.   [smash]

----- Sally -----

[coolg]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 02:38:07 PM »
You got some interesting ideas, Lydia. But if truth be told I was glad to see Jason go. I am so happy [spoiler]Elizabeth FINALLY came out with the truth (or what she believed to be the truth),[/spoiler] it really got frusterating to see her give in to him all the time....I don't think I would have liked seeing her do it over and over again for years.