Author Topic: Art Wallace's The House ...  (Read 1445 times)

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Art Wallace's The House ...
« on: March 13, 2007, 06:19:29 PM »
Does anyone know where one my lay one's hands on a copy of the script?  I'm actually surprised Pomegranate Press hasn't published it yet, since next to Shadows on the Wall, would seem to me to be the most important piece of DS "origin material" out there.
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Art Wallace's The House ...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 07:10:18 PM »
Ben Stein voice: ...Anyone? ....Anyone? ....

>:D

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 03:55:54 AM »
I would give anything to read it!  Perhaps we could send a polite note to Pomegranate Press expressing interest in seeing the script published.

I understand that the script was performed at one of the recent festivals by the DS actors in attendance.  ProfStokes gave a good, detailed description of the event, summarizing the script, on the forum.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 06:15:57 PM »
I would give anything to read it!  Perhaps we could send a polite note to Pomegranate Press expressing interest in seeing the script published.

I understand that the script was performed at one of the recent festivals by the DS actors in attendance.  ProfStokes gave a good, detailed description of the event, summarizing the script, on the forum.
I tried doing a search for other posting but could not find anything.  If you know where it is I would eager to read it.
:)

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 06:55:07 PM »
In fact, I would love to know if the original production of The House survives as anything more than a script.  Was it kinescoped?  And if so, are there any known copies to have survived?

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 07:28:39 PM »
This is what I remember:

a fan has a videotape of it in her/his collection and was going to bring it to a Festival so it could be screened.  But then the fan failed to show up.  Nobody else has ever been able to track down a copy of it.  It may be one of the things that no longer exists in the studio vaults.

I remember reading a detailed description, I would guess by Amanda as Vlad mentioned.  What I recall from that is that the names were switched so that Carolyn was the Mom (who made her living offering piano lessons--perhaps this is why we see Liz playing the piano a couple of times in the very first week or two of shows), and Elizabeth was the daughter.  I think they had the theme of the mother being a recluse and not having left the house in many years.

Did you try searching Art Wallace on the Forum?  That might lead you to it.  The House would probably turn up too many hits to be of use.

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 07:50:58 PM »
I found a post by Miss Winthrop from her review of the 2004 Festival that mentioned DS cast members performing "The House."  She mentioned that John Karlen played the prototype of the Jason Maguire character with an impeccable Irish brogue.  Sounds very entertaining!

Unfortunately I tried to go back to the search and got some weird warning about entering the Forum illegally... the search results then disappeared.  I use IE and I think that pretty soon I am going to have to abandon ship altogether because the boards just don't work very well with Microsoft products...

cheers, G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 07:56:07 PM »
I use IE and I think that pretty soon I am going to have to abandon ship altogether because the boards just don't work very well with Microsoft products...

That would be a very astute move on your (and everyone's) part.  ;)  We recommend Firefox, but almost ANY other browser (except for Opera - but for very different reasons) would be better than IE!  [Blow_Up_IE]

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 09:37:53 PM »
My summary of the performance is here, if you scroll down past all the Q&A commentary:

ProfStokes