Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0248  (Read 1388 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0248
« on: March 07, 2007, 06:41:55 AM »

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0248
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 02:15:22 PM »
It's sad to watch Maggie vasalating between wanting to be Josette  and trying to regain her own sense of self.

It's nice to see willie trying to comfort Maggie. He's trying to help her the only way he can.

Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 03:34:40 PM »
Again, Barnabas at his cruellest! Putting poor Maggie in that coffin.......just horrible! [madan]

I did like Willie treating her with kindness. She really could use all the friends she can get right now.

It's so frusterating to see Sam giving up on the idea he actually saw Maggie. And I think he's about halfway into giving up the idea of her ever being found! Poor Sam....to have a moment of hope and to have it taken away......it's so sad. [bawl]

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 06:15:21 PM »
Awesome  Show.  Barn was so mean, his craziness I so evident. He wants to go back to when his life was easier and he was waiting for Josette and he was going to marry. He took it as a personal betrayal that Maggie wanted to be herself.  Barn needed to some TLC that he was going to get later.

Loved to see how they did the casket closing. KLS, JK, and JF did a great job. As a comment now they locked the door so that Maggie couldn't get out.  At least they are starting to learn.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 07:27:28 PM »
This is the last time we see Mitch Ryan.   [sad10]

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 07:46:18 PM »
This is the episode in which I believe Willie began to have feelings for Maggie. When he had to bring her back from the mausoleum and tried to comfort her while at the same time telling her that she had to cooperate with Barnabas, you could see the tenderness in his eyes. His case was hopeless of course, but that doesn't mean his heart did not go out to her. I feel so sorry for them, Willie because of his hopeless love, Maggie because of being held in captivity and being expected to give up her identity, and Sam because he has to be fearing more and more that he'll never see Maggie again.

Alondra
:'(

Exceeded 10 posts/24 hours, and not for the first time, since responding to/quoting this post:

I'm going to trust that you'll only make 10 posts per 24 hours until I get to the bottom of whatever the hell is going on.  ;)

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 12:18:25 AM »
Anyone notice this episode had a still in the original trading card series?

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 04:17:55 AM »
Barnabas was his mean self today.  I felt sorry for Maggie, having to stay in the coffin all night! [bawl] Barnabas is one mentally ill vampire.  He misses his old life so much, that he's trying to create it again with Maggie as Josette.  KLS did an excellent job today.  I am so happy she remembered she was Maggie! [cheesyg] 

I also felt sorry for poor Sam, Maggie's loving Pop.  He wrongly questioned his sanity when he figured he must have imagined seeing Maggie. [8311] I would love to have had a father like that.  They had a great relationship most of the time.

I was heartened to see Willie being so nice to Maggie.  [love9] He was doing all that he could.  I am angry that Barnabas was so controlling of both of their lives at this time.  [madg]

By the way, I prefer the "second version' of the tune from Josette's music box. [winkg] What do you all think?

I'm sorry to see Mitch Ryan go.  Indeed, he will never be seen again on DS. [sadg]

----- Sally -----

[coolg]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 05:12:14 AM »
Oh yeah, I totally forgot this was Mitch's last episode. He will be missed.

When Anthony George takes over, the character of Burke turns into an altogether different character (whether this is a good thing or a bad thing has been the subject of much debate. Personally I will always be more fond of MR'S interpertation of Burke).

On the other hand, I can't see Mitch as Jeremiah. Anthony did really well in that role, and I think this has much to do with the fact it was a role he originated himself instead of taking over from another actor.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 07:45:48 AM »
This time around, when Barnabas terrorized Maggie, I wasn't so sure that it was a mistake.  I started thinking about brainwashing techniques, about which I know practically nothing, but it does seem to me that professional brainwashers use the stick as well as the carrot.

I'm not sure why the brainwashing isn't working.  My inital thought was: "Why doesn't Barnabas just bite her again to re-assert his hold?"  But Sam mentioned that she was paler than he'd ever seen her before.  (Was she?  I wouldn't know.  Pallor is one of those things that I never notice.)  So maybe Barnabas knows that if he takes any more blood at this point, Maggie will become a vampire before she has completed the training program.  But if he's taken so much blood, why is she becoming more resistant to the brainwashing?  He should have been able to get her mind off the pipe pretty easily, and surely the terror of the coffin would have given her something else to think about.  It is at times like these that I particularly regret not having seen the pre-Barnabas episodes: I have very little feel for Maggie's pre-Barnabas personality.

Maybe Barnabas should have chosen Sam to be his Josette.  Sam is, after all, being fairly amenable to brainwashing.  Nope, he didn't see Maggie after all.  It was just an alcohol-induced delusion.  Perhaps he never had a daughter at all.  And the beard can be shaved off.

As for EmeraldRose's question...I like the second Josette tune better than the first because it has an end instead of going round and round - but maybe the unending tune is better for brainwashing purposes - a peaceful song but no real peace.  It was Robert Cobert who wrote the second one, right?  He did an excellent job of mimicking the first one without actually copying it, because when I'm listening to the first tune I can't remember the second, and when I'm listening to the second tune I can't remember the first.  I've been watching the Lady Hampshire 1897 episodes recently and I still  can't remember the one tune when I'm listening to the other.

And at Collinwood on this night, Elizabeth has surely been pacing the floor.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 08:06:57 AM »
First and Second Josette Theme??? What episodes when start.??
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate