Author Topic: Relating to DS  (Read 1245 times)

Offline dvlvan26

• Full Poster
  • DS is the Greatest Show on Earth!
    • View Profile
Relating to DS
« on: February 28, 2007, 04:19:15 PM »
Hello Cousins! :)

How does DS relate and/or influence your life?

dvlvan26, Class of 2007

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Re: Relating to DS
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 08:54:28 PM »
Well I think the most obvious answers to that question are:

1. DS has an impact on my life because I spend a lot of time here, at this forum, talking about it and

2. It provides a late night, daytime, whenever-you-want escape from the real world to the world where Barnabas and Julia are fighting all the evilies of Collinwood.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 02:35:30 AM »
i was thinking about this recently.

when i'm not actually watching it or talking about it here i "relate" to the show in that if i'm feeling bored or depressed or stressed out thinking about it cheers me up a bit.it's relaxing.

i don't share the show with anybody in my personal life.it's sort of my private thing that i can lose myself in for a couple of hours and it takes my mind of the stresses of the "real world".there is nothing else that gives me quite the same sense of escape.

searching for d.s. related materials at thrift shops,flea markets,used book stores and the like is also something of a hobby.i've actually found alot of stuff over the years.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 05:59:32 AM »
Quote from: dvlvan26
How does DS relate and/or influence your life?

Because of my enjoyment with the characters and storylines, I finally tried my hand at writing some fanfic.
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 04:12:37 PM »
I love DS with a passion, probably even more than when I was a kid. Yesterday I was watching an 1897 episode and looking at the original airdate, June 1969, and wondering what I was doing when it aired during the original run. Since it was late June, school was out and I was probably outside playing with my friends and then suddenly it's almost 4:00 and I had to run into the house to watch DS. It's possible that my brother hollered outside the door that DS was on and of course I came running. I was 10 years old. If someone had told me that that at the age of 47 I'd still be loving the show and able to watch it anytime I wanted because I'd own it (on DVD) I'd have been amazed.

There are many situations in life that I will relate to DS. Something will happen and I'll think that's just like when such and such happened on DS. Sometimes I'll tell my husband about it, he's not a fan but he knows a lot of names from DS now.

Alondra

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 05:55:41 PM »
DS also relates to my life because whenever someone hears me talk about it they ask what channel it's on. LOL. They think it's some kind of show that's airing right now. Then when I tell them that it aired during the 60s and that I own it on DVD they think I'm some kind of mad person! lol Ah, we should feel sorry for the people who don't understand the simplicity that is Dark Shadows.

And the only people that DO know what I'm talking about when I make an oblique reference to DS are those who are close friends of mine who I often bounce writing ideas off of for scripts.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 12:28:00 AM »
DS has had a huge impact on my life.  I hooked several friends up to it...and they share the love as well.  I am going on 16 years of loving it.  I am saddened that the 2004 pilot didn't work.  I really would love to see a new one go...and last at least five seasons.
Maybe it will......Hopefully....
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 06:40:05 AM »
Well for one thing it brought me closer to my Mom and my Aunt on my Father's side. It opened me up to 60s pop culture, something that has greatly influenced my sense of style and music, and has introduced me to many wonderful people I wouldn't have met otherwise. Rock on.