Author Topic: #0206/0207: Robservations 10/16/01: A Fist Fight at the Blue Whale  (Read 1469 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Episode 206 - Two men have come to Collinwood, two strangers. That they are there is strange, and the men themselves have a strangeness, each in his own terrifying way--but what is strangest of all is their affect on one woman in particular.

Liz' room - Liz sits, buffing her nails distractedly. What do you think? asks Vicki--will it be all right? Liz apologizes. I guess I wasn't listening, she admits, will what be all right? Will it be all right if I stop using the text and let David pick his own reading? asks Vicki--he's gone way beyond the text anyway, and this way he can pick his own rate of acceleration in reading. Oh, yes of course, says Liz--you know whatever you decide is fine with me. She sips from her cup. I just wanted to let you know what I was doing, says Vicki. That's very thoughtful of you, says Liz. Vicki bites her lip, thinking, and starts to leave, but turns and says, "Mrs. Stoddard--is there anything I can do?" About what? asks Liz. I'm not quite sure, says Vicki, but you seem to be quite worried. Nonsense, I'm fine, insists Liz--you're the one who seems worried. No, says Vicki, I'm not worried--I'm frightened.

You have no reason to be frightened, says Liz. I can't help it, says Vicki.
Maybe Jason's friend did get a bit out of hand, admits Liz. Carolyn had to use a gun to keep him away, Vicki reminds her. Isn't it possible Carolyn let herself get a little more upset than was necessary? asks Liz, standing. No, she's much too cool for that, says Vicki--if anyone could handle a situation like that, it's Carolyn. All right, says Liz, agitated, I know that, too, but I talked to Mr. McGuire and nothing of this kind will ever happen again. She puts on her earrings. When I said I was frightened, says Vicki, I didn't just mean I was frightened of Willie or Mr. McGuire. Then what are you frightened of? asks Liz. What frightens me most of all is you, says Vicki--I feel you're in some kind of trouble. Liz denies it. What are these men doing here? demands Vicki. Mr. McGuire was a friend of mine many years ago, says Liz--I've told you this, as a favor, I'm letting Willie stay here--how many times do I have to explain? I just can't believe that you have friends like this, says Vicki. That's enough, says Liz testily--this is my house, and if I choose to have guests, that's nobody's business but mine. Of course, says Vicki, and I'm sorry. I wish all of you would stop asking these unnecessary questions, says Liz. I'll try not to ask them again, says Vicki. Apparently, says Liz, it's high time I did start having guests at Collinwood--the moment there's the slightest interruption in routine, you, Carolyn and Roger don't know how to react!--it's a good thing to have different people at Collinwood--she sits down and apologizes for not being herself--forgive me. Are you sure there isn't anything I can do for you? asks Vicki. Positive, says Liz, I'm all right--I shouldn't have talked to you that way. That's all right, says Vicki. Try to understand, begs Liz, there's nothing to be frightened of, or worried about--please, Vicki. I'll try, says Vicki--is there anything else. No, says Liz--thank you for telling me about David. Troubled still, Vicki leaves the room. Liz looks very sad.

We see the medal in Barnabas' portrait, then the new Willie, as portrayed by John Karlen. I saw a man who looked just like him the other day in New York, Willie tells Mrs. Johnson, who's cleaning the banister--I mean the way he dressed, with the big tie and long hair. It takes all kinds, unfortunately, says Sarah. Of course, he wasn't nearly as elegant, says Willie, he was a beatnik. (haven't heard that word in years!) Oh you'd better not let you hear Mr. Roger say his ancestors look like some beatnik, warns Sarah, dusting the foyer table. He might not like it, huh? asks Willie, staring at the portrait--I'll have to remember that. You'd better, advises Sarah. What the guy in New York was missing was a pin like that, says Willie, pointing at the portrait--the one on the coat--it must have taken a lot of diggin' to come up with those diamonds. They should have left them in the ground, opines Sarah, dusting a statue--a good heart and a good conscience are the only jewels worth having. Willie chuckles. What if you don't have them? he asks--the good heart and all that? You'd do well to get them, says Sarah. What if you'd rather some like that pin? Asks Willie. Then you're probably past saving, she replies. Yeah, I guess so, he says, this guy here, was he past saving? Judge not lest ye be judged, she says. And the ring, and that thing around his neck, says Willie--I bet they were worth saving. She dusts the grandfather clock. You can be sure they got special attention--the Collins family was never known for its set of values, she says. But they could value something like that, huh? he asks. I wouldn't be surprised, she says. I'll bet they really hang onto stuff like that, he says--I bet they still have that pin--and the ring, too--you want to bet? I'm not a gambling woman, she says. Come on, he says, you know better than that--I bet this family's got enough jewels stashed away somewhere to buy half a continent--have they? I suppose so, she says. Come on, he cajoles, I bet you've even seen them. There you're wrong, she says--I've heard about them, just like everyone else, but seeing them is another thing. The Collins jewels are a legend by themselves, that's what I heard, says Willie. That's what they say, says Sarah. And what else do they say? he asks. Once I heard... she sees the intensity on his face and stops. What?--go on, he urges. I didn't hear anything, he says, I'm much too busy to hear stories, much less tell them. What did you hear, tell me? he demands. I didn't hear anything, she says, and if you're smart, you'll get your mind on something else besides rings and jewels and stuff like that--you hear me? Yes, ma'am, he says. She exits through into the kitchen.
Yes, ma'am, he repeats, then goes over to the portrait, head bobbing--I hear you. He smiles.

Burke's hotel room - He exits his bedroom and asks if he can put these things (David's coat) in a bag for her. No, thanks, I can manage, she says, distracted. I didn't realize I still had them in the back of my car until I had my tires rotated, says Burke--what's David been doing for a raincoat. (good auto maintenance.) He had one he'd outgrown, says Vicki--it served it's purpose. I sure wish you could have seen the expression on his face when the plane landed on the lake and taxied up to the fishing lodge, says Burke--he grinned so much, I thought the top of his head was going to come off--he's a great kid, it's a pleasure to be with him. Yes it is, agrees Vicki. Tell me what happened, he says--that creep, Willie, what's he done?--he way you're acting, he must have done something. No, says Vicki. What about his friend, McGuire, asks Burke--what's he been up to? Nothing, she says. You wouldn't lie to a guy, would you--unless you thought he was asking questions that were none of his business, is that it? Not really, she says. They must have done something, he insists--what are those jokers up to? Carolyn has to use a gun to keep Willie away, reveals Vicki--she said it was the only thing that stopped him. Then there's only one thing to be done--tell Liz, says Burke. She knows, says Vicki. What's the problem--she gave him his walking papers, didn't she? asks Burke. No, says Vicki, she told Mr. McGuire about it. She told Mr. McGuire about it--are you kidding? asks Burke. No, says Vicki. That's all she did? asks Burke. Presumable Mr. McGuire spoke to Willie, says Vicki. The next thing you're gonna tell me is Carolyn had to apologize--what's going on up there? I wish I knew! she says. I can't believe Liz would allow something like that to happen and do nothing, he says. She did speak to Mr. McGuire, says Vicki. That's next to nothing, he says. Maybe Mrs. Stoddard is right, muses Vicki--maybe we do lead such a sheltered life up at Collinwood that we let people upset us when they haven't really done anything. Perturbed, Burke asks her if she believes that. No, not at all, she says. Come on, he says, let's go--to Collinwood. You can't go there! she says. Just watch me, he says, pulling on his coat, come on. What are you going to do there--you aren't going to have a fight with Willie?--please! No, he says, not a fight, at least not the kind of fight you're thinking of--I'm not going to see Willie or his oddball friend--I'm going to see Liz. He helps her into he coat. You can't do that, she protests. I can and I am, he says. If you talk to Mrs. Stoddard about Willie and Mr. McGuire, it will make her more upset. I can't help that, he says, it sounds to me like Liz is caught up in something and I want to help if I can. She won't talk to you, predicts Vicki. He holds her arms. It's worth a try, he says--you ready? I guess so, she says--may I ask something?--I thought you and Mrs. Stoddard are enemies. We are, he says. Why do you want to help her? asks Vicki.
Let me put it this way, he says--if anyone is going to do her in, I want it to be me. He smiles.

Drawing room - I have no intention of continuing this discussion, Liz tells Burke, and I wish you'd remember that you're not welcome at Collinwood. She rises from the sofa. Burke rises from his chair. I know, he says. Please leave, she says. I didn't come up here to ask you any questions or tell you what to do, he says. Then why are you here? she asks. I came to tell you something that I know, he says. I'm not sure I'm interested, she says. He's only trying to help, says Vicki gently. I don't need any help, and I must say, I'm rather annoyed with you. Sorry, says Vicki. It's bad enough you consider it necessary to discuss what happens at Collinwood with outsiders, but to go to Burke! says Liz. She didn't come to see me because of that, at all, says Burke, she didn't want to tell me anything about what's going on at Collinwood, I had to drag it out of her--and for your information, she tried to stop me from coming here. Well, says Liz, if you won't follow her advice, then perhaps you'll follow mine--I suggest you leave. Not until I say what I've come here to say, Burke insists. Then say it quickly, says Liz. There is a very dangerous man living in this house, he tells her. Really? she asks. Yes, he says, I've seen this guy in operation, if Vicki hadn't been there, I hate to think what would have happened. Is that what you came to tell me? asks Liz--that you and Willie almost had a fight?--really, Burke! It wouldn't have been an ordinary fight, because he's not an ordinary man, says Burke--he's dangerous! Thank you for your information, she says curtly--and now may I say goodbye? She goes to the fireplace, dismissing him. Liz, says Burke, if you're in trouble... The only kind of trouble I have is with people like you, she says angrily, who interfere in things that don't concern them! I want to help, he says, I know that's hard for you to believe, but I do. Why would you want to help me? she asks--you've always hated me, you know that. I don't hate you, he says--the Collins family and what it stands for--that's what I hate--please, Liz, you need help--what kind, I don't know, but I want to give it if I can. (I always knew he liked and respected her.) I repeat, I do not need any help, just peace and quiet, she says. I give up, says Burke, exchanging glances with Vicki, but you can't say I didn't try. I'll get your coat, volunteers Vicki, and leaves the room. Burke starts to walk away. Liz thanks him for his offer--you meant it, didn't you? she asks. Yes, he says,. I'm sincerely grateful, she tells him. You mean that, too, don't you? he asks. Yes, she says.

Willie comes downstairs. He deliberately bars Vicki's way and when she asks him to please let her pass, demands the password. I haven't got time for games, she says. Who says I'm playing a game? He asks. Look, she warns him, either you let me pass, or... He holds up his hands, placating her. You don't give me a chance to apologize, he says--that's all I want to do, apologize. She tries to move past him, but he again bars her way. Will you please let me pass? She asks again. What's the rush? He asks. I am, says Burke, exiting the drawing room. Hey, it's big man, says Willie, hi, big man. All right, says Liz, that's enough. Willie apologizes. I take it back, you're not a big man, says Willie. I'm big enough to tell you something, says Burke, and you'd better listen. I thought you were leaving, says Liz. Stay away from Miss Winters, orders Burke--far, far away--you got that, Willie? Miss Winters? asks Willie--you mean Vicki? Listen, punk, advises Burke. Willie, please leave, says Liz. Sure, says Willie, chuckling, a good thing the lady's here, he tells Burke--or you might have got yourself hurt. Burke grabs Willie by the lapels and jams him up against the grandfather clock. Both Liz and Vicki utter words of protest.
Take your hands off me, says Willie. I will, says Burke, as soon as you understand what I'm saying. Take your hands off me, orders Willie, his voice soft and dangerous. Please, begs Liz, both of you, I won't stand for this--Burke, you were leaving, now please go! Please, says Vicki, fighting won't help anything. I'm not so sure, says Burke. Neither am I, agrees Willie. Let go of him right now! says Liz. Please, agrees Vicki. Burke releases Willie, who strolls past them. Don't forget what I said, says Burke. I never forget a face, warns Willie, and saunters upstairs. Burke looks furious. He and Willie exchange a look when Willie is at the top of the stairs. Burke takes Vicki's hand and squeezes it, then goes back into the drawing room, where Liz stands. You still won't change your mind about my offer to help? asks Burke--you just saw with your own eyes! What, two men with terrible tempers? Asks Liz. You saw more than that, says Burke. When you see Willie, why don't you just let him alone? asks Liz. I can't believe what you're saying! says Burke. Why, it makes sense, says Liz, you're both looking for a fight. You saw the way he was treating Vicki, says Burke. You're making too much of nothing, says Liz. Did you think it was nothing? asks Burke, incredulous--maybe I'm the one who's crazy! Maybe we should just forget it for now, suggests Vicki. Forget it? asks Burke. Vicki's right, says Liz, it's not that important. Nobody knows the Collins pride better than me, says Burke, but this is taking things too far! I don't know what you're talking about! says Liz. Your turning down my offer of help out of pride! says Burke. I am turning down your offer because I don't need it--will you please believe that? says Liz. Then will you let me put it another way, he says--maybe there's some reason you've got to put up with this guy, but think what you're doing to Vicki--to Carolyn! Please, I can't listen to anymore of this! says Liz--when will people start leaving me alone? That man has something on you, doesn't he?--him and his friend McGuire? No, no! says Liz. That's why you're acting this way, pursues Burke. No, they're not, please they're not! she cries. Let me help, for your sake, everyone's sake! pleads Burke. No, says Liz, racing from the drawing room, I don't need your help, anyone's help, leave me alone, I don't need any help!
Burke and Vicki watch her retreat, worried and scared.

NOTES: Karlen makes a much better Willie, at least I think so. Hall had his moments, but Willie's menace is more understated, more elegant, if that's possible. You see the wheels turning in his wicked head, the plans he's making to take off with the Collins family jewels--if he can find them. And his little fight with Burke was wonderful, and you know they will clash again soon.

Poor Liz. Not only does she have to fend off Jason's threats and Willie's against all the women in the family, but she now has to deal with Burke's concern for her. He's on her side, yet she must push him away. It's hard to believe that Burke now seems to be on the Collins family's side, but we know he's always liked Liz.

Great scene with Willie and Sarah J. She urges him to become a better person, but his focus is on the jewels and the pretty money he hopes to make when he finds them. There's lots of irony there, as those who've already seen the series know. Willie eventually does get his hands on the jewelry, but not to benefit himself. He was so intense in his interest for the jewels, he even made gossipy Sarah shut up. That takes some doing, and it was hilariously done here. Beatnik? LOL!

So Burke did take David fishing. That Roger allowed it shows how far things have come between Burke and the Collinses--and now he wants to help Liz out of this jam. Too bad she can't let him--and it is as much pride on her part as it is fear of someone discovering her secret. She's ashamed she's gotten herself into this situation and doesn't want anyone else to know about it.

Episode #207 - The halls of Collinwood echo to the footfalls of men who would plunder and pillage--those who have no conscience--they take and they take, until it becomes a disease, spreading uncontrollably--but there comes a time when the victims will be pushed no further--and must strike back.

Blue Whale - We see a happy couple clink glasses in a toast. Jason and Willie are at the bar, where Willie thanks Jason for buying him a drink--maybe someday I'll buy one for you, says Willie sourly. Don't worry about it, Jason assures him. I worry about it, all right, says Willie, slamming his hand on the bar, I like to slap a tenner down on the bar and but a couple of drinks. Next time, you'll buy, says Jason, smiling. When's the next time gonna be? asks Willie, next year?--that's a long time to go with empty pockets. It won't be that long, says Jason. Convince me, urges Willie. We'd have had plenty of money if you hadn't moved into Collinwood, and made all that trouble with those girls, accuses Jason. I had to get something out of this. It's going to take longer because of you, says Jason--one more blunder like that and you'll blow the whole deal, and none of us will get any of it. I'm getting tired of being told I'm lousing up the whole deal, says Willie angrily, I'm tired of being bossed around--if I don't see some dough soon, I'll show you how to get it! Jason looks at him, brow furrowed.

The trouble with us, says Jason, is we agree on what we want--money--but disagree on the best way to get it. He sips his drink. Yeah, agrees Willie, there's only one way. That's what I'm talking about, says Jason--I don't know what it's going to take to wise you up. I'll tell ya, says Willie, it'll take some money, that's all, like right now, I'd like to feel some green stuff in my pocket--I'm out to have a good time tonight (a blonde passes by and he eyes her), and like I say, I'm gonna have it. Jason hands him a bill. This should hold you for a while, he says. Are you kidding me, how long is this supposed to last? Asks Willie. Until I can get you some more, says Jason. I'll try holding my breath, says Willie disdainfully. Yes, says Jason, try that. Maggie, Sam and Joe enter the bar. Here comes the local talent, says Willie. Stay away from them, orders Jason, waving a finger at him--the last time. I remember the last time, Willie tells him. Joe asks Sam and Maggie if they like this table. Magnificent location, says Sam, excellent view of the floor show. There's our friend again, says Maggie doubtfully, sitting down. Yeah, I see him, says Joe. Who's that? asks Sam. Some houseguest from up at Collinwood, says Maggie. Collinwood? asks Sam, high society. Just the opposite, laughs Joe. Don't stare at them, Maggie tells her father. Who are they? asks Sam. Friends of the family, I guess, replies Maggie--the older one seems all right, but that other one is bad news. See them look right at me? Willie asks Jason--they're talkin' about me. So what? asks Jason--you've been talked about before, you have a way of making friends. I'm not out to make friends, says Willie nastily. I can see that, says Jason, listen, you're too edgy, just relax. How do you relax when you haven't any dough in your pocket? demands Willie. The blonde girl passes by again. Willie puts money in the juke. You've got to trust me, begs Jason, or we won't get anything out of this. OK, I'll listen! says Willie. I don't want you to tangle with anyone, says Jason. Willie promises, but says he won't let anyone push him around. That makes sense, agrees Jason, let me see if I can mend some of the fences you broke down--we might be able to get along with these locals--until it's time for us to move on. There's only one guy in this town of won't be able to get along with, says Willie--Burke Devlin--we're going to lock horns for sure. Stay away from him, says Jason. Him and me nearly had it twice, says Willie--next time, there's be no stopping us. That's what I mean, says Jason, you'll have to avoid him. I'll do what I can, says Willie, but I can't promise anything. The sounds of the Beatles "My Love Don't Give Me Presents" fills the room. Burke Devlin comes in. Jason grabs Willie's arms. Hey, look what just stumbled in, says Willie, as he and Burke exchange glances. Stay away from him, warns Jason. Look at him just starin' at me, says Willie, grinning evilly. Forget about him, says Jason, it doesn't mean a thing, he's just checking you out to see if you're going to make a move--and you're not. I'll stare him down if that's what he's lookin' for, brags Willie. Turn away! says Jason. Why should I? asks Willie. Jason stands in front of him, blocking his view of Burke. You don't want this man Devlin for an enemy, he says--I mean it, Willie!--turn away! Willie grins and turns back to the bar. Burke gives him a look. With dumb people, says Willie, it's just fate. He looks at Burke and Jason, angry, pulls him back to the bar.

Burke joins Maggie, Sam and Joe, remarking that it certainly is a motley looking crew in here tonight. Motlier than ever lately, says Joe, explaining that he and Willie squared off a few nights ago, but his buddy broke it up. What started it? asks Burke. He was getting a little pushy with Maggie, says Joe. Thanks for protecting my daughter, says Sam, it means I buy you an extra drink. I don't understand how Mrs. Stoddard can have them up at Collinwood, remarks Maggie. This surprises Joe, too--how can Mrs. Stoddard let a creep like that up at Collinwood with the girls there? I tried to find out her motive myself, says Burke, figure out what was going on--Vicki, Carolyn, even Roger had been asking the same questions--I got a big mind my own business. Liz Stoddard isn't herself these days, says Sam. No, she isn't, agrees Burke, Willie was annoying Vicki, I stopped in, Mrs. Stoddard stopped me--I could have broken his neck. The way you're looking at him just now, I think you still have it in your mind, says Maggie.
The temptation is tremendous, admits Burke. It would only mean trouble, says Sam, and we've had enough of that to last us a long time. I've just gotten a 10 year vendetta off my back, says Burke, I'm not looking for any trouble, but on the other hand, I can't walk away from anything that involves me. Sam says he's going up to the bar, where the real fun is. The bartender brings over drinks. Maggie warns her father not to have too much fun. Sam takes his drink from the bartender's tray and teasingly calls his daughter a killjoy. He goes to the bar. I want this man Devlin for a friend, Jason tells Willie. So, have him, says the latter. He can be very useful to us, says Jason--I found out he did time. He's an ex-con? Asks Willie. Five years, says Jason, smiling. That's the funniest thing I've ever heard! Says Willie happily--the guy acts like he own the town and he's done a stretch! Got a lot of money, says Jason. Maybe that's why they sent him up, suggests Willie. No, says Jason, it was for something else. You never can tell about people, says Willie--what an act he puts on!--I bet he eve goes to church on Sunday. Never mind what he was, says Jason--right now, he's quite a power in this town, so you just cool it and I'll go cultivate him. Sure, go ahead, says Willie, and give him my regards. Jason goes over to the table and greets his friends. He asks to speak to Burke on a matter that could be easily settled--I hate to take you away from your friends, says Jason, but it's important. All right, agrees Burke. I'm buying, what are you having? Asks Jason. Bourbon, says Burke. Jason calls over to the bartender for two bourbons. He and Burke leave the table to sit at another. Now, says Jason, I know I shouldn't intrude like that, but I want to talk to you about my friend--he's a good lad, he really is. He's one of the worst creeps to crawl out of the woodwork in a long time, says Burke. You don't understand him, says Jason. I'm not his analyst, says Burke. We could all use one, says Jason. Yes, but that doesn't excuse his behavior, says Burke, and I'll tell you frankly--if he lets out one more peep, I'm going to wipe up the streets with him . Jason looks uncomfortable at this threat. The blonde passes Willie again, and he makes a face that says, ooh, I want me a piece of that!

Bob brings over drinks for Burke and Jason. Willie notices Sam sitting at the other end of the bar and brings over his drink and offers to buy Sam another. Why? asks Sam. Just trying to be friendly, says Willie. Sure, says Sam, who would probably accept a drink from Hitler himself, that's a very friendly thing to do. Willie orders the bartender to give Sam another drink. What made you decide to be so friendly? asks Sam. I've been in town a while, says Willie, haven't made any friends, figured I'd give it one last try. You picked the right man, says Sam, I'm the friendliest man in town. Let's drink to that, says Willie, raising his glass, and a grinning Sam does the same and comes over to clink glasses with him. Another thing, says Willie, I've been lookin' at your beard--is it real? Yeah, says Sam, but don't pull it. They grin at each other and laugh. It looks good, says Willie--why did you grow it? I don't know, says Sam, I got tired of shaving. He drinks. I thought of growing a beard, says Willie, and I started to, but it felt so crummy, and people started to look at me different. Don't worry about people, says Sam. I don't, says Willie, I usually do what I want anyway. They laugh.

I see your father's in very good company, says Joe to Maggie. Uh oh, she says. That's OK, says Willie, that creep only likes to pick on girls, anyway. I wish Pop would move away from him, says Maggie, I don't trust him at all. Do you want me to go over and steer your father away from him? offers Joe. No, I'd rather you didn't get involved, either. I don't think there's going to be any problem, says Joe, his buddy's here to calm him down. I wish Pop would move away from him, says Maggie.

OK, Burke tells Jason, he hated his mother and carried his security blanket around until he was 19, what else does he do? You just won't believe he's basically good, says Jason, like all people. Not for a moment, says Burke, but I'm curious--you're different from him, and yet you travel with him--why?
There's some people you think you can never get close to, remarks Jason, with whom you have absolutely nothing in common--suddenly, fate throws you together--we've been around a bit, gone on a few voyages together, he's a good lad, hard worker--if he likes ya, he'll do anything in the world for ya. You missed your calling, says Burke, you should have been a social worker. They laugh. How long you planning to stay in town? asks Burke. I don't know yet, says Jason, just visiting. Nothing more? Asks Burke. Nothing more, says Jason. You're presence up at Collinwood has caused some discomfort with several of my friends, says Burke. I'm sorry to hear that, says Jason, I thought I'd been genial and pleasant to everyone--I can understand your feelings about my friend. No, it goes deeper than that, says Burke--you have another motive for being there, something that gives you the run of the house. Jason laughs--is that what I've got--the run of the house, eh? Whatever you've got, says Burke, I just want you to know that I like those people and am worried about those up at Collinwood. I'll keep that in mind, says Jason, although I don't know what you're talking about--cheers.

You've got to be kidding, Willie tells Sam--you're an artist, you paint pictures? Yes, says Sam, without the use of numbers. How do you like that, says Willie, I've never met an artist before--that's why you grew that beard! Well, says Sam, no. I hear all artists is crazy, says Willie. Not true, says Sam. Sure, says Willie, as Sam smokes his pipe, you've gotta be crazy to do that kind of stuff!--do you do all those cartoons? No, I just paint what I see in this vicinity, says Sam. Do you make any dough at it? asks Willie. Just enough to get by, says Sam. Willie puts a hand on his shoulder. Then why don't you get wise and paint that other stuff that makes dough? Asks Willie. I'm not interested, says Sam, his smile fading. He drinks. Do you paint girls? Asks Willie. Let's talk about something else, suggests Sam. I want to know if you have models, asks Willie.

Joe checks his watch. Would you excuse me for a minute? asks Joe, I'm supposed to call the night supervisor--one of the boats had engine trouble and was late getting in--it will just take a second--he glances toward Willie--you stay put until I get back. Sam, fed up with Willie's grilling, starts to rejoin Maggie at the table, but Willie puts him back, urging him to tell him about his models. I don't use them, I tell you! shouts Sam. Spotting trouble, Maggie comes toward them.

I've heard all about you artists, I've heard stories! Insists Willie. Excuse me, says Maggie, joining them. Hello there, says Willie. Pop, we're waiting for you, come on, says Maggie. Is this your daughter? asks Willie excitedly. That's right, says Sam. You've got a mighty nice looking family, says Willie, and he asks Maggie if she'll let him buy that drink she wouldn't have before. No thank you, she says, holding onto Sam's arm--come on, we have to go. I get it, says Willie, you don't want him to talk to me--I know when I'm gettin' the business--you think you're something else, too special, too good for words, well let me tell ya, you're nothin' special at all. Now you just take it easy, buddy, says Sam. And your old man, here, says Willie, he's worse than you are, paintin' pictures no one will buy. Now listen here, says Sam. At the other table, Burke and Jason have noticed what's going on. Your daughter ever model for ya? asks Willie, walking around, inspecting Maggie, she looks like she could be a model, nice build. Sam gets into his face, warning him to watch what his mouth . I'll say whatever I want to say! threatens Willie. You say whatever you want to say--well, say it to me! says Burke from behind him. Come on, Pop, says Maggie, leading him away. Oh, it's Mr. Burke Devlin, says Willie. You've got something to say to me? asks Burke--this is a great opportunity--speak up. Jason stands by and tries to get Willie to walk away. Wait, now Mrs. Burke Devlin wants me to speak up, says Willie. Speak up, says Burke, because you'll be gone in 10 seconds. Where will I be gone to? asks Willie--who's going to send me there? I am, warns Burke. You know you terrify me half to death, mocks Willie. You've caused a lot of trouble to people in this town, says Burke, but this is the end of it, right now. Pretty big talk, says Willie. I can do more than talk, says Burke. You think you're a pretty big man in this town, doncha? Asks Willie, baring his teeth. Jason tries to pull Willie away, but the latter shrugs him off. I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, says Willie, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt! There's the door, says Burke, if you're wise, you'll walk out of it--if you're not, you'll be carried out! Atta boy! says Willie, clapping his hands--now you're talkin' like a real ex-con! Burke hits him across the face, backhanding him. Willie falls against the bar, then pulls a switchblade out of his pocket. Maggie screams. You're dead, jailbird, says Willie, pointing the knife at him. Cool it, Bob! Orders Burke, I'll handle this punk. He and Willie begin to circle each other, Willie taking futile stabs at Burke with the knife. Burke grabs Willie's arms and forces him to drop the weapon, then pushes him against the bar, which nearly topples over, and gives him several good punches to the face and body. Willie falls to the floor, grunting.
Get up, Willie! Orders Burke, but Willie lies there in a heap. Get him out of here, says Burke, and Joe and Sam escort Willie out the door. You'd better get your buddy out of town, Burke tells Jason, and fast, because if you don't, I'm coming after both of you. Jason leaves. Maggie runs over to check Burke's messed up hands. Burke closes the knife he took from Willie, assuring her he's fine. Sam and Joe come back, and Burke tells them Willie's been asking for it for weeks, and somebody finally had to give it to him.

Jason joins Willie, who us nursing a cut lip, out on the docks. I'm going to kill him, vows Willie. Don't start talking like that, says Jason . I mean it, says Willie, looking at the handkerchief that is stained with his blood, I mean it. It won't do any good, says Jason. I don't care, says Willie. You've got to get out of town now, says Jason. I'm gonna get that man, says Willie. Sure, says Jason, do whatever you like with Devlin, but please, wait until we get the money--doesn't that makes sense. Yeah, says Willie. You leave, says Jason, it will take the pressure off me. I'll be coming back for him, says Willie. You've got to go, right away, says Jason. OK, agrees Willie, but I'm not going unless I get enough dough--and I mean enough. I'll get it, promises Jason--I'll get it.
He walks away. Willie looks like he'd love to kill someone, right now.

NOTES: A little violence in the tight confines of the DS studio! Pretty good, too, but Willie was no match for Burke. Wonder why Jason felt he should tell Burke that Willie hated his mother and carries his security blanket until he was 19? It only made Willie seem like a wimp.

Sam is so friendly to everyone, especially those who offer to buy him a drink, but he bit off more than he could chew with Willie, whose only interest in his artwork was the money it made--and whether he got to paint nude female models. Always focusing on what's important is Willie, LOL! What a low life! He attempts to befriend Sam, then makes dirty remarks about his daughter--what's his problem?

What will happen now? Willie's vowed to kill Burke, will he make good on his threat? Will Jason get the chance to continue shaking down Liz if Willie keeps his promise to go?

Burke is chummy with Sam and insists he cares about those up at Collinwood. Now that he's vindicated, I guess he's not only willing to let bygones go by, but take on former enemies as friends. Pretty big of him, but given his original plans to ruin the Collins family, not in keeping with what we expected.

Love, Robin