Author Topic: FILLING THEIR  SHOES  (Read 2404 times)

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
FILLING THEIR  SHOES
« on: May 04, 2002, 06:54:11 PM »
Let's just pretend on a certain day of taping one of the primary actresses/actors was not available and a substitute was taken from the regulars to play the part.
You are in charge of substituting one of the regulars in a particular role. You select the absent actor (which character) and the substitute, who will fill their shoes. Give a reason for your choice.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: FILLING THEIR  SHOES
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2002, 10:17:11 PM »
A good replacement for Vicky's character would have been Daphne. I feel that Daphne had many of the wholesome qualities that Vicky also possessed. Daphne also had a good repoire with the children as Vicky did. Although both of these characters played different parts, had different roles to play, I think that if Daphne had been the replacement for Vicky's character, she would have done a good job.

A good substitute for the 2nd Dr.Woodard's character would be Dr.Peter Guthrie. I liked his genuine good nature and willingness to help people.

I don't think anyone could replace Barnabas or Angelique. These two characters are so unique. ;)

How about Garth Blackwood for Dr.Lang?  ;D
Good topic Vam!
"Calamity Jane"

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2002, 10:36:00 PM »

How about Garth Blackwood for Dr.Lang?  ;D
Good topic Vam!

I always had a soft spot for the Master of Dartmoor...How could you possibly know? ::)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2002, 11:33:27 PM »
I always had a soft spot for the Master of Dartmoor...How could you possibly know? ::)

Hey VAM!
That  post made you our first Senior Member.  Congratulations!!

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2002, 11:47:33 PM »
Hey VAM!

CONGRATULATIONS!! VAM!! Way to go!!![/glow] [beer]    
"Calamity Jane"

Offline MikeS

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2002, 11:54:28 PM »
Hey VAM!

CONGRATULATIONS, VAM!!

Keep coming up with those great topics!  :)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2002, 11:55:48 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS VAM!!! [hello]

WAY TO GO!!  Our First Senior Member!!!  :o

Can't wait to see what "prizes" are in store for our Premiere Poster!!  ;D

Rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2002, 01:24:50 AM »
THANKS TO MIDNITE AND ALL FOR YOUR KIND WORDS!

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2002, 01:46:58 AM »
Kudos to you, VAM!  

Now, to your question. . .

I think Vicki and Maggie are virtually interchangeable, anyway, given that KLS basically replaced Vicki as the dumb ingenue after she left the show, so if AM ever needed someone in her shoes, KLS would be perfect.  It's just too bad that they changed Maggie, who had so much spunk and smarts, into a Vicki clone after AM exited the show.

I can't think of any others right now.  Perhaps one will occur to me later.

Congrats again, VAM!

Love, Robin
Author, LAUGH OUT LOUDS FOR MOMS
(A fabulous gift for a mother you love for Mother's Day)

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2002, 02:02:45 AM »

I think Vicki and Maggie are virtually interchangeable, anyway, given that KLS basically replaced Vicki as the dumb ingenue after she left the show, so if AM ever needed someone in her shoes, KLS would be perfect.  

Love, Robin
Author, LAUGH OUT LOUDS FOR MOMS
(A fabulous gift for a mother you love for Mother's Day)

Robin,

I was actually thinking of TLATKLS when I created the post... :)

Offline MikeS

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2002, 02:09:18 AM »
Would be interesting to see Joel Crothers fill in for David Selby as Quentin.  Crothers' portrayal of Nathan in 1795 showed his great versatility, I think he could do a good job with a complex character like Quentin.

Another fill-in I think would be interesting is Kathryn Leigh Scott filling in for Virginia Vestoff as Samantha Collins in the 1840 story.  I understand the role was originally intended for Scott, and a lot of people seem to feel the character would have been weaker had she played it.  But Scott did a good job the short time she played Lady Kitty in 1897, quite a different character than Maggie/Josette/Rachel, and I think it would have been interesting to see how she would have portrayed Samantha.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2002, 02:41:56 AM »
Would be interesting to see Joel Crothers fill in for David Selby as Quentin.  Crothers' portrayal of Nathan in 1795 showed his great versatility, I think he could do a good job with a complex character like Quentin.

Totally agree with you on this.  Crothers was such an interesting actor--it's really a shame he didn't get more of a chance to stretch his wings a little.

Another fill-in I think would be interesting is Kathryn Leigh Scott filling in for Virginia Vestoff as Samantha Collins in the 1840 story.  I understand the role was originally intended for Scott, and a lot of people seem to feel the character would have been weaker had she played it.  But Scott did a good job the short time she played Lady Kitty in 1897, quite a different character than Maggie/Josette/Rachel, and I think it would have been interesting to see how she would have portrayed Samantha.

I enjoyed Scott's performance of Lady Hampshire until they decided to turn her into the standard stupid but pretty ingenue.  She had such a nice edge going with the character until that point--imagine how it could have been to have her continue as the hardened golddigger that they began with.

As for Samantha, I guess my feeling here is that Virginia Vestoff was definitely the stronger actress.  If and this is a big IF, they had kept Samantha as a separate and distinct character and not turned her into a Josette clone and not had Barnabas chasing after her, then I could see KLS doing well with the part.  But honestly, I don't think Curtis and co. would have been able to do that.

For my own suggestions a replacement actors.  I would have liked to see Elizabeth Eis as Maggie.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2002, 04:20:44 AM »
Hmmmm....interesting thought. How about Robert Rodan (Adam) instead of Anthony George as Burke #2? I would have liked to see Sharon Smyth come back, she could have done either of the Kathy Cody roles, Hallie or Carrie Stokes. And having seen a picture of Clarice Blackburn as she really looked, I think she could have filled in for Julia in a pinch.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2002, 07:29:23 PM »
Hmmmm....interesting thought. How about Robert Rodan (Adam) instead of Anthony George as Burke #2? I would have liked to see Sharon Smyth come back, she could have done either of the Kathy Cody roles, Hallie or Carrie Stokes. And having seen a picture of Clarice Blackburn as she really looked, I think she could have filled in for Julia in a pinch.

It is interesting that they kept Clarice a wigged brunette. . she coulda come busting out as a completely different,blonde character. . .i'll continue this in a new category. . .
Julia99

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2002, 03:59:42 AM »
Roger Davis in a role he didn't scream!
or
Micheal S as one of the lawyers dressed in a Brook's Brother's suit.(He'd have to tone down the hair)

jennifer

Congratulations Vam!!!!!!!!!
and thanks for all the great posts! ;)
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV