Author Topic: For goodness sake, will someone please give me a definitive answer...  (Read 6850 times)

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: For goodness sake, will someone please give me a definitive answer...
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 11:22:22 PM »
Bite your tongue!  :o  (Or should that be sprain your fingers?) Those storylines contain some of my favorite stuff as well as some absolutely wonderful performances that should never be missed. And they should be on the list on every serious DS collector.  ;)

It always amazes me, MB, (but never surprises me, because you are a rare bird) that you especially like PT '70 & PT '41. We became friends via DS and yet, this is something I didn't know about you until just weeks ago.

My favorite thing about PT '41 is that we learn [spoiler]Barn & Josette did marry and live happily until Barn's death.[/spoiler]

It just came to mind that PT '41 is the only PT timeline that doesn't have any time travelers in it. Am I right?

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2007, 11:29:51 PM »
I've been giving my old VHS tapes away to a friend as I've been acquiring the DVDs, but I will probably keep the 3 or 4 tapes that have Grayson Hall on the cover photo (even though the images they chose do quite a disservice to the Divine One's beauty, in my not-so-humble-opinion).

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2007, 11:37:39 PM »
As for where you stop, you don't.

Exactly!

Listen to Alondra here, people - she is a voice of sanity on this issue.

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2007, 11:42:29 PM »
As for where you stop, you don't.

Exactly!

Listen to Alondra here, people - she is a voice of sanity on this issue.

Why thank you MB!!!

Alondra
;D

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2007, 11:45:13 PM »
you are a rare bird

I'll take that as the compliment I know you meant it as.  :D

you especially like PT '70 & PT '41.

I especially like 1970PT. I count it as one of my favorite storylines. 1841PT I enjoy and certainly appreciate. It's not among my top 5 - but nor is it among my least favorite. And even my least favorite (which everyone should know by now because I've posted about it often enough) has many wonderful moments, so I would never ever pass up buying it on DVD.  ;)

It just came to mind that PT '41 is the only PT timeline that doesn't have any time travelers in it. Am I right?

It has two characters who pop in briefly, and another who dies there - but there aren't any ongoing characters from another time period/band.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2007, 11:46:56 PM »
If I point out that I've never owned 10 seconds of the show, on ANY format, will I be summarily drummed out of the forum?
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2007, 11:50:26 PM »
No - but only because you have excellent reasons as to why you've yet to purchase any tapes or DVDs.  ;D  You've never once said that you wouldn't buy them.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2007, 11:54:45 PM »
No - but only because you have excellent reasons as to why you've yet to purchase any tapes or DVDs.  ;D  You've never once said that you wouldn't buy them.

Oh, Thank Goddess.....where else would I go to get my "fix"??!! [vryevl]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2007, 11:58:42 PM »
you are a rare bird

I'll take that as the compliment I know you meant it as.  :D

Heheh, I looked it up to make sure I had the right phrase and that it was indeed generally accepted as complimentary. (Mama didn't raise no fool, lol.)  ;D

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2007, 03:48:19 PM »
I'd sell them if I weren't so attached to the boxes

Dom, this is the problem I have w/my 1841 PT tapes.  I bought all 10 tapes that contain 1841 PT but now have that plotline on volumes 25 and 26 of the DVD's.  But I like the box art on the tapes so am not sure I want to sell them.   :-
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2007, 06:02:56 PM »
My favorite thing about PT '41 is that we learn [spoiler]Barn & Josette did marry and live happily until Barn's death.[/spoiler]
and the funny thing about that
[spoiler]is from the screencap I have seen of the Elder Josette (very serene and regal looking, btw) it looks as though Josette's hair is blond gone gray rather than brunette gone gray. Maybe PT Josette was blond and so Barn wasn't tempted to test the adage "blonds have more fun" with Angelique?[/spoiler] ;D
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2007, 06:27:45 PM »
Elder Josette looks as though her hair is blond gone gray rather than brunette gone gray. Maybe PT Josette was blond and so Barn wasn't tempted to test the adage "blonds have more fun" with Angelique?

An interesting theory Nelson.  Someone should write a fan fiction story about PT Barnabas and Josette in 1795 PT.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2007, 07:12:12 PM »
I have to agree with MB about 1970PT. I think it's one of the best storylines on DS. It's a simply murder mystery, but with a good DS twist infused in there. Suspicion passes from one person to the next as several people claim to "know" who's killed Angelique, and this leads to several characters' death, who, in RT, have never been killed. The killing of this "mainstream" characters is shocking, even though we know in RT that they are still alive and well.

I like this storyline not only because of it's simple nature, but also because it's so tightly contained. It's not like 1897 that stretched on for 9 months (or some absurd amount of time). It lasted for it's run and was well played by all the actors. And although the absense of many of the shows more popular characters in the beginning of the arc posed a problem because it felt awkward at first, it gave room for Quentin and Angelique to shine brilliantly.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2007, 07:44:25 PM »
I have to agree with MB about 1970PT. I think it's one of the best storylines on DS. It's a simply murder mystery, but with a good DS twist infused in there. Suspicion passes from one person to the next as several people claim to "know" who's killed Angelique, and this leads to several characters' death, who, in RT, have never been killed. The killing of this "mainstream" characters is shocking, even though we know in RT that they are still alive and well.

I like this storyline not only because of it's simple nature, but also because it's so tightly contained. It's not like 1897 that stretched on for 9 months (or some absurd amount of time). It lasted for it's run and was well played by all the actors. And although the absense of many of the shows more popular characters in the beginning of the arc posed a problem because it felt awkward at first, it gave room for Quentin and Angelique to shine brilliantly.

I agree. It's one of my favorite storylines too. I love Quentin as master of Collinwood though I hated how he treated his wife. There are a lot of things about that relationship that puzzle me but I won't go into all that, I've belabored that point in many places.

The whole scene with [spoiler]Angelique and Alexis and how Angelique forces her sister to take her place in the coffin is riveting. Lara is playing both roles but it's clearly two different people. It's awesome. And where but DS are you going to find lines like this that make perfect sense? "I was murdered. I have to find out who my murderer was."[/spoiler]

Though I miss JK for a lot of this storyline, I think that David Selby, Lara Parker and Chris Pennock picked up the slack and did a great job of it. I didn't even really miss Barnabas.

Alondra

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2007, 07:54:20 PM »
Thanks for the credit dom!