Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0227  (Read 1198 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0227
« on: February 06, 2007, 06:00:30 AM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0227
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 04:05:31 PM »
Ha!  I'm so glad that I commented unfavorably on yesterday's episode-ending Bite, because the rehash at beginning of today's episode was vastly superior, and must have been what Jonathan Frid was talking about when he said it was his best bite.  The fangs were in, but the mouth wasn't opened attention-grabbingly wide.  Instead, what grabbed my attention was the eyes - just glistening with anticipation.  Boy oh boy did Barnabas want Maggie!

It's such fun watching when I'm familiar with what's going on, because I can pay attention to the details.  Remembering those glistening eyes, I found Barnabas much creepier than I've found him before during this time.  And the business at the end when Maggie prepared the way for Barnabas's return visit was much more erotic than I remembered it.  The part in the middle of the episode, with Joe and Sam trying to help Maggie, was very nice - inching into the ordeal that Maggie's just starting to undergo.  My mother describes soap operas as "three days to get through a revolving door."  (Don't know whether she got it from somebody else.)  They can spend as long as they want on this revolving door.  I'm loving every second of it.

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 05:08:03 PM »
Maggie sleeps past her normal time for getting up and she looks awful.  The make-up crew did a marvelous job on her face.  She keeps grabbing her neck and pulling her hair across it.  I'm trying to see if there are fang marks but you can't see clearly.  Sam says the sea air is the most unhealth thing to breath.  Who says so?  I love the smell of the sea and it's a great pick-me-up.  I know, she could get a chill from the cold night air whether they are by the sea or not.

Maggie's illness is similar to Willie's, weak/sick during the day and feeling much better at night.  Maggie's remark that her hearing was improving since her illness was very eerie.  I keep wondering if biting her on the neck didn't wake her up.  Someone biting my neck would certainly wake me up.

When Maggie arrives at the Old House with Sam, she doesn't seem as nervous around Barnabas now that he's nibbled [cough] on her neck.  Some of her facial expressions are rather coy.  It also seemed like they were communicating silently between themselves.

At home, Maggie goes to bed and is still restless. I would guess so!!  She's been in bed all day. ;) She opens the double doors so she can have ... night air or a visitor?  We can only assume it's the latter.

Watching these episodes in B & W makes the experience all the more spooky.

Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 05:32:46 PM »
I always love it when the voiceover promises "a night of horror at Collinwood."  It's soooo deliciously over-the-top!

Maggie being exhausted and then getting her mojo back when summoned is classic vampire material.  I believe this is in Stoker, as well--I know in the Lucy story they had the business with the victim being exhausted during the day and then coming "back to life" at night.

Great chem between KLS and Frid in this show.  A harbinger of things to come!

G.

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 07:05:48 PM »
Episode #227

The repeat of Barn's visit to Maggie from the day before was much better. I assume that Frid now had his fangs in, his teeth seemed longer but I wasn't sure. He didn't bare them, he just smiled in anticipation of the bite.

The next morning Maggie oversleeps, and when Sam comes in, he says she never oversleeps, she is always up at the crack of dawn, fixing coffee. When she learns that she's late for work she wants to get up but feels too weak, even when she sits up she feels like a limp rag. She has no energy and feels cold. Sam observes that her french doors are open (Barnabas could have shut them after he left, geeze, that was so inconsiderate!) He says the sea air is the worst thing to breathe which confused me, if that were so they'd always be sick! She insists on getting up and going to work, otherwise they will be short handed. Sam wants her to stay home and take the day off but she snaps at him, and apologizes, (looks like a bad case of PMS to me lol!) She feels she can't just stay in bed all day.

Later at the coffee shop she is very out of it, weak and dizzy. Joe comes in and wants some coffee but when she goes to get it for him she breaks a cup and saucer (I love the cups and saucers at the diner, the saucers are deep) then she gets another cup and pours a half cup, and then too much. Joe is confused as to what's wrong with her. She says she slept badly and had more bad dreams. They seemed so real! Sam enters and when he asks how she's feeling she says better. Joe disputes this, and when she goes to pour some coffee for Sam, she falls across the counter, and passes out.

Later at home Joe is with her sitting on her bed and her spirits seem to be better, but she still feels bad. She'll stay in bed and feel better tomorrow, and go to work. When Joe says he'll bring flowers she freaks since in her dream he brought flowers to her grave. Poor Maggie!

At the Old House, Barnabas takes a candle to the window and looks out. Maggie is in her room brushing her hair (seems to do that a lot) when Sam enters and tells her he is going to the Old House to work on Barn's portrait. Willie had been there to tell him Barnabas wanted him to work. (Darn it I missed him!) She claims to have heard him but this isn't possible. It was of course Barn's "communication" with her that let her know this. She decides to drive him up so she can get some air.

At the Old House, Barnabas lets them in. Sam asks if Willie can bring him home and Barn says sure. Sam wants Maggie to go back home and sleep as she wasn't well that day. Barnabas asks how she is, she says fine, and as she's leaving he says sleep well. There was a silent communication going on with him and Maggie had a bold look in her eye that I didn't like, it seemed rather predatory, almost as though she were the vampire!

Barnabas sits down and again comments that she is a lovely girl and Sam agrees. (I think this is the third time now they've had this exchange) Barnabas asks about her illness and Sam explains how she woke up feeling weak.

Later Sam tells Barnabas he has a few parts to fill in so he can relax a bit. He wants to take the painting home and work on it in the daylight but Barnabas nixes this, he wants the portrait completed there. Sam says he's tired and wants to knock off early, but Barnabas suggests he work a while longer, and then take the next night off. Sam agrees, and makes it sound as if it was his idea! Barnabas decides to get some fresh blood I mean air, and leaves.

Maggie is in bed tossing and turning again, she gets up and opens the french doors, gets back into bed and removes her scarf, baring her neck which she knows Barnabas will be there to nibble on shortly.

I hope Barnabas has at least paid Sam an advance on the portrait since Maggie is going to be taking more days off work due to this illness which he has caused.

Alondra

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 08:58:41 PM »
By looking at this show you see that the make up was done darker, (That could have been the lighting). You sill don't see the bite.
[spoiler]when Barn is the vampire they always make his eye make-up darker[/spoiler] I really like the antagonism between Maggie and everyone except Barn she doesn't know how to handle all the questions.  It was almost like she was having an affair and she was hiding something which she is.  :-X :-*

Very good show and very good build up.  The set looks better Willie is working hard at the Old house.  ;)
[/color]
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 09:13:20 PM »
I liked the little exchange between Barnabas and Maggie when Maggie takes Sam to the Old House. The little smirk and the way she stares at him...

CT!_CTP/FITBs

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 11:21:00 AM »
This is when we start seeing "Maggie the Bitch" - such a departure from the old Maggie.  It's interesting that BEFORE Barnabas bit Maggie, she was anxious and nervous around him - but AFTER he bit her, she was anxious to be with him and the silent communication between them was very sensual.  I couldn't see the bite marks on her neck, either.

I really like Maggie's room. [winkg] So feminine and the French doors were fabulous!  Her phone was a color other than black - I wonder what color? 

I agree that these episodes are spookier in black and white.  Our tv was black and white, so even when DS was in color, I saw it in black and white - except when I saw it at my sister's house on her color tv.  I didn't watch DS in color until MANY YEARS LATER!

----- Sally -----

[coolg]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]