Author Topic: You Tube  (Read 2757 times)

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
You Tube
« on: January 30, 2007, 05:38:31 AM »
Hello All!

While on my break at school today I happened by the library and hopped on a computer and went to You Tube where I found a great many DS videos, quite a bit more than I would've guessed were actually there.

There were all sorts of things from music videos to clips to tributes to videos taken at fests, and more I'm sure I didn't get to. I wanted to save some for tomorrow! lol.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone cared to talk about some of those videos. I particularly found most of the videos I viewed that were by Dark Shadows Addict to be very entertaining, and quite a bit of the music videos that I watched were quite well done.

I also watched the first part of a David Selby interview from the Merv Griffen show I believe. It was great fun to watch it, and very entertaining even though I've never watched Falcon Crest, which was the show he was on to talk about. I recommend it to everyone!

And finally, I watched a number of clips (okay, so I spent like 2 hours there, so what?!) from the 91 Revival Series and found it to be quite well done. Before I was hardly interested in ever watching it, and now I'm kind of intrigued. Any comments that anyone could provide about the series would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking about tracking down a low-cost copy somewhere so I can watch the show.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: You Tube
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 06:34:52 AM »
Most of the ones you mentioned have been discussed here, but I'm glad you brought up the '91 series clips.  I watched a handful of them yesterday, and there's some good (and sometimes amusing) stuff with Lysette Anthony (Angelique), Jim Fyfe (as Ben Loomis) and Rebecca Staab (Daphne).

They're from the DVD release, btw.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 11:57:58 AM »
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: You Tube/enjoy while you can
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 01:41:32 PM »
Enjoy these clips while you can. When Google aquired YouTube one of their first claims was to announce getting rid of all the copyrighted material on the site.

Just a friendly warning for those of us who put off today what we think we will be able to do tomorrow.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 06:40:56 PM »
I like this one:

If Art Wallace was still alive, he might be suing for leaving out his "story created by" credit - and rightly so.  ;)

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 07:09:11 PM »
I like this, I hope that Art Wallace doesn't get upset.  I think Dan thought it was his baby.  >:D
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 07:34:17 PM »
I think Dan thought it was his baby.

True. But DC had a rude surprise back in the '70s when Wallace sued him - and won.

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 08:10:12 PM »
Oh dear, I will be sorry if those vids are deleted from you tube, some of them are excellent. I in particular like one with Quentin and Beth with the song "I Hate Myself for Loving You." I don't like rock music and I don't like Joan Jett but that song is perfect for that vid.

As for the 1991 series, it's on DVD and being sold all the time now on ebay.

Alondra

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 10:54:40 PM »
I love Dark Shadows Addict's videos.  The man is a GENIUS!

G.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 05:13:33 AM »
Enjoy these clips while you can. When Google aquired YouTube one of their first claims was to announce getting rid of all the copyrighted material on the site.

God I hope they DON'T do that.  I'd hate to lose all my wonderful Guiding Light clips!  Not to mention all the DS and Emergency, GH etc...I've saved!  Damn, EVERYTHING would be GONE!   :'(  More than 1/2 the videos on YouTube contain SOME copywrighted stuff.  I mean, I really don't understand WHY they would do that, no one is PROFITTING from these videos, ppl are just sharing!  And it's not like anyone who DOES own the copyright is selling it somewhere.   ::)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007, 10:38:14 AM »
you can use keepvid to save videos from youtube directly to your harddrive:

http://keepvid.com
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2007, 04:25:43 PM »
retzev, I could kiss ya!  Thanks for the tip, I will do that indeed!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007, 06:21:21 PM »
More than 1/2 the videos on YouTube contain SOME copywrighted stuff.  I mean, I really don't understand WHY they would do that, no one is PROFITTING from these videos, ppl are just sharing!  And it's not like anyone who DOES own the copyright is selling it somewhere.   ::)

The creator of a work has the exclusive right, by law, to make copies or dispose of copies of their own work.  Whether those copies are being sold for profit or not, and whether the copyright holder is still making money off of the original work or not, have absolutely nothing to do with it.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2007, 04:00:59 PM »
More than 1/2 the videos on YouTube contain SOME copywrighted stuff.  I mean, I really don't understand WHY they would do that, no one is PROFITTING from these videos, ppl are just sharing!  And it's not like anyone who DOES own the copyright is selling it somewhere.   ::)

The creator of a work has the exclusive right, by law, to make copies or dispose of copies of their own work.  Whether those copies are being sold for profit or not, and whether the copyright holder is still making money off of the original work or not, have absolutely nothing to do with it.

I never said any creator of any work didn't have the right to do the above.  I merely said that since no one was profiting, and since it is VERY unlikely that most of the copyrighted stuff on YouTube (old clips of old soaps, i.e. the scenes w/Grayson in them) will ever be put onto DVD so that said creators can profit, I don't see the harm in them being on YouTube so that ppl can stroll down memory lane by watching them. 
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2007, 05:03:05 PM »
Though many of them apparently do see the harm because they're demanding that their stuff be taken down from You Tube, and You Tube is complying. Though, of course, You Tube really has no choice in the matter because it is the copyright holder's right. Apparently the people in those fandoms aren't as lucky as we are that the holders of DS copyrights are willing to look the other way most of the time. Which brings us back to dom's original point that those people should probably enjoy such videos while they can.  ;)

People who might be unsure about copyright issues should probably check out: 10 Big Myths about copyright explained (particularly #9)