Author Topic: DS: The First Year (book)  (Read 2984 times)

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
DS: The First Year (book)
« on: January 26, 2007, 11:18:56 AM »
Has anyone ordered or received this yet?
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
Re: DS: The First Year (book)
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 02:56:07 PM »
Has anyone ordered or received this yet?

Yep, ordered it when it first became available and got it in like a week.  Haven't read it yet, but looked through it.  VERY professional looking.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 04:30:32 PM »
What book is this, may I ask?
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 04:38:38 PM »
This is the book from the fest web site, right? I am very interested in this too. I hope more detailed info will be forthcoming. "Very professional looking" is a good start, lol. I don't want something that looks photocopied etc. Quite honestly. I'm more interested in it for the pictures of which I hope there are many.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 05:06:48 PM »
This is the book from the fest web site, right? I am very interested in this too. I hope more detailed info will be forthcoming. "Very professional looking" is a good start, lol. I don't want something that looks photocopied etc. Quite honestly. I'm more interested in it for the pictures of which I hope there are many.

Yes, that's the one.  I highly reccommend it.  It gives detailed synopsis' of the pre-Barnabas eps and the photos inside are nice.  Again, I looked it over months ago and haven't had time to really delve into it, but if you're like me and want the episode synopsis', this is a good addition to the one's Kathleen Resch has done.  ;)

See image at http://www.darkshadowsfestival.com/page06.htm

Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 05:36:42 PM »
 :) I hope this means there will be a book for each year the show was on. It would make a great collection.

Alondra

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 06:14:57 PM »
I hope this means there will be a book for each year the show was on. It would make a great collection.

There already are.  This is actually a 'reprint' of a book they did before I got into fandom (pre 1990).  The others are available through Kathleen Resch (kathleener@aol.com).  Doubt the Fest will issue any other plotline books because of her books.  She has all plotlines covered except for the second half of 1897, which is a work in progress.  I highly recommend these to all fans, espeically if you write fan fiction.  They are invaluable resources of knowledge.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 11:07:43 PM »
Hm. Sounds interesting. Maybe I'll go check it out and purchase a copy of it's not too expensive.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 04:51:14 AM »
I would be interested in knowing what the episode summaries are like.  The brief episode descriptions in the "episode guide" book from Pomegranate Press are generally very good  -  I remember a couple of inaccuracies, but they are succinct and capture the most important points overall).  It would be nice to have episdoe summaries in book form that are a little more detailed.

Note to moderator - I wasn't able to enlarge the cover picture in Dom's post - when I clicked on it, the board said I needed to register in order to view it, that I didn't have permission to view it (this happened after I logged in, which, incidentally took two tries ... ).
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 05:41:36 AM »
Note to moderator - I wasn't able to enlarge the cover picture in Dom's post - when I clicked on it, the board said I needed to register in order to view it, that I didn't have permission to view it (this happened after I logged in, which, incidentally took two tries ... ).

Hi, Vlad!  Seeing you is wonderful, as always.

The error you described only comes up when attempting to download an attachment while not logged in to an account.  For some reason, your login attempts were not completed, but I don't see any errors in the log, so are you sure you clicked Login?  The login spaces at the top right of the home page do not work with most browsers, btw, but attempting to use this shortcut should bring up a second login screen.

Logged members are able to click the name of the attachment and then have the option of saving to disc or choosing the preferred program to open it.  The size in the post is the actual size of the image, so enlarging it requires software that resizes images after they are dl'd.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 08:56:21 PM »
Hi, Midnite, thanks for your message.  I'm not sure what caused the errors I was experiencing but at least I'm "in."  (I thought at first maybe my registration status had expired ...  :o).  I'm using IE because the forum looks better with it than with Mozilla.  But since last updating IE, I can no longer get into my gmail account and had to switch to Mozilla, so maybe it's an IE problem.   ???

Quote from: Midnite
The login spaces at the top right of the home page do not work with most browsers, btw, but attempting to use this shortcut should bring up a second login screen.

I think this is what happened.

Thanks for letting me know that the image is "actual size" as it appears.  After checking the www.darkshadowsfestival.com website more closely, I then realized that there probably wasn't a larger photo.

Regarding the book - if anyone is able to describe the episode summaries (length, depth, accuracy), it would be interesting to hear.  I didn't realize at first that the episode summaries were for the first year only, though (duh!).
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007, 09:08:08 PM »

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2007, 09:15:04 PM »
Thanks for letting me know that the image is "actual size" as it appears.  After checking the www.darkshadowsfestival.com website more closely, I then realized that there probably wasn't a larger photo.

Thank you for letting us know the source.

Please, don't upload copyrighted images to the Forums without written permission from the copyright holder, but if the image is available online then a link to the page containing the image is much preferred.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 01:44:20 AM »
But since last updating IE, I can no longer get into my gmail account and had to switch to Mozilla, so maybe it's an IE problem.   

I feel your pain Vlad, I 'accidentally' upgraded to IE7 at work and could no longer do the smiley's on here.  So I use Mozilla at work now.  I still have IE6 at home so view the Forums w/that at home.  I will NEVER knowingly upgrade at home.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2007, 10:52:23 AM »
This is actually a 'reprint' of a book they did before I got into fandom (pre 1990).

Buzz, are you refering to "History of Dark Shadows 1966-1967"? I believe it was published by the Fest, it covers the first year of the show, and I paid way to much for it on eBay. I've been fearing that this new one might be a retitled reprint -
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey