Author Topic: Warning re: DS 91 Series Reg. 2 UK Release  (Read 1768 times)

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Warning re: DS 91 Series Reg. 2 UK Release
« on: January 25, 2007, 08:18:28 PM »
As many of you are aware, the Region 1 release of the 91 Series is presented incorrectly, at a cropped 1.78 widescreen ratio. While HD masters exist in both the correct 1.33 TV ratio and a 1.78 ratio, Sony/MGM chose not to present them in their filming and broadcast ratio but in a faux widescreen shape, which the episodes were never designed for, by cropping the top and bottom of the frame off.

It's been my hope that when the show hits another Region, that they'll be released in the the correct ratio. The Region 2 UK DVD seems to fit the bill, as the packaging states quite clearly that they are presented at (1.33, Full-Frame).

I recently picked up the UK set, (handsomely packaged in a thicker, clear snapper case, with hinged trays within) and unfortunately, the packaging is completely incorrect. All the episodes are identical to the US release. All are presented in 1.78, with the opening and end credits of eps 2-11 shown in 1.33.

Hopefully Japan will come through when and if, it's released there.

CAVEAT EMPTOR!
D

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
Re: Warning re: DS 91 Series Reg. 2 UK Release
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 08:41:02 PM »
I recently picked up the UK set, (handsomely packaged in a thicker, clear snapper case, with hinged trays within) and unfortunately, the packaging is completely incorrect. All the episodes are identical to the US release. All are presented in 1.78, with the opening and end credits of eps 2-11 shown in 1.33.
Are the day-for-night shots also botched in the UK release as they were in the US release? I'm guessing the answer is yes.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 09:23:20 PM »
What unfortunate news.

That series seems to be under some weird sort of curse!  And now I sound like Mrs. Johnson talking to Nicholas Blair...

G.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 09:40:12 PM »
Are the day-for-night shots also botched in the UK release as they were in the US release? I'm guessing the answer is yes.

Yes, they're still incorrect here. Apart from it being PAL and Region 2, the contents are identical in everyway, even down to the only extra being the 'Kingdom Hospital' preview.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 10:49:59 PM »
Would it simply be best to get a hold of the VHS version and be done with it?
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 11:00:54 PM »
Hopefully Japan will come through when and if, it's released there.
I hate to be a party pooper, but if the UK used identical assets to the R1 version, is it not probable that any other region will do likewise.  From a financial pov does is not make more sense to use the masters that are already done rather than starting from scratch?

What materials exist of the series?  Do separate dialogue and music/effects track exist that could be used to create

And the day-for-night shots - how were they botched?

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 11:31:14 PM »
Hi Nelson.

It all depends on the local region's distributor, their standards and preferences. For example, Japanese distributors tend to have much higher standards for technical excellence and quality, and will reject several attempts by the US authors to get it right, before approving the disc master. I've worked in DVD authoring QC and can vouch for this 100%. The consumers in Japan are also much more demanding in this regard. There was a huge uproar in Japan about the color values of a popular animated film a few years ago, which even generated a lawsuit and I believe were recalled. And this, because the colors were slightly warm in a few scenes...

Masters already exist of both the 1.33 version and the 1.78 versions. They were made at the same time and were both mastered in HD, so no remastering or re-transferring would be necessary. They have to create new pressing masters and DLTs for each region, anyway, as they all have slightly different mixes of language and subtitle options, local studio and copyright warnings etc. They would have to redo the data-compression which is very costly.

The color problem is essentially this: several scenes that were shot day-for-night (ie: during the day, but with filters used and an effort to avoid shadows cast by the sun, and tweaking in the film color-timing later) and are supposed to have a somewhat dim, heavily bluish look to them, to simulate night-time sequences. The tech services department that color-timed the HD transfers, were clearly unaware of how the day-for-night sequences are supposed to look and made them look as if they occur in broad daylight, on a sunny afternoon. So, you'll have a sequence where Daphne gets up from her bed and leaves the room at night (studio filmed) and meets and is bitten by Barnabas on a nice, sunny day.

The color issues could easily be fixed by doing some tape-to-tape timing corrections. Not a very big deal.

The separate DME tracks should definitely exist at this point, if they wished to do a 5.1 remix, but that also is a huge cost.

While it's far from a certainty (whether there's even a market for the set to be released in Japan is questionable), there is a modest possibility that a release there would be corrected. At the point they'd be slated for release, once the Japanese QC departments see the 2nd episode on (with the correctly framed opening and end title sequences) and realize that the framing is incorrect, there would definitely be some back and forth discussion about how these should be presented.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 12:35:59 AM »
Thanks very much, Darren!

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 12:50:41 AM »
How do the VHS editions compare?

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 01:37:40 AM »
The VHSes are presented full frame and have the correct color timings. They're a bit bleary and indistinct as far as sharpness and color are concerned, just VHS issues.

The VHS releases of Episode one has deleted material reintegrated, and a few episodes have deleted material integrated, but I don't have a breakdown in front of me as far as which other episodes have extra footage. Not all, though. I think its 3 or 4 episodes.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 03:46:49 AM »
Sounds to me that I will be investing in the the revival VHS collection soon (as soon as I can get a hold of another VCR!)  The more I read about it, the more I am convinced Sony/MGM didn't give a bat's a** about anything but lining their pockets.  Very disappointing.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 05:08:57 AM »
Did the day for night shots air as messed up? I just happened to be watching episode 6 this evening, taking a break from house cleaning, and noticed several shots that were supposed to be night time that were quite clearly daylit. Most noticeably the Carolyn and Barnabas night scene (before the party) and the exchange between Barnabas and Victoria on the veranda during the party. I still have my VHS copies, but not a working VCR so I couldn't check.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 05:11:42 AM »
No, they all originally appeared as if they actually took place at night.