Author Topic: Wed. Slideshow  (Read 987 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Wed. Slideshow
« on: January 25, 2007, 01:15:25 AM »
The slideshow which features Laura with Frank Garner.....

I see postings that 'Love Julia' (who doesn't!!), and I've posted topics about other montages (WE LOVE YOU MB), but for some reason, I always enjoy seeing Laura.

Let's review the current women/girls on DS in this time:

Liz (sorry, but I think we all know she's T H E woman)

Carolyn (who can just look so swinging, but she's still a kid)

Victoria (it would make a good Poll topic to see how many references on here there are to Vicki's icky clothing...)

Laura is in between mature Liz and kiddyish Carolyn & Victoria.

I do not know why I find her so divine to look at, but I do think we can thread how we liken Laura to Julia (hope SOMEBODY knows what I'm talking about!)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: Wed. Slideshow
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 02:32:12 AM »
i hear you patti,

i love to see(and hear)laura too.diana millay as laura collins definitely holds a special place in my heart.

her storyline was the first d.s. storyline that i found myself mesmerized by.i had never seen anything like it.in some ways it's d.s. storytelling at it's most original.a vampire is a vampire.a witch is a witch.a werewolf is a werewolf.although the writers and actors certainly put remarkably unique twists on those time-honored tales as far as i know a pheonix who is a woman who comes back to claim her children once every 100 years is a story that has never been told before.

diana is also the cast member that for whatever reason i've had the most personal interaction with.she was chilly and stand-off-ish when i first met her but at this last year's fest she actually remembered me and was very pleasant(in that strange way only she can be if you know what i mean). ;)
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 04:17:01 AM »
I have mixed feelings about the Laura character.  It's too bad they didn't have Diana Millay play other characters.  I think she's attractive except for the mole on her face [sorry pet-peeve].  The 1968 Laura is more interesting to me because the episodes are in B&W and spookier.  She is a mystery, her manipulation of Burke and Roger is fascinating and Sam's obsession to paint her portrait also fascinates me.  I find the phoenix story in 1897 boring.  Her acting is great but the character is so-so except when she's dealing with Angelique, Barnabas and Trask [at Worthington Hall]!  Great interactions there.
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 11:21:36 PM »
I agree in thinking that the original Laura story of early '67 was a major highlight--perhaps THE highlight--of all DS.  It was incredibly well crafted, and beautifully mounted.  The one jarring note for me is the character of Dr. Guthrie; I find him far less engaging or dynamic than Professor Stokes, or, for that matter, Dr. Woodard as portrayed by Robert Gerringer.  After his initial week or so of episodes, he gets to be a bit more charismatic, but when he first shows up on the scene, the tension of the tale which has held taut up till that point suddenly falls slack, to my taste at any rate.

I do enjoy Laura's return in 1897.  When I originally watched, I had missed everything in 1967 (and the first half of 1968), so my formative impressions of Laura were from his 1897 manifestation.  I enjoyed how the writers wove in the Egyptian occult elements into the tale on that go-round.  It gave what happened a different flavor from the original narrative of 1967.  In a similar way, I thought the introduction of Angelique and their story together gave the character of the vampire Barnabas a very different tone and a much more explicitly tragic emphasis once everyone got back to 1968.

G.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 03:06:17 PM »
at this last year's fest she actually remembered me and was very pleasant(in that strange way only she can be if you know what i mean).

Yeah, my first impression of her when I first met her was that she was a, well, you know...but I got to know her better through Craig Hamrick and found that she not only was NOT what I originally thought, but really a very nice woman.  You just have to KNOW her to appreciate her I think.  It's always nice to see her at Fests and she always remembers me, says hello etc...very sweet.  I remember sitting w/her once while she was at the autograph table and she talked my ear off, mostly about her son Kylie!  ;)  I know a lot of ppl, some of them my friends, who can't stand her, but I like her.  ;)

I have mixed feelings about the Laura character.  It's too bad they didn't have Diana Millay play other characters. 

I'd heard she didn't want to play other characters, only the Phoenix.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"