Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0217  (Read 2610 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0217
« on: January 24, 2007, 06:02:36 AM »

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0217
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 03:28:50 PM »
**Post has been removed and will return tomorrow.**
Forgive me but aren't you talking about ep 218?
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 03:43:10 PM »
I wonder whose car Willie commandeered in this episode?  I am pretty sure it was made clear in previous shows that Willie did not have his own wheels...

There's something so terribly haunting about those shots of Karlen at the bedroom window, his face a mask of tortured despair, telling Barnabas from afar "I hear ya."

G.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 03:45:13 PM »
A couple of questions:

Willie has a car?

How can just an arm looked like it's drained of blood?

:)
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 05:39:44 PM »
My impressions of episode #217, again I noticed things I don't remember seeing in this episode since the first 8 videos are edited.

Willie was thrashing around on his bed, wishing the night would never come. Jason comes in, Willie asks the time, and when he learns it's not yet dusk, he feels he has a little time left. Jason wants to get the doctor but Willie refuses (does he think the doctor will know a vampire bite when he sees one?) Jason looks under the bandage (this time Willie lets him) and sees that it's just a little cut, not puncture holes like we see later on. But he observes that the arm is gray and looks as if it's been drained of blood. I wonder how he arrived at that. He wants to know how Willie got the cut, he says he got into a fight with a guy in a bar who used a razor on him (??) and the cut was deeper than it looked, therefore he lost a lot of blood. (who just carries razors around to cut people?)

Jason wanted to know why Willie left without the money, Willie says he just had to get away. It was strange that Jason said he was going to the drawing room to get the money from Liz and Willie couldn't wait that long for it.

Downstairs Carolyn explains to Vicki that Willie is back and he's very sick. Vicki is uncomfortable with him being there but since he's sick they feel he won't try to hurt them. Carolyn explains that Willie seems like a different person, he's quiet and passive, as if he'd been beaten badly. Jason comes down and explains about Willie suffering from blood loss. Carolyn asks if maybe he's faking, Jason assures her he is not faking, but he refuses to have a doctor. He says if Willie gets worse he will get a doctor whether Willie wants one or not. He asks Vicki to go ask Mrs. Johnson to prepare a tray for Willie and she leaves to do so, then Carolyn asks Jason where Willie had been. Jason said that Willie had refused to tell him. Carolyn asks what he'd meant the other night when he said Carolyn's questions would get her mother in trouble. He wouldn't answer, just said he was her mother's protector (HA!) He's her friend, he wants to be Carolyn's friend as well since she's a lovely girl (I did not like the sound of this at all!) Carolyn bluntly tells him she knows her mother's trouble is because of him and she wishes he'd never came or brought Willie. She walks out and Jason looks ticked.

Willie is still thrashing on his bed upstairs and begging for the night not to come "Oh please, it can't get dark again, I'm scared!" (Poor sweetie...) Vicki brings the tray in and puts it down, Willie asks what time it is, is it dark? It is still not quite dark. Willie thinks he has a little time so he gets up and puts his jacket on, but Jason comes in and tells him he's sick, he's not going anywhere, he removes Willie's jacket and orders him back to bed. Willie says he has to leave this house, no one wants him there. Willie claims he wants to sleep and then pretends to be asleep. Jason says he's gonna take care of Willie whether Willie wants him to or not! Then he leaves and Willie gets up again. He looks out the window and sees it's full dark now. He hears the heartbeat. He nods in resignation. "I hear ya, I'm comin'..." He stumbles down the stairs and nearly falls, but as he is making his way out the door Jason sees him and tries to stop him. Willie says again that he must get out of the house. Jason says nothing doing and forces him back inside. Willie pretends to comply but as they reach the base of the stairs he pushes Jason aside and escapes. We hear the sound of a car driving away. This confused me since I didn't know Jason and Willie had vehicles. If they did, they only had one, so when Jason followed him, he must have driven another car, he couldn't have followed Willie on foot. I am assuming that Jason must've forced Liz to buy both him and Willie vehicles, either this or Jason "borrowed" someone else's car.

Willie goes to the mausoleum, and lets himself in, then goes into the secret room. We do not see Barnabas who has to be in there waiting for him. Jason searches around the graveyard and then enters the first room of the mausoleum, but finds nothing and leaves.

The camera focuses on the secret room from which we hear the heartbeat.

Poor Willie, he's in there servicing his master, probably with his wrist again or receiving orders about a calf. Incredible acting by JK here, the fear is palpable! These scenes seem so real, I have to remind myself this isn't really happening.

Alondra :)

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 05:54:47 PM »
Forgive me but aren't you talking about ep 218?

Oh, bother. I am watching a very old VHS tape where the episodes run together. Drat! Drat! Drat!
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 08:04:41 PM »
This is definitely JK/Willie's episode.  Willie's entire body quivers with fear at the thought of nightfall.  Now Carolyn has sympathy for him, soon to follow will be Vicki.  I'm surprised by Jason's genuine concern for his friend and how he tells Carolyn the truth about Willie's condition.  No reason to lie but it's unusual to hear the truth coming for Jason's lips.

Jason follows Willie to the cemetery.  The suspense is great, thinking Jason may catch up with Willie and see him go into the secret room.  I kept asking myself "why did Barnabas have to have Willie come "to" him when the vamp knows how to get out of the secret room?  Was he too weak to get out until he had Willie's blood?  Never happens again.

What's with the description of the marks on Willie's wrist?  Are they two holes or a cut?  Maybe during the healing, the two holes now look more like one mark.  I imagine when the blood is removed from the veins, the skin would look grayish or bluish.  But I also would think Willie wouldn't have much movement or able to use the arm.

AND that moment when Willie was at the window, looking at the night, hearing "him" calling.  "I hear ya callin' me."  Spooky.
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 08:45:22 PM »
I think that they had the opening picture of Collinwood backwards today.  I've never looked at the actual real-life house, so I don't know which way is backwards and which way is forwards.   But the picture in the DVD menu has Collinwood the other way around from today's opening picture, and I am rashly assuming that MPI would get it right for the menu.  Anyway, it occurred to me that if a right-way Collinwood at the beginning of the show is a dash and a backwards Collinwood is a dot, then the 1225 episodes could spell out something in Morse code, and we would have an answer to the ever-debated question as to exactly why Dark Shadows was cancelled:  the aliens had finished sending their message.

They forgot to throw in the squeaky sound effect when the mausoleum door was opened and closed.  Or maybe they thought squeaks would detract from the general spookiness.  Either way, I sure wasn't complaining.

Other than that, I can't think of anything to say about this episode that I haven't said before:  Love Willie.  Love John Karlen.  And I wish I knew exactly what went on in Jason McGuire's head.  But if I knew, then Jason wouldn't be Jason - or else I wouldn't be myself.

CT!_CTP/FITBs

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 05:33:11 AM »
Be sure to check out these (hopefully  ;)) humorous topics related to this episode:

From "Caption This!":

From "Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s)":
(none yet)

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 09:30:20 AM »
So now we see the first victim being summoned by Barnabas.  (Poor Willie!)  [cryg] Wonderful performance again by JK.  He should have won an emmy.  I'm glad that he got recognition for his superb acting by receiving an emmy for  "Cagney and Lacey" in 1986.  He deserved it.    [bigok]

Seeing these episodes again confirms JK as my SECOND favorite actor on DS.  Of course, DS (David Selby), my dear Quentin, is my FAVORITE DS actor!  [cheesyg] JF (Barnabas) is my THIRD favorite DS actor now.

When I was a kid, JF/Barnabnas was my favorite until DS/Quentin came along, and JK/Willie was third.  Now I see the error of my ways.  [winkg]

----- Sally -----

[coolg]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 02:15:24 PM »
Quentin was my first crush when I was a kid. Took me a long time to appreciate Willie but when I fell for him I fell hard. Forgot all about Quentin for a couple years and then my crush on him returned. Now I have a crush on both of them and it's so much fun. Don't think I'll ever have a crush on Barnabas though, I'm one of those who can't see his attraction. I think Frid is a great actor though, and I have mixed feelings about Barnabas on the show. I hate and despise early Barnabas but come to like him later on as he changes and becomes a good person. There are some scenes with him that I really love but as for having a crush on him, I doubt it'll ever happen.

I sure am enjoying watching this early storyline again, especially sweet Willie.

Alondra :)

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 02:32:37 PM »
EmeraldRose - I have the same top three favorites, but the order is different - Barnabas is first, Willie is second, and Quentin is third.

I've been watching these episodes to catch up with this, and one of the many, many reasons (there are so many) why I love this part of the show is that it features a lot of Willie. And I always want to see more of Willie.

The scenes between Jason and Willie are great. It's surprising that there are moments when Jason seems to actually care that Willie's 'ill'.

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 03:04:29 PM »
That surprises me too, but maybe it's because we have the idea that a man like Jason is all bad, he's a scheming blackmailer and a thief. But that doesn't mean he can't care about his friend. I think he does care about Willie.

Alondra

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2007, 10:11:03 AM »
I watched this ep tonight.  Sorry for being late to the party.

I think that they had the opening picture of Collinwood backwards today.  I've never looked at the actual real-life house, so I don't know which way is backwards and which way is forwards.

Oh, you're right.  The slide was in backwards.

A couple of questions:

Willie has a car?

The family leaves their cars on the circular drive with the keys inside?  It looks as if Jason came up empty handed after searching his coat pockets, yet he ran out the door and was able to follow Willie in another car.

How can just an arm looked like it's drained of blood?

The bluish skin and collapsed veins that Jason described are seen in heroin addicts that continually abuse the same veins.  Which I suppose could also result from a vampire trying to make up for a 175-year withdrawal by vigorously chomping on a wrist and continuing to bite into it daily.  Er, nightly.  But, hours later, for Jason to say that the arm looked drained of blood-- it makes for a nice dramatic effect, but it's lame.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2007, 10:38:54 AM »
The family leaves their cars on the circular drive with the keys inside?  It looks as if Jason came up empty handed after searching his coat pockets, yet he ran out the door and was able to follow Willie in another car.
The idea of leaving keys in the car in the 60s doesn't sound too far out of line to me.  I grew up in a suburb of Boston, and my mother frequently left her purse in the car, with the keys in it.  It sounds very inconvenient to me.  I now live in another suburb of Boston, and I always lock my car and bring the keys into the house with me.  This is probably due not to times changing, but rather to a habit left over from living in Cambridge for 20 years.