Author Topic: 1968  (Read 17560 times)

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
Re: 1968
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2007, 02:40:48 AM »
Strange, I started with Dr Who fandom twenty years ago.

When I first started to be able to say I did this or that "twenty years ago", it was kind of cool.  Now.... not so much.

It gets even weirder when you hit "thirty years ago" when you speak of your experiences in Fandom.  Take it from one who can scare herself remembering that she had her first fanfiction published in a Trek zine in 1975, and first went to  - and worked --  a Trekcon in 1977.     [a2a3] [peepwall]

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2007, 02:57:51 AM »
It gets even weirder when you hit "thirty years ago" when you speak of your experiences in Fandom.  Take it from one who can scare herself remembering that she had her first fanfiction published in a Trek zine in 1975, and first went to  - and worked --  a Trekcon in 1977.     [a2a3] [peepwall]

I started a high school Trek club in 1975.    I made a couple friends and we didn't get beyond four members.  I've never been in any Trek club very long, maybe because they just weren't much fun.  The Dr Who fans are a bit looser and funnier, while still appreciating the serious side.    I say that even though the original Trek is probably my favorite series, especially year one.     My favorite fandom now is DS, followed by Dr Who.

I've never been to a Trek convention.  I heard bad things about Creation cons.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2007, 06:33:16 PM »
I've never been to a Trek convention.  I heard bad things about Creation cons.
Only been to a couple of Creation Cons, not bad, but very business-like. and a bit sterile
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2007, 06:36:47 PM »
I have had Josette's music box theme in my head for days since I did marathon of the DS Dream Curse!  It's driving me MAD!!!! MAD, I tell you!!!!  Ahhh, hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2007, 08:05:36 PM »
I have had Josette's music box theme in my head for days since I did marathon of the DS Dream Curse!  It's driving me MAD!!!! MAD, I tell you!!!!  Ahhh, hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

ROTFLMAOPIMP Nelson!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2007, 11:06:41 PM »
Only been to a couple of Creation Cons, not bad, but very business-like. and a bit sterile

The fan-run cons are probably the only worthwhile ones.    There's a chance of room parties at those, too.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2007, 06:20:57 PM »
[spoiler]The scene where Nicholas first asks Maggie to marry him...[/spoiler]

... I actually spoke aloud, "No, Maggie!  Don't let him see you in those quilted pant things!!!

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2007, 06:25:22 PM »
Call me crazy but does Harry Johnson remind anyone else of Willow Rosenberg?  With the red hair and shape of his face and mouth I keep getting reminded of my other favorite witch....

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2007, 07:10:28 PM »
Not in the slightest, Nelson. Not even a LITTLE bit. NO WAY!

Where Willow is cute and cuddly, Harry is ugly and abrasive.

Where Willow is smart and charming, Harry is idiotic and dry.

Need I continue?
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2007, 08:50:34 PM »
Has anyone yet fathom what was the point of the Harry Johnson character at all?

It's still a mystery to me.... [idontknow]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2007, 11:15:00 PM »
I think they just had the actor as a "left-over" from the 1795/96 storyline and weren't sure what to do with him.  When they couldn't get any real use out of the character, they simply dumped him.

Gerard

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2007, 11:46:17 PM »
Has anyone yet fathom what was the point of the Harry Johnson character at all?

Um, so we could snicker at the name HARRY JOHNSON!?   >:D
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2007, 11:57:47 PM »
Well, he sort of fulfilled a function during the Adam storyline. Too, I believe there was a germ of an idea for a storyline for him. However, it fell by the wayside when things took a different turn. JMO, of course!

I don't know, though, who was worse! The Harry Johnson/Noah Gifford actor or the second Harry whose sole purpose was to [spoiler]bring his mother lightbulbs down to the cottage during the beginning of the Quentin-intro storline.[/spoiler] both were positively dreadful actors!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2007, 12:04:10 AM »
Call me crazy but does Harry Johnson remind anyone else of Willow Rosenberg?

He speaks like Ray Bolger.  And I think the name at least may have been a completely intentional joke.

More from notes:

VW and Maggie sitting discussing man probs with Joe and Jeff... I just pictured them both pausing then Vicki says, "Wanna be lesbians?"  M: "Okay."   Then they're never heard from again.

Kidnapping Maggie to "save" her... it's as if Willie thinks, "What way can I try to solve a serious problem, fail, and appear as nutty as humanly possible and incriminate myself beryond any and all hope?"   AFTER I wrote that in the notebook, I saw Willie take M to the mausoleum!

Just as Maggie saw the casket and screamed, I pictured Willie saying, "I'm only tryin' ta help!"

I have to check to make sure I didn't post this already.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2007, 12:30:45 AM »
Any negative thoughts I express here do not in any way indicate lack of appreciation for the gift of all the tapes.  I'm in the grips of it all despite the occasional pothole.

BC says he has no intention of letting Adam run amok at Collinwood, goes and gets this big old rifle and stands there obviously meaning business... then Juila asks, "Barnabas, what are you going to do?!"   I'm going to challenge him to a game of pinochle, Julia!!  What does it look like?!

The very bad stretch of writing around this time, possibly the worst I've seen on DS, doesn't seem attributable to any writer.   Same old names.   It's picked up now fortunately, but these are older notes.

Good scene with Maggie staring down Willie in the crypt.  She summons up wisdom and courage there, and is obviously absolutely right, yet wrong in the context of the show.   BC can't be turned in.  Overall, the very cool transition I was looking forward to of Barnabas from dark to light didn't happen.   It was all a cheat.    Willie in particular views B as a benefactor and saint to be protected at all costs, for no apparent reason.

Thayer David, when he's been walking and has to stop, needs to teeter back and forth sideways before achieving stability and coming to a full stop.  I associate that instinctively with Petofi, but it's just TDs build I guess.

BC becoming human was a glorious opportunity wasted.    His first healthy entry into Collinwood should have been as affecting as his first in 1967.   His new life should have been a wellspring of compelling scenes and moments.    It should have been part of what DS was about for awhile.  Instead, it's back into a dark cellar for Barnabas, tending equipment.

Why kill Eve?  And a middle-aged rich guy with a syringe as an assassin?   Everybody at the Old House sort of lost their minds at this point.

I cannot believe Jeff's aimless babbling about V forgiving him for no reason worked.

Does Eve have the Petofi box in her bedroom?

I have more but I owe eyes and brain a favor and will knock off for now.