Author Topic: More 1795 questions.  (Read 1576 times)

Offline TNickey2003

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
More 1795 questions.
« on: January 10, 2007, 01:22:05 AM »
Why didn't Barnabas ever tell Julia Hoffman about the origins of his vampire curse while she was attempting to cure him (i.e., during the 1967 storyline)?  And why didn't Angelique appear and try to stop Julia's efforts? Was he fearful of consequence that might result if he disclosed Angelique as the source of his vampire curse?

If Barnabas in 1795 discovered that Angelique was responsible for the spell that caused Jeremiah and Josette to elope and get married,  why did he still harbor hatred toward Jeremiah (i.e., during the 1967 storyline) for acts he was not responsible for?

If Josette was buried in her wedding gown in 1795 ( as we see when Barnabas raises Josette from the grave, only to see her horribly disfigured face ), then how  would Barnabas in the present have had the gown in his possession when he was trying to turn Maggie Evans into Josette? I doubt if he would have dug up Josette's grave and stripped her of her wedding gown.

If Sarah Collins was eleven years old when she died ( of course the age difference between her and her brother is one of DS' s unsolved questions) ,  how could Phyllis Wick have been on her way to become governness of the NINE year old Sarah?

Shortly (a few days?) before Josette's death,  Nathan and Millicent are setting their wedding day "one month from today" March 2, 1796.  How could Josette's death be recorded as being in 1795>
Alex adores Maggie Evans

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Re: More 1795 questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 06:33:34 AM »
Let's take your questions one at a time, paragraph by paragraph. I would quote you here, but since updating my IE stuff, everythings been screwy.

1. Barnabas never told Julia about his vampire curse origins because he likely didn't trust her enough. Sure, he was recieving injections from her, which needed a certain level of trust, but hey, does a guy have to reveal all 200 years of his past? I mean, if that were so he would've told her about going back to 1897, and 1840! Of course, the real reason that explains the entire question is that the writers hadn't worked out the 1795 story yet, and they knew it was coming up and they didn't want to spoil it. And Angelique didn't appear and stop Julia because LP hadn't been cast yet.

2. This is best explained with the followed: Barnabas' continued hatred towards Jeremiah is because he felt betrayed. It's the same thing as someone hating God for taking a loved one from them--it was predestined, and not Gods fault of course, but you need someone to hate. Perhaps Barnabas' hatred for Angelique spilled over to Jeremiah. Or hey, maybe he just thought Jeremiah's loved for Barnabas should've been enough to allow him to break free of Angelique spell. Besides if Barn hadn't of killed Jeremiah, Josette wouldn't have hated him and refused to see him. Perhaps it was yet another facet of Angelique's plan.

3. Maybe he had a duplicate gown? Or maybe Josette had one gown made but it was too busty and needed to be taken in, but instead of altering the first gown she demanded (or  her Aunt Natalie or father demanded) that an entirely new gown be made? Though, the thought of Barnabas digging up Josette and taking her gown...that's quite funny. "Give it back to me! You've betrayed me!"

4. The last two paragraphs can best be explained by this: The writers didn't keep accurate notes. Maybe it's safe to say that little Sarah was daytimes first radically aged child? And you know Millicent, she's dumber than a box of rocks, so you expect her to get the date right? Maybe she forgot about January and February. And Nathan wouldn't say a thing about it--he'd fear that he'd upset her too much.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 07:20:13 AM »
Brandon, I like your explanations and I'll add that there were many inconsistencies in the earlier days of DS and later on too.  ::)  I guess we could say there were always inconsistencies throughout because the writers wrote one-two weeks in advance and that's it.  They didn't remember details like fans so many DS fans wrote their own stories to explain these inconsistencies.  Since they were planning to kill Barnabas, they didn't think of bringing in any explanations until his popularity hit the roof.
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 07:29:50 AM »
If Sarah Collins was eleven years old when she died ( of course the age difference between her and her brother is one of DS' s unsolved questions) ,  how could Phyllis Wick have been on her way to become governness of the NINE year old Sarah?
If Sarah had a birthday between the time when Phyllis Wick was hired and the date when she actually arrived, that would eliminate one year of the two-year discrepancy, and the other year might be attributed to carelessness.  Miss Wick looked addlepated to me.

The age difference between Barnabas and Sarah has never bothered me.  I've always assumed a few siblings in between them who never made it past infancy.

Shortly (a few days?) before Josette's death,  Nathan and Millicent are setting their wedding day "one month from today" March 2, 1796.  How could Josette's death be recorded as being in 1795>

Perhaps the Collinses in the 1790s (either because they were unbelievably old-fashioned, or else because they lived in the boonies) were still on the old calendar, which had the new year start on March 1, so that the two months after December 1795 would be January 1795 and February 1795, and then you'd have March 1796.   As far as I can remember, England switched over from the old calendar to the new calendar in September 1754 (one of the beguiling things about Unix is that you can find the point in its calendar where 9 days got skipped, but I don't have access to Unix at the moment)  but I daresay that Abigail thought the new calendar was the devil's work.

Offline FireRose

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 08:43:41 AM »
Barnabas never told Julia about his vampire curse origins because he likely didn't trust her enough. Sure, he was recieving injections from her, which needed a certain level of trust, but hey, does a guy have to reveal all 200 years of his past? I mean, if that were so he would've told her about going back to 1897, and 1840!

Now there was the one time when Barnabas took Julia to Widows Hill that he told her something about his past... Although later it was proven to not be the truth when they went to 1795.

[spoiler]Originally what Barnabas told Julia was the day that Josette was to arrive by ship. Barnabas didn't want to go to the shipyard to meet his middle age uncle's new bride, but  he went anyway, or was forced into going,  and from the first moment that Barnabas saw Josette he fell in love with her. But Josette loved his uncle Jeremiah, but as time passed Jeremiah began to grow older and basically Josette began to fear growing old.  So Barnabas decided to do somethiong about it.[/spoiler]

Which brings up this point...

It was implied in the version told to Julia, that Barnabas became a vampire of his own free will to be with Josette.

That was the impression I got anyway.

FireRose

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 09:21:13 AM »
It was implied in the version told to Julia, that Barnabas became a vampire of his own free will to be with Josette.
Yes, it was.  Much easier on his ego than telling Julia, "I didn't want to become a vampire, but the wife insisted."

The original question suggested to me the idea of Julia taking Barnabas's medical history.  "Were either of your parents vampires?  And if so, at what age were they diagnosed as being vampires?"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 03:28:01 PM »
Much easier on his ego than telling Julia, "I didn't want to become a vampire, but the wife insisted."

The original question suggested to me the idea of Julia taking Barnabas's medical history.  "Were either of your parents vampires?  And if so, at what age were they diagnosed as being vampires?"

LOL Lydia!   [laughing4] [stfl]
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 05:35:56 PM »
What always killed me was, shortly after Barnabas was resurrected by Willie and appeared at Collinwood as their English "cousin," there was a scene with him, Carolyn and Vicki. A storm was raging, and the power was out at Collinwood. The girls were alone. Barnabas scared the bejeebers out of them by appearing at the drawing room doors. Of course, they were relieved to see it was just Barnabas when he walked in. He then proceeded to tell them the "story" of Josette Collins -- how she had come to Collinsport from Martinique as the bride of Jerimiah (that's the way they spelled it -- don't ask me why). However, as the years passed, she realized she was married to an "old man," while she was still a young, vital woman. She took a younger lover, whom we are to presume was Barnabas. At some point, she couldn't deal with her life, and, pursued by her lover, ran to Widow's Hill and leapt to her death.

It was wonderfully told by Frid, with that amazing voice of his, and the scene was quite Gothic, black and white, storm raging -- I loved it! Of course, shortly thereafter, the story changed, which drove me crazy! While I then came to love the 1795 story, I always remembered the earlier version.

I'm sure the writers were up against it when they had to turn Barnabas from the evil vampire to be destroyed into the hero. Thus, there were a lot of inconsistencies. And, let's not forget, writers changed almost daily. There was a pool of writers who were rotated. So, it had to be a challenge if one writer wrote a script for one day and another had to write the script for the following day. You could even see that in the openers for the show. They weren't always the same -- similar enough -- but not exactly the same.