Author Topic: ??  (Read 1757 times)

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
??
« on: December 28, 2006, 02:48:51 AM »
Everytime I try to post in the last 4 or 5 hours, I get the message: Error: Last post from your IP was less than 120 seconds ago-try again later." I have not posted in several hours-why is this message coming up and what does it mean?[It's very frustrating! Help, please? Thanks.] [santa_sad] [santa_huh] [santa_cry]
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: ??
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 02:52:20 PM »
There are a few topics on this board dealing with the 120 second posting rule, but if you check out these two, hopefully they'll help to explain things for you.  [santa_smiley]

Re: The 120 second Rule:
remember that if anyone happens to try to post something before the initial 120 seconds completely elapses, the system begins counting another full 120 seconds all over again. Meaning that if, say, someone's last post was at 08:00:00, they should really wait until 08:02:01 to post again. But if they tried to submit another post after only 119 seconds had elapsed at 08:01:59, the 120 second count would start all over again, meaning they should really wait until after the second full 120 seconds had elapsed by 08:04:00 to post again. Repeated attempts to try to post before the full 120 seconds actually elapses could stretch the wait between posts out for who knows how long?

This caught at least a few people by surprise, myself included, so I probably should explain that the 120 second limit on posting (which was put in place to prevent spewing [repeatedly submitting posts in rapid succession] on the forums) now includes any combination of posting and personal messaging.  In other words, after you send a PM you're required to wait 120 seconds before you can submit a post or send another PM...

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 09:19:53 PM »
I could understand that, and I see where it came up when I tried to repost too soon after the first message--butthe message came up the first time when I had not posted in several hours--and it happened 2x. That is what I found confusing. At any rate it seems to be ok today, so I won't worry about it any more. Thanks for the explanation. [santa_smiley]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 09:36:08 PM »
I could understand that, and I see where it came up when I tried to repost too soon after the first message--butthe message came up the first time when I had not posted in several hours--and it happened 2x. That is what I found confusing.

Clicking Login, Post or Send will start the feature.  My guess is that you tried to submit a post within 120 secs of logging in to the Forums.

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 10:13:13 PM »
I could understand that, and I see where it came up when I tried to repost too soon after the first message--butthe message came up the first time when I had not posted in several hours--and it happened 2x. That is what I found confusing. At any rate it seems to be ok today, so I won't worry about it any more. Thanks for the explanation. [santa_smiley]
I had the same situation recently, I just logged in, was in about a minute or so, but less than two minutes, and got the "your last post was less than 120 seconds", which I also though odd. So, its not just rainingwolf who has experienced this.

Michael  [ski]

Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 10:30:19 PM »
I had the same situation recently, I just logged in, was in about a minute or so, but less than two minutes, and got the "your last post was less than 120 seconds", which I also though odd. So, its not just rainingwolf who has experienced this.

No, it's the way the feature is written. I suppose the SMF developers want to prevent potential spewing from the moment anyone first accesses the forum because, if guest posting was allowed, it will also happen to any guest who tried to post within 120 seconds of first arriving.

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 12:32:16 AM »
Clicking Login, Post or Send will start the feature.  My guess is that you tried to submit a post within 120 secs of logging in to the Forums.

Aha! Yes, that must be it...so next time I will just think slower before keying in a response! Thanks! [santa_wink]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 01:12:53 PM »
At the speed I think there should be no problem....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor