Author Topic: OT--Joan Bennet in "Little Women"  (Read 1175 times)

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
OT--Joan Bennet in "Little Women"
« on: May 02, 2002, 04:45:06 AM »
On Sunday May 5th at 7:00 AM  CST Turner Classic Movies is showing

"Little Women" starring Joan Bennett[/size][/color]

This is the 1933 version with Katherine Hepburn as Jo March.  Joan Bennett plays spoiled Amy March.  I think this is the best version of "Little Women".  Check this out if you want to see Joan Bennett in an early movie role.     MM
MM

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
Re: OT--Joan Bennet in "Little Women"
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2002, 05:00:07 AM »

This is the 1933 version with Katherine Hepburn as Jo March.  Joan Bennett plays spoiled Amy March.  I think this is the best version of "Little Women".  Check this out if you want to see Joan Bennett in an early movie role.     MM

I thought the recent remake,  which featured Winona Ryder (sp?) and the made for TV 1980's  one with Susan Dey,  Greer Garson, Dorothy McGuire, and Robert Young were also quite good.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2002, 05:21:46 AM »
On Sunday May 5th at 7:00 AM  CST Turner Classic Movies is showing

"Little Women" starring Joan Bennett[/size][/color]

This is the 1933 version with Katherine Hepburn as Jo March.  Joan Bennett plays spoiled Amy March.  I think this is the best version of "Little Women".  Check this out if you want to see Joan Bennett in an early movie role.

I would agree with you about this being the best version of "Little Women."  Successive versions really strayed from the book (Marmee as a feminist) or had bizarre casting (anyone remember William Shatner as Professor Baer?)  Plus, this version has Katharine Hepburn as Jo  :D

Little anecdote about this particular version--Bennett was pregnant during the filming.  She didn't reveal this until they started filming.  The director, George Cukor, dealt with this by starting out filming Bennett in long shots and then as production kept going and as she got more visibly pregnant, giving her more and more closeups.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Donna

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2002, 04:13:37 AM »
LITTLE WOMEN WAS WRITTEN BY LOUISA MAE ALCOTT

My past husband was related to her......she was something like his great, great, great great grandmother oh his dad's side.  He was also related to the Adams, John Adams and John Quiency Adams. My son carries the Alcott name.
"The hardest act to follow is yourself."  Sir Paul McCartney  :-*

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2002, 04:30:42 AM »

I would agree with you about this being the best version of "Little Women."  Successive versions really strayed from the book (Marmee as a feminist) or had bizarre casting (anyone remember William Shatner as Professor Baer?)  Plus, this version has Katharine Hepburn as Jo  :D

Little anecdote about this particular version--Bennett was pregnant during the filming.  She didn't reveal this until they started filming.  The director, George Cukor, dealt with this by starting out filming Bennett in long shots and then as production kept going and as she got more visibly pregnant, giving her more and more closeups.

Luciaphil

did catch it today She was so cute in it!
i'll have to watch it again to notice it Luciaphil
still my favorite version!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2002, 04:55:36 AM »
I was watching it too this morning, until the yard work called me away.  I loved the movie and the story.  The weekends fly by.  The trip to N.J. did a job on this weekend.  

Another Monday--sob no DS to look forward too

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth