Author Topic: A Possible Dark Shadows/The Enchanted Cottage Parallel  (Read 835 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
A Possible Dark Shadows/The Enchanted Cottage Parallel
« on: December 23, 2006, 03:00:31 PM »
Hey gang,

I happened to watch the 1945 film, "The Enchanted Cottage," on Turner Classic Movie recently.  In the film, the lovely Dorothy McGuire (uncharacteristically) plays a rather plain young woman named Laura Pennington, a woman who comes to work in a home located in New England.  In fact, the name of the town (or estate) in which she is employed is called "Eastwood" (sort of like Dark Shadows' own Collinwood).

Laura's employer is a stern, practical woman named Mrs. Minnet (sp?), who, as portrayed by veteran character actress Mildred Natwick, looks and sounds a heck of a lot like Mrs. Johnson.

In the film, young Laura falls in love with a returning wounded war veteran, portrayed by Robert Young.  As I saw Ms. McGuire and Mr. Young walking along the rocky shoreline of that unnamed New England state (possibly Maine), I could not not help but think that that scene reminded me of seeing  Barnabas and Vicki walking along the rocky cliff at Widow's Hill.

I wonder if Dark Shadows creator Dan Curtis may have been inspired to create the great Gothic soap opera after seeing Dorothy McGuire and Robert Young in this almost ethereal romantic film classic?

Anyway, Merry Christmamas and Happy Hanukkah to all of my fellow cousins across the vast and wide super information highway! [ChristmaS0] [Chanukah8]

Bob the Bartender [8_2_73]

MrsMcGuire

Re: A Possible Dark Shadows/The Enchanted Cottage Parallel
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 04:13:47 PM »
The parallel between the two never occurred to me before. That's an interesting idea, though. It's been a couple years since I last saw the film but I recorded it when it was on this week, so, when I watch it later, I'll be looking out for those similarities.

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
Re: A Possible Dark Shadows/The Enchanted Cottage Parallel
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 10:44:56 PM »
I've always loved this film!  Cher was planning to do a remake a few years ago, but I can easily see it being done with the Robert Young character as a scarred Iraq veteran played by Jake Gyllenhaal or George Clooney.  As for the downtrodden servant girl- who would play her?  Perhaps Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman, or Kate Hudson.  Why the original isn't on DVD is beyond me!