Author Topic: Goodbye to DS on Broadcast TV in 2009?  (Read 4989 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Goodbye to DS on Broadcast TV in 2009?
« on: November 27, 2006, 03:47:56 PM »
Greetings, fans,

I've read that the US government has passed legislation requiring all broadcasts in the US to switch over to "HD" standard by 2009.  Given something Darren wrote a couple of weeks ago about the basic requirement for content broadcast in HD, I'm wondering whether this means that old shows that were done on tape will no longer be able to be transmitted because of the low grade of their video bands.  I can't recall the numbers but I have read that old video is WAY below the acceptable numbers for HD.

If this is true, I am presuming that as of 2009, there will no longer be any prospect of DS broadcasts on ANY channels in the US.  I am quite curious as to what the results of this shift will be.  I always said that if you took television away from the American people, revolution will result.  As of 2009, from what I can understand, non HD sets will no longer be able to receive any signal whatsoever, which will cut out a sizable chunk of the US population that either can't afford to purchase HD equipment or refuses to do so for whatever reason.

cheers, Gothick

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Re: Goodbye to DS on Broadcast TV in 2009?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 03:53:05 PM »
I would think (though I could be wrong) there will be something in place to make it possible for low grade video to be transferred into an acceptable format for HD TV. There is too much at stake money wise to not have something in place.  I hope so anyway.

Nancy

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 04:52:58 AM »
OH I HATE it when the government tries to fool with TV. HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT! I can't say it enough. The day we let them control our boxes is the day that TV starts TO SUCK.

So, if the gov't wants everyone to upgrade to HD formats for everything, they better start shelling out the bucks to make them less expensive, or make a cheaper brand or something. More than likely by 09 HD stuff will be less expensive than it was. Kind of like VCRs---years ago they costed hundreds and even thousands of dollars, where as now you can get one for $50 or $25. Let's hope that HD speeds up that process.

Oh yea, I'd hate to see the prospect of DS never coming back on.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 07:23:15 AM »
Wait I'm confused, what does the government have to do with what kind of TV you own or what quality TV is broadcast at?  ???

David

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 07:45:42 AM »
I"m not sure the outdated FCC has jurisdiction over channels like Soapnet or TV Land, just local broadcast channels & the major networks.

David

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 03:53:37 PM »
I"m not sure the outdated FCC has jurisdiction over channels like Soapnet or TV Land, just local broadcast channels & the major networks.

Believe me, they do.  That's why I call them the TV Nazi's! 
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

David

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 06:54:34 PM »
Quote from: Buzz
Believe me, they do. That's why I call them the TV Nazi's!

sorry to hear this, Buzz.
Considering what's going on in the world these days, why would the govt waste their time with nonsense like this?
I don't need DS in HD,the show is fine as is!

David

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 07:20:50 PM »
considering what's going on in the world these days, why would the govt waste their time with nonsense like this?  I don't need DS in HD,the show is fine as is!

Hey, preaching to the choir on this one.
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 08:52:06 PM »
As long as I have my DS DVD's, I am a happy camper because I can still watch them whenever I want and not on a "regular time" schedule sort of thing. I hear what you're saying though. You would think the goverment would have better things to do than interfere with television programming.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 09:42:29 PM »

Believe me, they do.  That's why I call them the TV Nazi's! 

Really? Is that so? I haven't heard that, in all seriousness. I was under the impression that the FCC had the most control over the four major networks-- NBC, ABC, FOX, CBS, and even  The CW, but that they didn't have as much control over cable channels like FX, and especially not HBO. Maybe I should check out their site.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 12:21:35 AM »
You would think the goverment would have better things to do than interfere with television programming.

I wouldn't, and neither would they.    Business is what everything comes down to, especially with a Republican government.  We'll see if this HD thing changes when the new Congress takes over.

We're always being manoevered by corporations into having to buy more and more sophisticated devices, and they seem to always want to shut out and ignore the bottom end of the market who will never be able to afford them.     They always try to tailor the economy for those who can spend more and more, including people who really can't afford it, and use credit to do it.     Living beyond our means drives the economy.    Making it impossible to watch non-HD signals makes that happen.

It never really works.   They can invalidate and ignore the poor, and hope they go away, but they'll always be a very large market, as long as they're dealt with realistically, which can't be ignored---as long as business doesn't try to sell HDTV to them.  Unfortunately the vices of the poor are marketed to, mostly... malt liquor, cigarettes, Red Bull, etc..-- the things that distract you from desperate circumstances.   Oh, illegal drugs too.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 08:34:14 PM »
I've read that the US government has passed legislation requiring all broadcasts in the US to switch over to "HD" standard by 2009. 

Okay cousins, spoke to a reporter who's beat is the televison (electronics side)/electronics industry who works where I used to work as a marketing assistant (about 100 years ago).  Below is the 'skinny' on the changeover.  As you'll see, thankfully, it's not as bad as some of us (me for sure) thought.  We won't have to get HD TVs, as Gothick had thought, just ones that are digital which I'm pretty sure covers both my TV's and I daresay most of everyone else's here.  ;)  But, for those who don't have a digital TV, read on!  Also, the question of what does the FCC have power over is also answered and as I suspected, they indeed ARE the TV Nazi's!   ::)
================================
You are correct that the govt. enacted legislation establishing a "hard" cutoff date of the analog terrestrial broadcast service on Feb. 18, 2009.  It means current TV sets that rely exclusively on an over-the-air analog signal will go dark on that date.  The mandated changeover in fact is to digital from analog, not necessarily HD, as not all digital TV sets will decode HD and not to the maximum resolution possible ("1080p") using today's technology.

To protect one's analog set from going dark, there will be several available remedies:  (1) Subscribe to cable or satellite;  (2) Buy a TV set with a built-in digital ("ATSC") tuner.  As of March 1, 2007, under FCC mandate, all TV sets shipped from the factory with a built-in analog ("NTSC") tuner must also include a digital ATSC tuner.  (3) Buy a set-top DTV converter box, once they become available.

On the 3rd point, the law enacting the hard cutoff also provided for establishment of a program under which the govt. will mail $40 coupons to households that request them.  The coupons then can be taken to retail and redeemed within 90 days toward purchase of an eligible  DTV converter box through an eligible retailer.  The box is expected to cost about $50.  A household may request up to coupons, and the govt. is mandated on Jan. 1, 2008, to begin accepting those requests and mailing out the coupons.

Final rules for the program are being drafted as we speak that will govern which retailers will qualify to sell which boxes.  But a couple of things to bear in mind:  (1) Coupons likely will be distrributed on a first-come first served basis, while supplies last.  (2) Supplies are not unlimited.  Currently, there's enough funding for the program to cover about 35 million coupons, and opinions vary widely on how many TV sets rely exclusively on over-the-air analog.  There's also very limited funding for a consumer education campaign, and it's assumed the CE industry will band together with broadcasters to mount the needed consumer outreach.  But we'll see.  For the time being, hundreds of millions of Americans -- including the "early adopter" consumers who usually are the most knowledgeable about new CE products and technologies -- have no idea the Feb. 18, 2009, date awaits them.

On another point you raise about FCC jursidiction, the Commission certainly does have oversight responsibility for cable and satellite in addition to traditional over-the-air terrestrial broadcasting.  Ironically, though, the FCC figures rather little in the DTV coupon program, except for a role in which they'll help certify which boxes are eligible for the coupons.
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2006, 08:54:19 PM »
Who on earth still watches TV using their antenna? Apart from my mother-in-law that is... [hall2_shocked]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2006, 09:03:18 PM »
My roommate still uses the rabbit ears.  I've officially given up on broadcast TV although a friend of mine has been taping the new Dr. Who which I watch (I'm still halfway through Christiopher Eccleston) so I guess I'm cheating.

Thanks, Buzz, for posting this.  I'd figured out that the shift was to Digital, not HD, but in running a Google search I discovered that a lot of the consumers who are aware of the 2009 cutoff date are confused on this point.  Since it's Digital, that means that old shows on video will still be available to broadcasters, so long as they are in digital format--like our DVDs from the Dark Shadows master reels.

G.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2006, 09:59:36 PM »
Who on earth still watches TV using their antenna? Apart from my mother-in-law that is...

Um, anyone who doesn't have Cable or Satellite!   ::)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"