Author Topic: Ordering info-- DS Complete Music Library / Update-- DS: The Beginning DVDs  (Read 3811 times)

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
Re: Ordering info-- DS Complete Music Library / Update-- DS: The Beginning DVDs
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2006, 01:51:58 AM »
Hey Retzev,

I just received mine in the mail!  The set looks fantastic!  I haven't started listening to the CDs yet, but the packaging is really nice.  It's an open-ended box with 4 plastic CD cases in it.  Each CD case holds two cds.  The front of the box features a photo of collinwood. The front of each CD case features a photo of either the Old House or Collinwood.  Also, each case contains a nice booklet.  Together, the booklets comprise an interview with Robert Cobert (by our own Darren Gross)!  The titles of the tracks come from the original production music log book so they are not the song titles you might be familiar with from the earlier soundtrack releases.  The booklets contain some nice photos as well.  The CDs themselves are adorned with nice color disc labels.  The entire package design is quite pleasing to the eye.  I am sure these discs will also be pleasing to the ear!  I look forward to klistening to them and reading the interview with Mr. Cobert!

- Penny 
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2006, 10:08:03 AM »
Thanks Penny, I can't wait to get my hands on that puppy!
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

RachelDrummand

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2006, 02:21:10 PM »
I can't wait for your review Penny. I've asked my husband to order me this for xmas.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2006, 06:47:19 PM »
 A small quirk I noticed in the packaging -- if you flip the box over, the image on the back is upside down.  You have to flip it over to read the back of the box.  No biggie though.  I started listening to the cues and they sound amazing.  They are very clear and presented in a very definite order.  These are definitely not "sountrack albums" in the traditonal sense. but an organized library of musical cues which come one after the other in sequential order.  It was great hearing a crystal clear version of opening theme without the waves crashing or the crow cawing (as in HODS).  I also read Part One of the marvelous interview.  Cobert gives detailed insight into his early days and how music was in his life from an early age. 
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2006, 09:11:43 PM »
Wow, Penny, many thanks for that review.  I had my doubts as to whether this set would be something I would want to acquire (since I already have around seven CDs of Dark Shadows music at this point), and it definitely sounds like something I need to put on my shopping list.

Is this a limited edition that is going to go out of print soon?

Hope you and Garou are all set for a very joyous holiday!  Even if von Bulow keeps leaving those "Bah, Humbug, viile Witch!" messages on your answering machine!

cheers, Gothick

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2006, 03:56:15 AM »
I am also looking forward to your review, Penny.

I'm very interested in purchasing this (I need some good driving music with my new, longer commute), but I want to wait until after the holiday to see if any of my relatives have had enough forethought to get it for me. I doubt it, because I'm sure they're not as up to date on DS related stuff as I am, but I'd rather wait just in case.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2006, 04:09:46 AM »
I started listening to the cues and they sound amazing.  They are very clear and presented in a very definite order.  These are definitely not "sountrack albums" in the traditonal sense. but an organized library of musical cues which come one after the other in sequential order.

Suhweeet!
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

RachelDrummand

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2006, 05:09:30 AM »
So is it totally complete or is it mostly music cues?

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2006, 01:51:23 PM »
Hope you and Garou are all set for a very joyous holiday!  Even if von Bulow keeps leaving those "Bah, Humbug, viile Witch!" messages on your answering machine!

Thank you Gothick!  A happy holiday season to you too, and may your answering machine remain Von Bulow free.

RachelDrummond, I've only listened to the first disc so far, but the set definitely seems to be a complete library of musical cues.  It contains all the music Cobert composed for DS, but in a different format from the soundtrack albums, which tried to create more of a mood by adding the "stings" to the ends of some songs, and by giving the themes specific character and location names, etc.  Cobert's cues in the new complete collection go by his orginal monikers for these tunes.  For example, one song is called "tension - oh oh."  Cobert often created three or four variations on one theme, and these are presented sequentially on the discs.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2006, 03:29:48 PM »
I love DS music anyway, but the biggest draw for me ordering this was the word COMPLETE. It's nice to know I'll never have to buy another DS music CD.  [santa_cool]

My discount was $2.95, lol. I guess you have to be a video club member longer than just 24 hours.  [santa_grin]  I saw no mention of the free Colbert contemporary music CD during the ordering process either. I'll keep my fingers crossed. That CD has got to be a hoot.

Offline I Ching

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2006, 09:40:43 PM »
I received my set several days ago and have found both the booklets (containing the four-part interview with Robert Cobert) and the music to be very interesting.  It' definitely not Top 40 material, but is wonderful stuff for any DS addict or fanatic.  I have listened only 20-30 minutes at a time, as at that point the cues begin running together and it's hard to keep your attention on what each cue sounds like.  Still, even after having reviewed the set and listening to 1 of the 8 discs, I WOULD order the set if I had it do do over again.  I just can't get enough of the original Dark Shadows.  Thank you Jim Pierson and MPI!
Hexagram # 51 - Chen (symbolizes the decisive moment when change is recognized)