Author Topic: Annoying Shadows  (Read 3398 times)

IluvBarnabas

Re: Annoying Shadows
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2006, 03:19:22 AM »
Except for David Henesy, I haven't seen a child on the show that wasn't nails on a chalkboard annoying.

David is my #1 favorite child character on the show.I agree that Alexander and Michael were both annoying and obnoxious but I don't think the girls were as bad as all that or anywere near as bad as the Leviathan brats. I find Sarah adorable, Amy cute as a button and Hallie very sweet. JMO though.

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2006, 04:48:35 PM »
Except for David Henesy, I haven't seen a child on the show that wasn't nails on a chalkboard annoying.

I feel the same way exactly.  And Henesy could really give me pain in the eardrums as well.  Amy was just like a windup doll that shrieked constantly.  I mean, you spend all day listening to your own kids hollering and screaming, then you settle in for a nice episode of Dark Shadows to unwind and get away from it all, and you've gotta listen to those kids screaming and whining?  ACK!

I'm sorta worried - I just ordered DVD sets 16 - 18 (Thanks to the board members for the heads-up on the Deep Discount DVD sale!) which includes the Leviathan storyline.  Don't know about some of the comments I'm hearing here  ;D  Sounds scary.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2006, 05:05:11 PM »

I felt that way when I WAS Henesy's age, watching for the first time.   Kids were almost all annoying idiots on ALL of TV, though (they acted something like 5 years younger than they were), except Henesy and Billy Mumy, who was actually a great role model, and grew up pretty interestingly.     (Fish Heads, America, DS9, B5)
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2006, 05:29:05 PM »
Don't know about some of the comments I'm hearing here  ;D  Sounds scary.

Leviathan kicks ass, IMHO!   ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2006, 05:46:16 PM »
Leviathan kicks ass, IMHO!   ;)

Cool!  I haven't seen that story since they aired it on the Sci-Fi Channel years ago, so my memories are pretty vague.  But I seem to remember it being interesting.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2006, 01:32:58 AM »
Don't know about some of the comments I'm hearing here  ;D  Sounds scary.

Leviathan kicks ass, IMHO!   ;)

Leviathan....ah....

It's not THAT bad, not it's not EXCELLENT either. It falls somewhere in the middle. The storyline, well that's all right I suppose, might be hard to follow if you pay close attention. The thing that many seem to like about it is the character interactions and changes--and I've been enjoying this the most too.

And I agree that David H. isn't annoying. And I didn't really find Amy that annoying except when they kept making David twist her arm to make her do something, literally. And I don't remember much about Hallie so I don't want to make an opinion, but I think I liked her when I saw it the first time.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2007, 03:23:02 AM »
I can't believe no one mentioned "London Bridge is falling down falling down falling down London bridge is falling down my fair lady."

Here's what seems to have happened throughout a lot of DS. You had one song or one sequence that you heard over and over for a period of time then they moved on to something else and it was a new something or other that you heard over and over ad nauseum.

1) London Bridge, early Barnabas storyline
2) Josette's theme, early Barnabas storyline
2) "A seance has been held in the great house of Collinwood... 1795 storyline. And note how one day they'd say girl and the next woman. They never could make up their minds whether Vicki was a girl or a woman. Why couldn't they say young woman?
3) "Julia, when you do the experiment again..." Adam storyline
4) Quentin's theme, ghost of Quentin storyline, 1897 storyline
5) Angelique's theme, parallel time storyline. I never got tired of this one though, I loved it.
6) The carousel music 1995 and summer of '70 storyline. I don't think we heard it once we moved into 1840.

I don't remember others than these. But with each one you'd hear it during that storyline only, after that never again.

Alondra

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2007, 08:38:04 AM »
I found it anoying that Roger was always drinking and walking in the front door.

The Laviathan story I never really liked Chris Pennock

To remind people about Barnabas in Pt time 1970 showing the chained coffin.

[spoiler]That they killed of Off Barnabas in 1897 then explained it later. >:D[/spoiler]

Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2007, 09:10:17 AM »
Music-box-like themes for each storyline after a certain point, whether it made sense or not-- just because Josette's was popular.   Cloning Leticia from Pansy just because Pansy was popular.    PT not being thought out well, not consisting of things that could really have resulted from different choices.   Every other storyline being disappointing.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2007, 04:15:24 PM »
I am with Alondra on the London Bridge thing, and yes, Quentin's theme got old quickly as well. Here's something that quickly got on my nerves:

"My name is Victoria Winters." I mean, gee, we get it! It was almost as if Vicki was so stupid, she had to keep repeating her name! I don't believe they changed that until the 1795 storyline began!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2007, 05:12:01 PM »
I don't believe they changed that until the 1795 storyline began!

It lasted until Ep #275 when Nancy Barrett did the first non-Alexandra opening. 1795/96 began with Ep #366.  :)

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2007, 08:14:17 PM »
I don't believe they changed that until the 1795 storyline began!

It lasted until Ep #275 when Nancy Barrett did the first non-Alexandra opening. 1795/96 began with Ep #366.  :)

Thanks! See? It seemed to me to go on forever, but 275 episodes is enough anyway.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2007, 03:58:42 AM »
When we first started watching the early Barnabas episodes together a couple of weeks ago, the "My name is Victoria Winters" was annoying to me.  Now I've gotten used to it again, and I can imagine that when the show was originally on, the repeated statement might have been like a Pavlov's dog thing - you heard it and immediately the rest of your life dropped away and you were in the Dark Shadows world. Just in case the initial music didn't do the job.

For some reason the repetition of the various people's themes has never bothered me - not even London Bridge.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2007, 04:47:19 AM »
Hey Lydia--

"My name is Victoria Winters."

(I think she's under... what do you think we can make her do?    Something more imaginative than the old cluck-like-a-chicken bit...?)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2007, 05:03:41 AM »
Don't do that!  It scares my cat when I cluck!