Author Topic: Annoying Shadows  (Read 3399 times)

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Annoying Shadows
« on: November 19, 2006, 08:17:14 PM »
I meant to post something about this a few weeks back when I was actually WATCHING the episodes, but alas, I forgot.

Anyway, during the 1897 episodes where Kitty is [spoiler]realizing that she is Josette,[/spoiler] that flashing back and forth between Kitty and Barnabas' portrait and Kitty and Barnabas' portrait and so on and so forth, IS REALLY ANNOYING. Not only does it hurt my eyes when they do it several times in a row, but I just can't stand it!!!!

And then, when we get back to 1969 and we THINK that it's over, oh no. Julia [spoiler]thinks Barnabas is alive[/spoiler] and before she rushes to the Old House we have this whole Julia-looking-into-the-camera-while-Barnabas'-portait-flashes-us.

Who knew that a portrait could actually FLASH you, or that it could be so damn annoying.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

IluvBarnabas

Re: Annoying Shadows
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 09:00:14 PM »
To me, nothing was more annoying than hearing that damn tape recording with Lang's voice:

"Julia...when...when you do the experiment again (and so on)...." >:(

They played the that dang thing over and over AND OVER AND OVER again so often, it got to the point I couldn't even stand listening to the characters talk about ithe message. :-

Offline FireRose

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 09:20:38 PM »
To me, nothing was more annoying than hearing that damn tape recording with Lang's voice:

"Julia...when...when you do the experiment again (and so on)...." >:(

They played the that dang thing over and over AND OVER AND OVER again so often, it got to the point I couldn't even stand listening to the characters talk about ithe message. :-

My father always said that if the actors/actresses on the show heard that, the same way (we) the audience did, repeated over an over again. That even the actors/actresses, who were not good at remembering their lines, should twenty years later be able to remember it word for word. Because getting that out of ones head after hearing it so often was not an easy task to do.

It did get old after awhile.

FireRose

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 10:17:53 PM »
If you're watching 1897 on a straight run through the boxsets, Quentin's theme gets really old after a while. Like really old.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 02:03:14 AM »
"A seance has been held at the great house of Collinwood, a seance which has suspended time and space, and sent one woman on an uncertain and frightening journey back to the year 1795.  There each of the Collins ancestors resembles a present-day member of the Collins family, but the names and relationships have changed, and Victoria Winters finds herself a stranger in a sea of familiar faces."

I did that entirely from memory, although it's been nearly a year since I watched any of the 1795 episodes.  I'm betting that the majority of the people reading this could do it from memory, too.

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 03:06:42 AM »
I always wondered what the point of reminding us of that before every single episode, was.  I mean, I could see their desire to keep first-time viewers up to date, but jeez, even first-timers would have gotten pretty sick of it after a few days.  They could at least have varied the wording a bit. 

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 03:15:03 AM »
Time travel and fantasy weren't handled too well by most 60s viewers.  they hasd to be led by the hand through it all, so repeated explanations.

The significant thing about Kitty and the portrait for the viewer was the implication I think that Barnabas may be communicating with her in a ghostlike way, perhaps confirming that he's actually "dead".   that's what it was for me.

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Angelique Wins

• Full Poster
  • Angelique wins!
    • View Profile
    • Hey!  It's My Dark Shadows Website!
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 03:41:02 AM »
Time travel and fantasy weren't handled too well by most 60s viewers.  they hasd to be led by the hand through it all, so repeated explanations.

That must be the same for lots of other stuff.  Cause how many of us remember watching films in elementary school in the late 50s and early 60s and hearing over and over and over:  "Use this title and soundtrack to focus the picture and adjust the sound level.  To prevent damage, reel the film continuously during the showing.  Return all film parts around the proper reel.  DO NOT REWIND after the last showing.  Thank you."  ??

By 6th grade, the whole class usually chimed in like a Greek chorus!  LOL!

Judy
[angl]
**For the record...just in case you're wondering how it all turns out---Angelique wins.  [9366]

And if you want to know just how that's possible...then check out my DS fan fiction!
                         [read3]
http://www.codelphia.com/angeliquewins/tableocontents.html

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 03:53:00 AM »
Lather... rinse... repeat...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 05:33:36 AM »
OMG! I completely forgot about that awful Lang tape! That was something that REALLY plucked my last nerve during the Adam storyline. Speaking of Adam..

1)The Green Sweater. --Need I say more?
2)Everytime he spoke. B-B-B-Ba-Ba-Barn-Barna-Barnab-Barnaba-Barnabas GAWD!
3)Eve. Love Marie, hate Eve.

I so wanted to reach through the screen and just say "Dammit! If Barnabas dies Adam dies and if Adam dies, Barnabas dies! Cheese and rice people! You get bits and pieces for WEEKS ON END and you still are so damn stupid that you can't figure out what it means!"

But what does it mean?

And I don't really much mind the voiceovers being repeated time and again, because nowadays, most of the time when I watch the eps I'm settling into bed to watch about two before I retire, and I don't really pay much attention to them because while they are playing I'm adjusting myself to get comfy. (That is NOT how it sounds.)

But, you are so right. I read through that and could probably do the majority of it from memory alone.
Brandon Collins

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 05:09:38 AM »
Speaking of things that are annoying due to sheer repetitiveness, I just remembered:  Every time you're moments away from turning into a werewolf, what are the chances of somebody showing up at your doorstep wanting to have a long, thoughtul conversation with you?  Just about 100% apparently :)  Good grief that gets old. 

Offline Angelique Wins

• Full Poster
  • Angelique wins!
    • View Profile
    • Hey!  It's My Dark Shadows Website!
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 06:18:22 AM »
OMG! I completely forgot about that awful Lang tape! That was something that REALLY plucked my last nerve during the Adam storyline...I so wanted to reach through the screen and just say "Dammit! If Barnabas dies Adam dies and if Adam dies, Barnabas dies! Cheese and rice people! You get bits and pieces for WEEKS ON END and you still are so damn stupid that you can't figure out what it means!"

lol!  Can't everybody relate to that???  [laughing6]    ROFL!!!!

Judy
[angl]
**For the record...just in case you're wondering how it all turns out---Angelique wins.  [9366]

And if you want to know just how that's possible...then check out my DS fan fiction!
                         [read3]
http://www.codelphia.com/angeliquewins/tableocontents.html

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2006, 08:05:41 AM »
Speaking of things that are annoying due to sheer repetitiveness, I just remembered:  Every time you're moments away from turning into a werewolf, what are the chances of somebody showing up at your doorstep wanting to have a long, thoughtul conversation with you?  Just about 100% apparently :)  Good grief that gets old.

Also annoying is the about-to-become-a-werwolf's inability to NOT ANSWER THE DAMN DOOR.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2006, 07:10:46 PM »
Hmm. Annoying. I have two names. Alexander and Michael. The latter less so than the former. Boo I say, boo!

And on that note, I'm also starting to get quite annoyed with Paul's constant freakouts about the Leviathans and all that. Poor guy. I just wish he had a blow up doll to tell all this problems too. Because obviously no one actually LIVING will listen to him.
Brandon Collins

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2006, 02:16:02 AM »
Except for David Henesy, I haven't seen a child on the show that wasn't nails on a chalkboard annoying.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey