Author Topic: Re: Spoiler Box Contents Always On Display  (Read 1153 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Spoiler Box Contents Always On Display
« on: November 18, 2006, 11:32:30 PM »
MB, midnite....

By the way, the Spoiler box doesn't seem to be working for me.  By the time I see it, and my red alert goes off in my head and says to stop reading, I'm already partway through.   I wonder if anyone else has that problem.   It's like reaction time when you're driving, I guess.   The only thing I can think of is allowing a few blank lines before the spoiler.

All spoilers remain hidden until your mouse cursor passes over them.  So would it help to keep it pointed at a location outside the posts?  Spoiler boxes already make reading the posts a bit choppy, and it might worsen with extra blank lines.

but then what's a spoiler for me is dofferent than for someone else, and most of mine won't even get boxed.   It's 1968 for me.   So i'll just have to make do as best I can.

Hmm, I honestly don't know what '68 spoilers are getting by.   [scratch2]  Sorry about that!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 12:30:50 AM »
Midnite.....  My accessibility features must be turning the blank boxes off.  I've never seen a blank spoiler box.  All the print is always there.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 01:40:51 AM »
My accessibility features must be turning the blank boxes off.  I've never seen a blank spoiler box.  All the print is always there.

How odd. What people should see is a blank box or boxes. For example, the content of IluvBarnabas' first post in "Character's fate you would have liked to have changed..." should look something like this:

unless someone passes their mouse cursor over a spoiler box (or they highlight the contents of the box in IE).

This is the first that I've heard that accessibility features can bypass the spoiler box code and cause the contents of a box to display all the time. What sort of accessibilty features are you running on your computer, Magnus? Are they Windows own features or some other software? Not that knowing that will definitely help - but I MIGHT be able to figure out a way to rewrite the code for the spoiler box IF I can figure out what accessibility feature/software is causing a spoiler box to automatically display its content even without passing the mouse cursor over it (or highlighting it)...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 01:59:10 AM »
MT, do you use a Firefox extension called Greasemonkey?  If so, you may have inadvertently installed one of user scripts that is a forum despoiler.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 02:40:53 AM »
Once I may have downloaded Firefox stuff on someone's reccommendation, found it took up a lot of space and I had no idea what to do with it, and deleted it, or tried to.    I have no clue what it was or where bits of it might be if they're still in there.

I use Windows 98 if that's the right information.   The features come with this.   They're under the Control Panel.

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 02:44:07 AM »
There are so many things that aren't spoilers for me though that if you changed anything it might slow everything down too much.   Thanks anyway.