Author Topic: Jump cuts in Episode 432  (Read 1122 times)

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Jump cuts in Episode 432
« on: November 13, 2006, 05:48:31 AM »
When Daniel, Trask and Naomi are looking at Abigal's body against a tree in ep 432 (DVD collection 6, last ep of disc 2), there are two weird, very glaring jump cuts in the same shot.  Is this a rare instance of an edit that happened during taping? To cover "dead" Abigal? Or was it made after the fact by MPI for some reason? Curious if anyone has some info.
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Jump cuts in Episode 432
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 08:04:39 PM »
Thanks to horror-host Svengoolie of Chicago, I now know what jump-cuts are.    I'm reminded of another with Mrs Johnson, when we last see her in 1995... she obviously couldn't keep still for that long, so more than one edit.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 10:47:43 PM »
Thanks to horror-host Svengoolie of Chicago, I now know what jump-cuts are.    I'm reminded of another with Mrs Johnson, when we last see her in 1995... she obviously couldn't keep still for that long, so more than one edit.

...And jump cuts are.....? (Curious minds want to know!) [huhb]
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 11:05:37 PM »
Picture a wide shot with a person standing on one side of the screen. Then that person walks to the other side of the screen.  Now imagine someone cutting out the bit of tape where the person walks, and splicing the footage from either side of that shot back together.  What is left is a "jump cut"- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jump_cut- an edit where the camera does not move, but some action has been removed. Now the person simply "pops" from one side of the screen to the other. You see it in bad edits, but sometimes it is done for intentional effect, or for visual impact (like in a Godard film)  In this instance I mentioned earlier, it seems to be covering an error in filming, thoug I don't know what.
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 01:30:56 AM »
Picture a wide shot with a person standing on one side of the screen. Then that person walks to the other side of the screen.  Now imagine someone cutting out the bit of tape where the person walks, and splicing the footage from either side of that shot back together.  What is left is a "jump cut"- ... - an edit where the camera does not move, but some action has been removed. Now the person simply "pops" from one side of the screen to the other. You see it in bad edits, but sometimes it is done for intentional effect, or for visual impact (like in a Godard film)  In this instance I mentioned earlier, it seems to be covering an error in filming, thoug I don't know what.

Great explanation! Thank you! [knockwood]
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 07:52:36 AM »
It also counts as a jump-cut apparently (this is the only kind I'd heard of, from Svengooli) if there is an edit right in the middle of a scene while action or dialogue is going on, rather than between scenes or between shots within a scene.   Sven showed a scene from an Ed Wood movie, and showed where an edit was, between lines, but the camera was still doing the same shot from the same angle... almost, but the camera, lighting, and other things shifted enough that the edit looked really crazy.   Even though everyone was still standing still in roughly the same positions.

That's why I mentioned Mrs. Johnson.    They came close to it being smooth, but still odd and disconcerting.    She just couldn't go without blinking that long, I guess.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor