Author Topic: DS Names for Real  (Read 6160 times)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: DS Names for Real
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2006, 05:27:32 AM »
I named my first car Willie, after Willie Loomis.  It never broke down, so I never had a chance to say, "Willie, you betrayed me!"

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2006, 03:35:55 PM »
I also remember my brother Dan used to go out with a girl named Angelique, they broke up after a year together but on good terms I am happy to say....no curses or anything. [hall2_grin]

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2006, 03:53:48 PM »
That's all I can come up with so far.  Will update later if I think of anyone I forgot.  ;)

Thought of another one.  I forgot about Michael the Leviathan brat, and one of my brother's is named Mike, though we all call him Beep-LONNNNNNNNG story!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2006, 04:25:31 PM »
My direct ancestor during the American Revolution was named Joshua Joyner. From what we know he was directly under Washington as a foot soldier, they have found pensioners papers, and the funny thing is he was likely at the battle of Yorktown. Diane's direct ancesteor was at the same battle on the Redcoat side, in Cornwallis's medical corps.
Michael  [hall2_grin]
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Angelique Wins

• Full Poster
  • Angelique wins!
    • View Profile
    • Hey!  It's My Dark Shadows Website!
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2006, 05:44:27 PM »
My direct ancestor during the American Revolution was named Joshua Joyner. From what we know he was directly under Washington as a foot soldier, they have found pensioners papers, and the funny thing is he was likely at the battle of Yorktown. Diane's direct ancesteor was at the same battle on the Redcoat side, in Cornwallis's medical corps.  [hall2_grin]

Cool!  One of mine, Elijah Caswell (ok, not Joshua, but still Biblical--wasn't everybody?  LOL!) was a drummer in the Revolution.  Another cousin says he was also connected to the regiment of the "crossing the Delaware" picture.  Another ancestor on my mom's side, George Charles Harmon (aka Charlie Grey Horse) fought at the Battle of Hanging Rock where the American forces got WHUPPED.  In his own words, "We all left according to our own notion..."  In other words, a Monty Pytonesque "RUN AWAY!!!!"

Judy
[angl]
**For the record...just in case you're wondering how it all turns out---Angelique wins.  [9366]

And if you want to know just how that's possible...then check out my DS fan fiction!
                         [read3]
http://www.codelphia.com/angeliquewins/tableocontents.html

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2006, 07:57:38 PM »
Oh, I can't believe I didn't remember this sooner....we used to have a next-door neighbor with the name Collins, Kim Collins to be precise, who not only shares the last name of my favorite TV family but also the first name of an older sister of mine. :)

Offline MaineGirl

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2006, 11:54:47 PM »
So, there really is a Buzz!  And, Devlin is another DS name.  Plus, Burke and Buzz both start with "Bu" - so the pairing of those names seems a bit natural.

What I'm getting at is an engagement announcement in our newspaper today and the parents of the groom are Mr. and Mrs. Buzz Devlin!

Interesting! I'm always amused, myself, when driving around, when I see relevant company names. Like, for example, across the border in Canada (from New York State) there is a Hackett Orchard. Then, locally, there is Hoffman's Coffee Shop. And Loomis Lane...which was in Vermont. I always think to take pictures AFTER I've gotten home.  :D

MaineGirl

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2006, 08:16:11 PM »
I don't have any New England names in my ancestry, but my earliest recorded ancestors in my direct patriarchal line are also names mentioned on DS:  Philippe and Catherine (they lived in the Duchy of Lorraine in the 1600s).  I only recently realized that these are also the names of the two main characters in the movie "Eye of the Devil," a happy coincidence since this movie struck such a chord with me, but then these names are quite common in France.  (What becomes more surprising is that I also have an ancestor named Odile, though she didn't have a brother named Christian - Odile was not an uncommon name in NE France.)  I've searched hard for an Angelique and did find a cousin of some ancestors by that name, so while she could be said to be in an extended family tree, she isn't my ancestor, disappointingly.  The name Angelique isn't quite as rare as I had originally thought since I came across it a number of times in 17th century records.  Other ancestor's names that are also on DS include:  Elisabeth (minor spelling variation), Claude (my oldest recorded ancestor on the maternal side of this line), and Gabriel.

Lately I've switched to my Nordic ancestry, but the names here are quite different for the most part, not likely to be found among any DS characters, though I have found a very early Catherine, in Sƒ¸nderjylland.  There was a Carl later in the 1700s, though as a military man he probably was not much like Carl Collins (on of my favorite John Karlen portrayals).  And a Scandinavian great-grandmother of mine Americanized her name to Carrie in the 1800s (as in the 1840 storyline's "Tad and Carrie").

After writing this, I started consulting a list of DS characters and realize my list is paltry in terms of percentage of hits ... no Jebez, Judah, Gerard, Bramwell or Ezras, no Minerva, Charity, or Dorcas.  What great names the DS writers came up with - and all of them historically accurate for the time periods, as far as I can tell.  I have no surnames in common - no Stokes or Collins or Braithwaites or Hawkes in my family ... I suppose I could add first names of current relatives:  Victoria, Sarah, David, etc.  But no Maggie, Carolyn, Cassandra - except, as I type that, I remember that my sister's name is "Sandra" and that when we were kids growing up watching DS, I really wished she could change it to "Cassandra" because of Cassandra Blair, and I was thrilled when my mother said that Sandra was a form of "Cassandra."  At the time, I would have said both my sister and Cassandra were about equally evil ...  My sister goes by "Sandy" today, which was the name of Victoria Winters' roommate at the foundling home  :D

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2006, 08:48:50 PM »
I'm always amused, myself, when driving around, when I see relevant company names.

There was a beach house in Hampton Beach in NH my sister and I used to rent with friends for the month of June (this was several years ago). There was a house down the street that had a sign out front identifying it as "Windcliffe". I always got a kick out of that.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2006, 09:18:04 PM »
I'm not even sure I have a cousin David.   No relatives whatsoever probably, named the same as DS people.

I wish I lived in New England.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2006, 07:58:49 AM »
I was just looking for information for my cousin Barbara on an ancestor of ours named Barbe, when I noticed that Barbe (d. 1736) was married to Jean-Gerard (d. 1731) (who was "maire" - mayor).  How could I have forgotten that I had a Gerard in my ancestry when Gerard Stiles is one of my favorite DS characters?  And their daughter was named Catherine - I have Catherines coming out of my ears!  (If there was anyone named Marie on DS, I've got tons of those, too ...)

The other name I remembered is Nicholas.  My great-great-great-grandfather in my direct line was named Jean-Nicolas (6 Dec 1765  - 10 Dec 1811).  Since Nicholas Blair is about my least favorite major character on DS, I can see why I hadn't remembered this name earlier.

Yikes, this is getting scary, I just remembered that I also had an ancestor named Adam (whose daughter was named Catherine), and the sister of a different ancestor was named Anne-Eve.  This was in the late 1600s.  And the father of the Jean-Gerard I mentioned above was also named Nicolas (1643-1693).

BTW, I really enjoyed the humorous associations people had in this thread.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2006, 06:59:15 PM »
I had an ancestor named Adam.   He and his common-law wife got evicted for nude sunbathing or something.    Back when he was single he had some accident with his rib cage and it was all lopsided after that.   They never found the missing rib.

My uncle was named Nicholas, and had a hat just like Nicholas Blair's.  He used to wear it all the time, and used to travel a lot.    He didn't go to church much from what I recall.    Oh, and I almost forgot, his last name was Blair and he worked for Satan.  I'm crappy with details, sorry.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2006, 08:54:40 PM »
I have cousins (and 2nd cousins) named David, Carolyn, Amy, Sarah, Amanda, Chris, Joshua and Nicholas.  I have an uncle named Tom and my father was William but, he was called Bill not Will or Willie.  My real name is also Beth and one of my dogs is Alexis (called Lexie).  Unfortunately no Quentins, Angeliques, or Josettes - but there is a St. Barnabas parish somewhere in my city.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2006, 08:56:30 PM »
There is a nursing home near Plano, Tx called Collinwood! :-)
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2006, 09:59:04 PM »
My mom's name is Catherine Elizabeth (two hits there), and in college I knew a girl called "Angelique."  Yes, she was named after the character on Dark Shadows, and yes, she was a total bee-yatch!

Oh, and my real middle name is Caroline (close), but no 'gar.  ::)

I've wracked my brain and can't come up with any other DS names among my family or friends.  Well, I knew a Vikki a few years back, and she actually reminded me of Joanna Going a little bit.  She said her father named her after Vikki Carr - so her name wasn't really Victoria.
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.