Author Topic: Monsters We Shoulda Seen  (Read 4678 times)

Offline Angelique Wins

• Full Poster
  • Angelique wins!
    • View Profile
    • Hey!  It's My Dark Shadows Website!
Re: Monsters We Shoulda Seen
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2006, 03:51:21 AM »
The series finale:
  (Scroll up to see the photo)

Cool!!!  Monster in a mirror universe!  Or has the monster turned the real house inside out so that the solarium windows are on the Other side?  [hall2_shocked]  LOL!
**For the record...just in case you're wondering how it all turns out---Angelique wins.  [9366]

And if you want to know just how that's possible...then check out my DS fan fiction!
                         [read3]
http://www.codelphia.com/angeliquewins/tableocontents.html

Offline DSFan008

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2006, 05:07:11 AM »
i kinda like the mummy idea, but i also like the sea-monster, creature from the black lagoon
concept and

the serial killer both would be really interesting stories for DS

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2006, 07:28:02 PM »
Hey, how about this:

An evil pimple that becomes SO large that it has the ability to take over David's brain, possessing him, and making him do things he wouldn't normally do like dance the jig, push his father down the stairs, claim Barnabas is a vampire, and all that!

Oh wait....that already happened. But maybe we could use the evil pimple strategy in another way? Instead of possessing David, the energy of the evil pimple could transfer to Barnabas when he bites David, and then Barnabas would need injections from Julia so he could be whole again.

Hmm. Maybe MB is right. I got into Nancy's sauce a little too much.  [hall2_wink]
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2006, 09:09:52 PM »
I think a cat-creature would have been cool.  I'm thinking of something in between the original Cat People story, the novel The Green Eyes of Bast by fab cult novelist Sax Rohmer (he also invented Fu Manchu and Sumuru), and the 1940s Cat People film.  There could have been a brother and sister who were both were-cats as in the Nastassja Kinski version of the story.

I'm not sure that a mummy story would have worked.  Perhaps if the Mummy had been more like the one played by Chris Lee in the Hammer 1959 version.  Instead of Yvonne Furneaux, the Mummy's lost love could have been one of the KLS or Kate Jackson characters.  It would have been more interesting if the Mummy had taken on the guise of a modern day antiquarian, rather like Im-Ho-Tep and Ardath Bey in the original 1932 film.

A complicated plot involving Laura, the resuscitated Mummy, a feline brother and sister AND Nicholas Blair hell-bent on bringing down Collinwood and getting his revenge, would have added a LOT of color to the otherwise dreary Summer of '71...

G.

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2006, 10:57:04 PM »
Love the cat people idea! It could have flowed so logically from the 1795 story when the cat disappeared in a puff of smoke in Vicki's room, too, leaving a befuddled Louis E. instead!
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2006, 01:59:37 AM »
if i may quote sam hall(courtesy of r.j. jamison)"whenever we were having a story conference,we always knew we'd hit a low when someone would say,'why don't we do a mummy show?'".

i couldn't agree more.for me there were more than enough monsters as it was thank you.

at one point during 1968 i think we had seven monsters in rotation

i would have prefered a few "select" supernatural characters interacting more with the human cast like we had during the earlier part of the show than the full on monster vs. monster atmosphere of some of the later storylines.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2006, 02:13:17 AM »
I think it helps to remember that the original concept of the show was to be a perfectly normal soap opera that leaned towards mystery and gothic elements.

When Curtis took a sharp left turn and began pursuing the supernatural, the entire concept had to be re-created while in production.  I would think that process was one hell of a feat to pull off.  Resorting to the "monster of the month" might have been the only way to keep three steps ahead of the production schedule.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2006, 04:14:20 AM »

A mummy story could have been great.  A story about an ancient Egyptian mummy invading the present day setting (or a 1920s setting) might have been perfect material for DS if handled well by the writers.  I've heard the rumor that there was supposed to have been a mummy on the show after 1897 ended, but who knows if that's actually true.

A banshee might have worked well on the show.  Any of those shadowy creatures from the dark. misty side of folklore and literature could have worked in a series like DS. 

Mark, the Godzilla attacks Collinwood pic is friggin' hilarious!!

-Penny Dreadful-  
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2006, 02:10:16 PM »
i would have prefered a few "select" supernatural characters

On a trip to Bangor, Carolyn comes across a mummy, and asks it, "But why don't you come to Collinwood?  It's just the place for you!"  The mummy answers sadly, "I auditioned, but I didn't make the cut."