Author Topic: Joan and Grayson: better than crystal meth  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Joan and Grayson: better than crystal meth
« on: November 01, 2006, 11:29:08 PM »
Last weekend I happened to be viewing some scenes from the shows from the week that chronicled Amy Jennings' arrival at Collinwood.  Grayson and Joan had several scenes together; Grayson in one of my favorite dark blue suits of hers, and Joan in a regal power red number accentuated with a magisterial gold brooch.  Not for the first time, I reflected how much I have enjoyed watching these two divas mulch scenery together on the show (though a waggish friend of mine insists that their contrasting acting styles makes the experience similar to "a 78 played alongside a 16 1/2 rpm speed disc"--this analogy will be lost on younger viewers, alas).

I think my favorite of their scenes together comes during the Leviathan era--I've written about it too many times to repeat myself again, but it involves a somewhat tacky gold shopping-bag with something special Liz has tucked away for everyone's favorite houseguest...

Anybody else care to share their favorite Joan/Grayson scene here?  The technologically advanced should feel free to add photos!

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: Joan and Grayson: better than crystal meth
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 01:57:46 AM »
i could not agree more gothick.

two virtuosos made even better when paired up.they share too many genius scenes to mention...although a particular scene between judith and magda comes to mind...that i can't pick just one.

the gold shopping bag scene during the leviathan storyline is excellent...and somewhat ridiculous("oh,i don't know julia...i just like wandering around my own house with a tiny golden bag with nothing in it...and no i am not acting strangely!").

that such divine talent graced this odd little tale is just too much!
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

David

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 01:58:19 AM »
I think the leering, evil Joan trying to get Grayson to open the Naga box really rocks!

David

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 05:44:40 AM »
I love the Joan/Grayson scenes as Judith and Magda. Judith didn't think too much of Magda (what with her being a gypsy and all) but Magda wasn't afraid to tell Judith how it really was concerning HER family. Their scenes are just so priceless.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 04:43:05 PM »
Grayson in one of my favorite dark blue suits of hers

Is this the suit w/the white, puffy, ascotty thing?  I *love* that outfit as well!  One of her best 'present day' costumes!

I too love all their scenes together and one that I think is better than Crystal Meth ([in my BEST Linda Richman] not that I would ever know what Crystal Meth is like, but I've heard...) is when [spoiler]Janet Findley is dead at the top of the stairway and falls down them.  Their comibined screams are to DIE for![/spoiler]
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 07:55:12 AM »
I liked the scenes between Joan & Grayson when Elizabeth was on the lam from Wyndecliff, and poor Julia was suffering the effects of her "fling in the woods" with Tom Jennings... Liz follows Julia to a crypt and crashes her clandestine meeting with Tom. Grayson Hall screams at Joan to "Get OUT! GET OUT!" with such primal fury and desperation, I worried more about Liz's safety than Julia's plight.

The Judith/Magda scenes were always fun - especially when Magda would zing the imperious Judith.

Para L. Time

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 09:19:30 AM »
What's next? Louis and Jonathan: better than heroin?

I agree that the combined screams of horror from both Julia and Elizabeth when a stunt man in drag falls dead down the stairs of Collinwood is to die for!

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 03:29:59 PM »
I liked the scenes between Joan & Grayson when Elizabeth was on the lam from Wyndecliff, and poor Julia was suffering the effects of her "fling in the woods" with Tom Jennings... Liz follows Julia to a crypt and crashes her clandestine meeting with Tom. Grayson Hall screams at Joan to "Get OUT! GET OUT!"

That is one of Karlenfan's FAVORITE scenes!  She loves it so much that when she and Phoebe came to visit me once around the time of her birthday, Phoebe and I had a cake made w/GET OUT! written on it.  The guy at Baskin Robbins thought we were nuts!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 09:56:17 PM »
There is a scene in the early days of Julia's stay at Collinwood when [spoiler]Liz asks her about her book, and since there was no book (Julia's supposed reason for staying there as that she was working on a historical book about the Collins family) Julia managed to turn the conversation around to Liz. Liz said something like "You're quite remarkable yourself. This conversation started out being about you and you've turned it around so that it's about me."[/spoiler]

Also like others have said, the scenes with Judith and Magda. I loved Magda! And Judith was such a snob I loved it when Magda put her in her place.

Alondra