Author Topic: Something I noticed in the Credits of "Scandalize My Name"  (Read 3058 times)

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
Something I noticed in the Credits of "Scandalize My Name"
« on: October 09, 2006, 07:15:38 PM »

I was surfing channels early this morning and (as usual) hit this in progress, this time on BlackStarz. I've seen it multiple times, but always in progress from different starting points.  (I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't caught it.)  Though I have this channel, it's NOT in my cable guide to know when something is on. [hall2_tongue]

Anyway, in watching the closing credits I saw something interesting.  A production assistant named VICKI MOLTKE.  Needless to say that made me curious.  Anyone have any idea who this (I assume) relative of Alexandra (Moltke) Isles is?

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Something I noticed in the Credits of "Scandalize My Name"
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 09:23:49 PM »
I don'y undertand how this can be, therefore I assume it's some sort of wacky temporal paradox of some kind.  It's your duty to go back in time, and prevent this movie from being made.   While you're back there, pick me up some original Beatles 45s with the picture covers, and foil the Kennedy assassination.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 01:51:41 AM »
That's bizarre!

Speaking of spotting DS related names, I was watching the original Wolfman the other night with my Mom. There was a pan across a graveyard (either at Bela's funeral or when the gravedigger is killed) and a gravestone in the foreground bore the name Collins, with the birthdate (I think) of 1897.  [hall2_grin]

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 01:55:41 AM »
I don'y undertand how this can be, therefore I assume it's some sort of wacky temporal paradox of some kind.  It's your duty to go back in time, and prevent this movie from being made.   While you're back there, pick me up some original Beatles 45s with the picture covers, and foil the Kennedy assassination.

Of course if I were going to go to that much trouble, I would probably make a stop in the space time continuum and pick up some stock from  start ups run by guys named Jobs, Wozniak and Gates.....

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 01:57:45 AM »
Speaking of spotting DS related names, I was watching the original Wolfman the other night with my Mom. There was a pan across a graveyard (either at Bela's funeral or when the gravedigger is killed) and a gravestone in the foreground bore the name Collins, with the birthdate (I think) of 1897.  [hall2_grin]

Cool catch, Arashi.  Haven't seen the original Wolfman in a long time.  I DO have the 25th anniversary collection of Wolfman movies, though.  I must watch for that when I get that round tuit I need so badly and find time to watch them....

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 02:55:01 AM »
I was surfing channels early this morning and (as usual) hit this in progress, this time on BlackStarz. I've seen it multiple times, but always in progress from different starting points.  (I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't caught it.)  Though I have this channel, it's NOT in my cable guide to know when something is on. [hall2_tongue]

Anyway, in watching the closing credits I saw something interesting.  A production assistant named VICKI MOLTKE.  Needless to say that made me curious.  Anyone have any idea who this (I assume) relative of Alexandra (Moltke) Isles is?

The director and writer of this documentary is Ms. Isles, yes.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0258949/
Julia99

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 03:27:24 AM »
And surely, everyone must know that the character name "Burke Devlin" originated as the role Rock Hudson played in director Douglas Sirk's 1958 melodrama (one of eight on which they worked together) TARNISHED ANGELS.  Nothing to do with any supernatural themes----  it's about a reporter, played by Hudson, working on a story about a former WWI pilot reduced to working as a stunt aviator.  This Devlin becomes interested in the unhappy blonde wife of the ne'er-do-well former hero, which fellow (played by Robert Stack) happens to be named Roger.  (However, that's where any similarity ends--- the wife, played by Dorothy Malone, is named LaVerne, their young son is named Jack, and the family name is Schuman.) 

It's interesting to note that the reporter character had no name in the original William Faulkner story upon which the film was based.  A reading of the credits listed on IMDB doesn't appear to mention anyone later connected with DS, though IMDB is hardly the final word on anything.  One could make the case that some names just get recycled in different shows and movies, but this IS a quite unique character name, and indeed, one could make a case that Mitch Ryan was intended to invoke some comparison to Hudson, whose roles in those days were of the manly alpha male (sometimes with a rough edge) type.
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 04:11:56 AM »
The director and writer of this documentary is Ms. Isles, yes.

Thanks for the reference, but  I was well aware of Ms. Isles involvement in the project.  What I was questioning was the interesting coincidence of the name Vicki Moltke, credited as a production assistant, and who that person might be.  The coincidence of the name and spelling of Vicki is what led me to ask the question.

Offline Angelique Wins

• Full Poster
  • Angelique wins!
    • View Profile
    • Hey!  It's My Dark Shadows Website!
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 07:47:04 AM »

Of course if I were going to go to that much trouble, I would probably make a stop in the space time continuum and pick up some stock from  start ups run by guys named Jobs, Wozniak and Gates.....

And while you're gone, I'm guessing you're going to go back and your past self to NOT unload ANY DS memorabilia.  And I'll give you my address, cause you'll want to meet me then.  I wasn't QUITE as charming and adorable, but I was on my way.   [hall2_grin]

Judy
[angl]

P.S.  Say hello to Beeth-Oven and So-Crates for me!!!!  Oh, and see if you can score a Roy Rogers lunchbox for me.  Thanks!  You're the BEST!
**For the record...just in case you're wondering how it all turns out---Angelique wins.  [9366]

And if you want to know just how that's possible...then check out my DS fan fiction!
                         [read3]
http://www.codelphia.com/angeliquewins/tableocontents.html

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 02:23:32 PM »
I think I can solve this- I remember reading an old magazine interview in which Alexandra mentiona a COUSIN named Vicki!

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 11:43:52 PM »
and alexandras son is named ADAM! lol

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 01:11:30 AM »

But, is that a coincidence?  Johnny Karlen's son is named Adam too.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2006, 03:55:44 AM »
But, is that a coincidence?  Johnny Karlen's son is named Adam too.  ;)

In JK's case, it's defintely a family name--- his father was named Adam and it's his own middle name too.
It could certainly be a name that appeared previously in either the Moltke or Isles families.
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 06:47:06 PM »
I was just perusing an old 16 magazine this morning and I came across a sort of "Meet the Stars" section, this time featuring the cast of DS. For Alexandra it mentions she's living in an apartment in the city with her Mother and a sister named Vicky.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2006, 06:55:30 PM »
I can't believe this got figured out so fast!   And nice drawings arashi... i did a primitive aristede myself at age 11 or so.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor