Author Topic: Plugging the Show at Home  (Read 2094 times)

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Plugging the Show at Home
« on: April 29, 2002, 03:34:07 PM »
One of our local morning news shows was doing a segment today where they invited people to email in their vote for the best TV show based on the TV Guide top 50 list.  I emailed them "Forget the TV Guide list¢â‚¬¦my favorite show is Dark Shadows!" They didn't read the entire line but they did mention DS.  The female anchor said something like "I can't believe someone remembered this one¢â‚¬¦Dark Shadows¢â‚¬¦it used to scare me to death!"  Well it was a plug - a really small plug - but a plug just the same! LOL!  ;D
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Plugging the Show at Home
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2002, 11:27:05 PM »
Castlebee wrote: One of our local morning news shows was doing a segment today where they invited people to email in their vote for the best TV show based on the TV Guide top 50 list.  I emailed them “Forget the TV Guide list…my favorite show is Dark Shadows!” They didn’t read the entire line but they did mention DS.  The female anchor said something like “I can’t believe someone remembered this one…Dark Shadows…it used to scare me to death!”  Well it was a plug – a really small plug – but a plug just the same! LOL!  ;D

Castlebee, I wonder what planet that anchor woman was from? LOL!  Maybe she should come over to the board and see just how many fans "actually remember" the show. Hey,a small plug is better than no plug, that's great that you send in your vote for the show[thumb]
Maybe others will follow suit. :)

"Calamity Jane"

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2002, 02:49:01 AM »
Way to go, Castlebee!

And at least the anchorwoman's response showed she DID accurately remember the show ( ... it has probably never really left her, and is lurking in her subconscious like a frightful wraith, a fearful archetype ...)

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
:'(Re: Plugging the Show at Home
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2002, 03:12:19 AM »
Cassandra wrote:
Castlebee, I wonder what planet that anchor woman was from? LOL!  Maybe she should come over to the board and see just how many fans "actually remember" the show. Hey,a small plug is better than no plug, that's great that you send in your vote for the show
Maybe others will follow suit.  

Honey, about 8ish months ago, when we were 'worried' Sci-Fi might pull the plug after the last full run, some of us wrote (actually pen/paper in envelopes)! to TPTB @ Sci-Fi to let them know we're real (and CONSUMERS!).
(I mentioned how I couldn't get in to the SATURDAY :'( Show at the  :'(  :'( WTC) due to OVERCROWDING!

Of course...sci fi never had the decency to THANK ME FOR MY INPUT (you know they lurk, right 8) )...

Sooo....
People
know
we're
out
here.....

Also...and I don't know if Midnite could help...at around this same time frame....an old (about 2 ago??) DS Board hit the thousand?? mark....Midnite....

Maybe the anchor 'chick' was:
a) young
b) blonde ::)
c) tasteless
d) all of the above

THANKS CASTLEBEE FOR THE PLUG

Does anyone else here mention DS/and or the boards and get the same type of response???  ::)  ::)  ::)

I know I do.

"Let em eat pecan pie" (like my family's doing right now!)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2002, 03:36:34 AM »
My good friends know about my D.S. obsession.  I hesitate to say they think I am nuts.    I have also told close friends how I post here.  They humor me.

Birdie--good friends except your as you are even if you are crazy.
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:  :'(Plugging the Show at Home
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2002, 04:46:53 AM »
Of course...sci fi never had the decency to THANK ME FOR MY INPUT (you know they lurk, right 8) )...

Wow, did I just see SciFi and decency mentioned in the same sentence?...

Okay, I'm extremely grateful they air our show, so I'll say no more about them. :-X

(But I'm not bitter. ;))

Also...and I don't know if Midnite could help...at around this same time frame....an old (about 2 ago??) DS Board hit the thousand?? mark....Midnite....

When the plug was pulled on the 2nd VNet board and we were forced to move to eboards4all until this forum was ready, we were only a few thousand hits shy of 2 MILLION page views.

Enjoyed your story, Castlebee! :D

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2002, 07:23:53 PM »
One of our local morning news shows was doing a segment today where they invited people to email in their vote for the best TV show based on the TV Guide top 50 list.  I emailed them “Forget the TV Guide list…my favorite show is Dark Shadows!” They didn’t read the entire line but they did mention DS.  The female anchor said something like “I can’t believe someone remembered this one…Dark Shadows…it used to scare me to death!”  Well it was a plug – a really small plug – but a plug just the same! LOL!  ;D

Great CastleBee
when i saw that list i looked for DS and couldn't believe
it wasn't there! :o

jennifer
agree with Patti some people are clueless!!!!!!!!!
?!?
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2002, 07:37:19 PM »
Just wanted to add went on Tvguide.com
and put my comments for greatest show!
you can vote but DS not on list to vote though!

jennifer(who'll do anything to avoid housework!)
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2002, 01:57:04 AM »

Maybe the anchor 'chick' was:
a) young
b) blonde ::)
c) tasteless
d) all of the above

I'll give her b and c but she can forget a (Meow!). As Vlad said
...at least the anchorwoman's response showed she DID accurately remember the show
and I'm pretty sure her memory of it goes back to the original broadcast.

Does anyone else here mention DS/and or the boards and get the same type of response???  ::)  ::)  ::)

I know I do.

I work with two women who are almost exactly my age and NEITHER of them ever watched the show!  I can't believe it - it's like a vast wasteland.  I count on the boards to make me feel sane!
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2002, 03:43:14 AM »

I work with two women who are almost exactly my age and NEITHER of them ever watched the show!  I can't believe it - it's like a vast wasteland.  I count on the boards to make me feel sane!

I can hardly believe that, Castlebee!  :o

I have yet to meet anyone our age who didn't watch the show!

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2002, 04:54:55 AM »
Vlad,
         My husband is only two years older than me and he never watched Dark Shadows.  He didn't watch any T.V. in the afternoon growing up.  Can you believe I married him. hehe. He puts up with me that counts for a lot.  He is also a great guy.  His favorite shows were the Wild Wild West and The Man from U.N.C.L.E.  Actually, I was an U.N.C.L.E. fan also. .  

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2002, 08:05:37 AM »

I'll give her b and c but she can forget a (Meow!). As Vlad said
and I'm pretty sure her memory of it goes back to the original broadcast.

there are a few people who i work with who never
even heard of it either CastleBee!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2002, 08:17:06 AM »

I can't believe it - it's like a vast wasteland.  I count on the boards to make me feel sane!

Nobody who went to school with me knew a thing about the show :-[.    My friends were polite enough to listen to me ramble about it at length, (for a time  :-X) but for over a year, I had nobody with whom to really discuss DS.  It was a wonderful day when I discovered the discussion forums on the net.  It's a pleasure to sit down and read all of the brilliant, witty, funny messages and to be around people who understand.  :D  

Way to go, CastleBee for helping others to remember DS!

ProfStokes