Author Topic: My Network TV~~Home For Dark Shadows?  (Read 1489 times)

David

My Network TV~~Home For Dark Shadows?
« on: September 25, 2006, 06:25:16 AM »
This new network is showing Telenovellas, short term serials with beginnings, middles & ends.
65 eps over 13 weeks, 5 nights a week.

Desire & Fashion House, the first 2 offerings, don't look very good, but, might this short term format on a new network be a possible home for DS?

Desire/Fashion House are getting nightly ratings of under 1.5.  DS would surely do far better than that, & put the network on the map!
And we'd have another 65 DS eps!

David

Offline Cousin Barnabas

• Junior Poster
  • DARK SHADOWS FOREVER!
    • View Profile
Re: My Network TV~~Home For Dark Shadows?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 12:12:33 PM »
That would be an idea, its not much of a network though,,,, then neither was UPN
^v^  ^v^   ^v^ ^v^

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 09:30:46 PM »
I think anyone who is a fan of DS would love to see this happen, but unfortunately I don't think it will. The reason for canning the 2004 Pilot, the WB says, was that it wasn't "salvagable". I didn't and still don't understand this. Having seen the pilot at this years fest, I thought it was absolutely amazing. The end wasn't very good, it was A LOT exaggerated, but if you had just cut off the last 20 seconds or so of the end, then it would have been just fine. I think that the WB was just not bold enough to take on the project.

Also, I think that DCP is very protective over DS, and this is something that it should be. We should only expect the highest from DS and for DS, so I'm not entirely sure that MyNetworkTV, with their soapy nighttime dramas, is exactly the best place for DS. I think we should be aiming for something higher than that. Primetime on a REAL network, like CW (please no) or one of the four majors. But I do agree that no DS is better than no DS, even with these new audio dramas that are coming out, which I love.
[/b]
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

David

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 10:51:48 PM »
I would love to read Brandon's reply to this topic, but the blue lettering is out of focus!
(at least on my screen)

Possible to repost?

David

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 11:18:23 PM »
Also, I think that DCP is very protective over DS,...

I don't follow this stuff religiously so I don't know exactly WHO gets to make decisions regarding a new DS......but the simple fact that it is no longer Dan Curtis himself, makes many things possible that were not possible before.

The biggest problem, in my opinion, is the failure of the most recent pilot.  I suspect the taint of "failure" will prevent any new possibilites for some time to come.

Unless, of course, Heaven and Earth move, and Johnny Depp says he's still interested.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 11:24:23 PM »
Quote from: David
I would love to read Brandon's reply to this topic, but the blue lettering is out of focus!
(at least on my screen)

Hopefully, the lighter blue made it easier to read.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 01:55:08 AM »
David,

Sorry about that blue. I decided against font colors after I did that.

Also, I think that with DC not running the biz anymore, like Rainey said, it may open up more doors, but I do agree that the "taint of failure" may not lure people in, despite it's alluring sound. ;) Hopefully DS will at least live on through novels and the new audio dramas. I just wish more novels were coming out. I mean, I don't want another Marilyn Ross deal, turning out novels every month--quality over quantity anyday--but I do wish that more were coming out. The last three I red were "Angelique Descent" "Dark Shadows--The Salem Branch" and "Dreams of the Dark", all of which were very entertaining and that I enjoyed very much. Hmm, maybe I should put pen to paper....
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 03:58:19 PM »
I just wish more novels were coming out.

Brandon, there are plenty of fan novels out there if you're interested in a fan's take on things.  Like Mark Rainey's books (I'm reading one now and it's great) and I myself have not only a novel about the 1841 (and beyond) plotline out, but also a volume of short stories.  If interested send me a personal message on here.   ;D
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 01:44:02 AM »
Oh for one or two normally functioning eyes.   And disposable income.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 04:21:58 AM »
Oh for one or two normally functioning eyes.

Better yet, half a dozen.  It's always good to have spares.