Author Topic: DID ANYONE SEE THAT?  (Read 2719 times)

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
Re: DID ANYONE SEE THAT?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2002, 11:09:15 PM »
I know there are a number of people who post here that are unhappy about the apparently unlikely possibility that DS will ever be "recreated" by FOX or the SciFi channel.....

I was just wondering, am I the only DS fan who HATES the idea of attempting to re-create the series?  I've never understood the urge to RE-MAKE something that was already done once.  

I've never seen a movie re-make that I honestly thought was better than the original, and I tend to assume that people who do re-makes are lacking in sufficient creativity to do something original themselves.

It always seems to be about the money someone thinks it might generate. And in this case it was tried once and failed....why would someone try again?  

But that's just me, wondering.
Rainey

No Rainey I'm with you i didn't really like the 1991
series for that reason! i do like the fan fiction  stories
of what might have happened though and Mark Rainey's book !  i feel that why also about a lot of remakes too!
quess there is only one Barnabas & Company for me! :-*

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2002, 11:14:30 PM »
Dear Raineypark, Count me among the fans who think ANY remake of DS is a bad idea.

I'm much more pleased by the continuing broadcast of the episodes (even in edited form) on Sci Fi and their reissue in the "hot" new DVD technology. In my opinion, THIS is the sort of thing that will continue to generate interest in the series.

Ever see the 1991 series?  Those shows were often unwatchably bad.  I can't wait to see someone take one of those scenes where Lysette Anthony is hissing "EAR me, Barnabas Collins!" and dump a giant prop ear on top of her with the aid of state-of-the-art computer technology!

The only good thing about a new series would be if they decided to use Seaview Manor for the filming, and that brought in some cash to fix the place up.  It is literally crumbling into pieces.  At the current rate of decay, I don't know how much will be left 30 years from now.

Gothick

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2002, 11:47:05 PM »
Thanks for your replies, Jennifer and Gothick....it's nice to know that I'm not the only one with this opinion about re-makes.  No, I've never actually SEEN the 1991 series but I never thought I was missing anything.

Gerard, you have an idea that could be excellent, if properly executed.

I remember the nashing of teeth when word first came out that there was going to be a NEW "Star Trek" series....but taking the original premise and bringing all new characters to it was brilliant.  I personally would choose "Deep Space Nine" as my favorite of the bunch.

A new "Dark Shadows" with a select few of the old characters and a village full of new ones could be a great thing, if it was well written, intelligently directed, had reasonably talented actors and a budget that didn't require cheesy props and limited wardrobe!!  ;)

Best of all, they could shoot it somewhere that actually LOOKS like the Maine seacoast.....like Portland, which I love!

But by all means, spare me "THE RE-MAKE OF DARK SHADOWS, PART II"

Rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Donna

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2002, 12:46:31 AM »
Gerard said:

I think a "next generation" would be far better, possibly even seeing if some of the original performs will reprise their roles.  

I agree with him.  It would be fun to see a next generation Dark Shadows.  Especially if some of the original cast were involved.  The writters would have to come up with a good storyline to hold the interests of younger viewers and those of us who remember the original series.  

"The hardest act to follow is yourself."  Sir Paul McCartney  :-*

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2002, 02:44:39 AM »

I think a "next generation" would be far better, possibly even seeing if some of the original performs will reprise their roles.  

Gerard

I agree. The remake has already been done twice: House of Dark Shadows and the prime time revival series in '91.

I would love to see Collinwood revisited, though. David would be the patriarch of the family by now, or perhaps Carolyn. It would be difficult to have any of the original cast members since none of them were supposed to have aged (werewolf, witch, vampire)!

Offline The charming Mr. Blair

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2002, 03:10:01 AM »
I don't believe that a new DS would be as good as the original. Yes, it would not have mistakes,and the scenes would be more graphic, and the actors would be more culturally diverse to reflect today's society.
But, I don't watch DS to see perfection and dazzeling effects. I watch it because it is great acting stripped down to its most pure form-- like a play, with little rehearsel; and when it is right it is  powerful.
AS a viewer, I gloss over the mistakes and accept the good with the bad.
However, perhaps the best thing about DS is that we don't have to see the gore and blood. I don't need to see it and I am glad I don't. I know we could have seen the bloody details of many horrible deaths, and to me that would have ruined the charm of this great show.
I must go. However, I shalln't be long.
 Good day everyone!

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2002, 03:17:08 AM »
What might be interesting and different is taking the story and putting it on the slick surface instead of the screen. Bette and I just recently discussed the idea. You have some of your professional figure skaters as the characters and use Robert Cobert's music....DARK SHADOWS ON ICE!
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2002, 05:07:03 AM »
I am with you Gerard.  There are so many possiblities for new stories.  If they focused on David and some new charactors it would be worth a shot.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2002, 07:42:08 AM »
Thanks for your replies, Jennifer and Gothick....it's nice to know that I'm not the only one with this opinion about re-makes.  No, I've never actually SEEN the 1991 series but I never thought I was missing anything.

Gerard, you have an idea that could be excellent, if properly executed.

A new "Dark Shadows" with a select few of the old characters and a village full of new ones could be a great thing, if it was well written, intelligently directed, had reasonably talented actors and a budget that didn't require cheesy props and limited wardrobe!!  ;)

Best of all, they could shoot it somewhere that actually LOOKS like the Maine seacoast.....like Portland, which I love!

But by all means, spare me "THE RE-MAKE OF DARK SHADOWS, PART II"

Rainey

I agree Rainey, There could never be a new show as good as the original series. Somethings just can't be remade and are best left as "originals"  However, a new show with some of original cast members along with new characters, and perhaps using the same kind of sets might work out if nicely written.  :)

"Calamity Jane"

Offline DSWayne

• Junior Poster
  • Another DS fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2002, 09:39:17 AM »
Thank you Annie  for the welcome!!!!!

Offline DSWayne

• Junior Poster
  • Another DS fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2002, 09:45:34 AM »
As far as a remake I must admit I share some of the same opinions about lack of imagination as well as easy cash.

BUT on the flip side. If some one was willing to put some real money into it. With the special effects that are available today. It could come off pretty good.

But I too cannot think of any remake that I liked better than the original.

Okay I am sitting on both sides of this fence. I do not usually do this.

I really did not see much at all of the short lived 1990's remake.

If they did do a remake (I too thought it was FOX mostly interested but I think I read that the deal was off - for now) will they redo only the characters? Or will they only use the characters and write all new stories?

I doubt if too many if any of the original actors will do the story if asked. But who knows?