Author Topic: maggie-at-the-diner  (Read 1496 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
maggie-at-the-diner
« on: September 23, 2006, 11:17:21 PM »
i've been re-watching the early part of the laura collins story.

one of the things that is standing out for me most is the character of maggie evans.

in these early episodes she is the absolute most ridiculous,gossipy,busybody ever!

i had forgotten about this nature of the character.in a few episodes maggie actually leaves her station behind the counter,pours herself a cup of coffee,and sits down with her customer and blabs and blabs and blabs...she just spills the beans on everyone.

in one scene poor burke suffered the indignity of having to go behind the counter to fix himself a cup...and he topped off maggie to boot!

i've been seeing the character in the post-josette,ingenue mode for so long i kind of forgot about this nature of maggie.it reminded me of what i first loved about her.she's a blabbermouth but still apple-cheeked and sweet.it's a nice duality.

for those unfamiliar with this part of the show it's quite something to see. :P
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
Re: maggie-at-the-diner
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 07:40:11 AM »
Maybe when she took her blonde wig off she quit being such a gossip! ;D
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 11:04:48 PM »
I think my favorite Maggie scenes ever are when she's hooking Joe in the 1966 storyline.  She gets those devious little looks on her face whenever Joe's back is turned, rattles off a spree of naturical slang without turning a hair, shows him what having a girl who's genuinely interested in him is like, yet remains spirited and perky throughout.  I'm really sorry the character got slammed into permanent victim mode once Barn hit town.

Rainingwolf, Maggie's blonde phase only lasted for the first couple weeks of the show.

G.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 06:12:00 AM »
I really am dying to see these episodes of the show, I can't wait to get them on DVD.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 03:23:28 PM »
I really am dying to see these episodes of the show, I can't wait to get them on DVD.

The pre-Barnabas eps are fantastic arashi!  You'll love 'em!   8)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 06:39:07 PM »
Same here, I want to see the pre_Barnabas episodes, but will have to wait until they come out on DVD.
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 12:00:12 AM »
Yeah before Barnabas came along, everyone else actually had a story. Then he came and everyone else is only around as they relate to him.

I like the early Maggie though there are times when I want to say "Maggie, ya don't have to know everyone's business!" I remember one time [spoiler]Burke has ordered some lobster rolls to go. She keeps badgering him with questions and he finally has to say, "Maggie go get me those lobster rolls!"[/spoiler]

She doesn't totally change though because in the Leviathan storyline [spoiler]Paul Stoddard visits and gets her to reveal a lot of information about the residents of Collinwood and all the time never reveals his own identity! He gets her to help him set up a meeting with Carolyn and she does so. I felt she shouldn't have done this, since she had no way of knowing whether Carolyn even wanted to see her father. I don't think Maggie should have gotten involved.[/spoiler]

Alondra

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 01:41:43 AM »
Well Maggie's heart was in the right place [spoiler]and maybe part of her motivation was the fact that it wasn't too long ago she lost her own father, but as you say it was rather presumpturous of her to assume Carolyn would want to see her father seeing as he abandoned her so many years before.

Though actually maybe Maggie was right in what she did, because Carolyn did come to listen to him and accept him very quickly (maybe a bit TOO quickly, but ah well).

I don't think Elizabeth or Roger ever found out that Maggie was responsible for bringing Paul and Carolyn together did they? Probably just as well, because considering how they both felt about Paul at that point I suspect Maggie would have wounded up in the unemployment line (or maybe going back to busting tables at the diner) if they had learned of her involvement.[/spoiler]

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 02:16:57 AM »
Carolyn had wanted to know about her father during the time [spoiler]Jason was staying at Collinwood during his blackmail of Liz, she had asked him several questions. After Jason is gone, it's put on a back burner until the Leviathan storyline.

I don't think Liz and Roger found out about Maggie's involvement. She certainly would have gotten a dressing down from Liz at the very least.[/spoiler]

Alondra