Author Topic: Looking for the review of...  (Read 1028 times)

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
Looking for the review of...
« on: September 20, 2006, 05:24:26 PM »
"Grayson Hall: A Hard Act to Follow" by R. J. Jamison

I read in a previous message, somewhere on this board, that someone wrote a good review.  I can't find it and would like some help locating the cousin's review.  A link would help tremendously.

Thanks
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

David

Re: Looking for the review of...
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 05:52:55 PM »
I wrote the reviews of RJ's book. :)

The first review will appear in San Francisco's Bay Area Reporter later this week & will be posted here.

The second review will be in Videoscope Mag, either issue 60 or 61 & will also be posted here after publication.

David

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 06:00:19 PM »
I heard there was a review written and posted on this board ... somewhere.  I think a cousin said it was written by CyrusL or maybe it was someone else.  I look forward to reading your review too and most definitely the book, when I receive it in the mail.

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 06:06:48 PM »
OH Now I remember what it was... someone said there was a good report of what happened while RJ was on stage.  I'd like to read how that went.

Senior moments are hard to keep up with when trying to get thoughts straight.  ::)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 06:24:30 PM »
Here's my review from amazombie.

If you're at all interested in Grayson Hall, you really do need to get this book!

Best, G.

My review:

Cult actress Grayson Hall has been best known to students of Tennessee Williams through her larger-than-life performance as the 'butch choir-mistress' in John Huston's film of Night of the Iguana, a role for which she received an Academy Award (tm) nomination. The actress is also fondly recalled for her yeoman work as a scheming gypsy tarot card reader, a French countess, a devious housekeeper and the ever-faithful 'Physician to the Vampire' on television's Dark Shadows. Now independent scholar RJ Jamison reveals the very complex woman behind the legendary, iconic, eyebrow-raising actress. Jamison's diligent spadework and spot-on reporting uncovers a wealth of hitherto unknown detail about Hall's life. The author situates her subject in her various contexts, illuminates her art and life, and most important of all, shows us what fun she had living Off and On Broadway as a 'gutsy broad' who gave her all to the Theatre but who remained powerfully devoted to her family, her kitchen, and those to whom she gave her heart. R J Jamison's book is a riveting read. You won't soon forget Grayson, or this book about her.

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 06:30:43 PM »
Here's my review from amazombie.

If you're at all interested in Grayson Hall, you really do need to get this book!

Oh yes, I plan to read the book as soon as I get it in the mail.  Thanks for your review!!  For some reason, I couldn't find the threads on the fest [weird I know] and want to read how RJ's stage time went.  I FINALLY found one of the threads and am reading those.  I enjoy the Q & A times and was curious what questions and answers there were about Grayson; also what RJ said on stage about her.  Nancy Barrett on stage talking about Grayson had to be a hoot.  THANKS!!

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 07:01:37 PM »
Hello dsb, while I haven't written a formal review as such, I can thoroughly reccommend RJ's book!!!  ;D I started reading randomly and now I'm going through it start to finish. I LOVE this book. My big mistake at the festival was not buying additional copies. One of the things really like about the book is that it clarifies some contradictatory information, while adding new mysteries. I was sorry to hear for example she wasn't involved on the Disney lp, as it sounds so much like her. No matter what you think you know about her or Dark Shadows, you will learn so much. Plus, its a thoroughly well written and an entertaining read. Its fascinating just how many notable people crossed paths with Grayson. Plus, as a book on the theatre and acting, its a great slice of how the industry operates.
      You may wish to review the topic "Remember Grayson Hall" under Calender Events and read over, especially for Gothick's fine comments.

Michael [book1]
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 07:08:03 PM »
Oh yes, I finally found that thread!!!  I had to go to your profile and look through the messages you've written lately.  Just found that feature to this board and it's most helpful in finding messages missed before.

BTW, you can call me Jackie!