Author Topic: OT - Q Guide to the Golden Girls  (Read 793 times)

Offline johnpeternyc

• Junior Poster
  • Hi kids!
    • View Profile
    • Our NEW Web Page
OT - Q Guide to the Golden Girls
« on: September 19, 2006, 07:52:55 AM »
Q Guide to the Golden Girls

Ok so tonight I devoured the new "Q Guide to The Golden Girls" written by Jim Colucci.  It is available on Amazon, or at Borders and Barnes & Noble.  Author Jim Colucci follows up his "Will & Grace" book and gloriously reports on what many people consider the best TV show of the 1980s.... and perhaps of all time. The Golden Girls. This paean to the silver haired denizens of Miami is told through lavender glasses and I don't plan on leaving the house without them on ever again!

Jim covers why we are infatuated with this show. So much so that four gay guys got together in 2003 and did it for a charity run in the West Village called "The Golden Girls: LIVE!". Yes I was one of those guys¢â‚¬¦and yes my life partner was as well¢â‚¬¦and we are interviewed for the book¢â‚¬¦.It is a four page section of the book that shouldn't be missed!   However, I am not biased and never have been about my deep affection for these four women. As such we have been wary the many other times that people have approached us about being involved in any kind of GG project.  You may know us best as two of the leads in the DS Collinsport Players skits.  We have a successful cabaret career here in NYC.

Anything we would do is a loving tribute. This is precisely the kind of work Jim has written. Jim promised integrity and humor in his approach to this project. He delivers both with aplomb.

Each one of the women who is able to speak did so with Jim in detail. Many staffers, and actors, and even actors who didn't get cast agreed to sit down with Jim. His dedication to this project (which took nearly three years to come to fruition) speaks further to his integrity and dedication.

Jim also has the rare ability to balance the thoughtful and profound of the facts surrounding the show and ancillary events. However, he also does this with a great deal of humor, candid and otherwise. The inclusion of several GG survey responses to some of the hottest celebrities of our time really plays off well. To think Ted Casablanca loves Rose¢â‚¬¦I would have thought he is more Blanche! J I have a lot in common with Judy Gold's response about why she prefers Dorothy! But you will have to buy the book to find out.

This is a loving tribute that any true GGer should have in their Christmas stocking this year. This book is a must have for any gay man, flame dame (aka Fag Hag), Mother, and/or little sister infatuated with Lifetime's "The Golden Girls". After all Lifetime is Television for Women (and homosexuals!). So by the book this month for your Mom¢â‚¬¦sit her down and watch a couple of episodes¢â‚¬¦and come out. Step into the lavender light. Isn't national coming out day next month? I can think of a better time.

Jim thank you from the bottom of our hearts for writing this book.!

Warmly,
John
Dr. John "DJ" Schaefer
johnschaefernj@aol.com

David

Re: Q Guide to the Golden Girls
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 08:24:33 AM »
John,
sounds wonderful.
you guys should bring your stage show to San Francisco, the gayest City in the USA!
Maybe Theatre Rhino, our gay theatre company, could stage it?

David

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
Re: OT - Q Guide to the Golden Girls
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 02:37:16 AM »
I'm puting it on my Amazon wish list (along with all things DS of course)
Hugs and kisses
your favorite
Flame Dame (I love that term)
LdyAnne ;D

Click to see image:
Mac-John-Me.jpg

Offline johnpeternyc

• Junior Poster
  • Hi kids!
    • View Profile
    • Our NEW Web Page
Re: OT - Q Guide to the Golden Girls
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 03:16:27 AM »
Beth,

You mean the world to us.  We are so lucky to have you in our lives.

Love
John
Dr. John "DJ" Schaefer
johnschaefernj@aol.com