Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0117  (Read 1168 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0117
« on: January 03, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0117
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 09:46:54 PM »
This is very dull flirting going on between Burke and Carolyn.  These two have nothing in common.  It's creepy to me, how Burke goes on about how soft her skin is.   There's a basis for a relationship...   I'm glad Joe popped him one.   and good for Joe, finding Vicki's suitcase.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 12:55:34 AM »
True, their flirting is pretty dull, even though Burke does manage to take off his jacket--the equivalent of full frontal nudity back then! Things don't really get going until Joe shows up and says he'll take Carolyn home. I won't leave till I want to leave, she replies, and Joe retorts, When will that be--tomorrow morning? Carolyn is shocked, shocked! Then an actual fight scene!

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 01:33:05 AM »
I was pretty much bored up until the fight scene, myself. It seemed like the first two thirds of the show dragged on and on in regards to Vicki's whereabouts. I didn't find Mitch Ryan's love making at all convincing. The fight scene, I liked though. 
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 08:07:59 AM »
Joel Crothers continues to be more interesting playing a nice guy than most actors are when playing character parts, when the nice guy roles are supposed to be dull...  you can see the subtle signs of bitterness , longing, disillusionment, etc etc.. in his face.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 04:15:28 PM »
I'm with you about Joel Crothers, MT! I watched the first available episodes (starting with no. 210) via Netflix streaming and once again appreciated how he turned what could have been a cardboard character into a complicated flesh-and-blood human being.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 11:37:19 AM »
I didn't find Mitch Ryan's love making at all convincing.
But was it supposed to be convincing?  Burke has never been interested in Carolyn.  He's just using her, mostly because it might facilitate his revenge on the Collinses, and partly, perhaps, to pass the time because Vicky has refused to get involved with him.  The minute Carolyn mentions Vicky, you can see Burke starting to take a real interest in the conversation.

It's creepy to me, how Burke goes on about how soft her skin is.
It wasn't creepy to me.  Burke is desperately trying to find something personally attractive to himself about Carolyn.  He says her skin is soft as a baby's – and a baby is how he thinks of her, despite that fact that he told her she was more mature than Vicky.

The fight scene, I liked though.
Not me.  It was too obviously fake.

Back at Collinwood, Elizabeth calls Vicky's suitcase – the one in which Vicky brought all her belongings to Collinwood  - a “weekend suitcase”.  Well, for Liz, maybe it is – or actually, maybe it wouldn't even be big enough for a weekend visit, if Liz were ever actually to go anywhere.  After all, she'd need a hatbox and a garment bag, too, and a cosmetics case, and I don't know what else.  Oh, yes – how could I have forgotten? - a jewelry case.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 03:47:24 AM »
Elizabeth worries to Mrs J about Vickie.  She's a good worrrier.  Joe reveals that he hasn't seen Carolyn for a week and of course she is with Burke.  Burke seems upset that Vickie is seeing Frank and then when Joe arrives Burke is jumping at the chance to find her.  Carolyn gets ordered to her room by her mother.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times