Author Topic: 2003 Fest info  (Read 11351 times)

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
Re:2003 Fest info
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2003, 02:28:04 AM »
One thing that does occur to me is that the show's 40th anniversary is only three years away - and a potential hiatus of just two years if something was done to mark it.  Thinking ahead, I really believe that's a major milestone that deserves an official celebration, so I hope that the Festival is toying with the idea, even just as a one-off.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

LorraineAAB

« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2003, 04:02:03 AM »
One thing that does occur to me is that the show's 40th anniversary is only three years away - and a potential hiatus of just two years if something was done to mark it.  Thinking ahead, I really believe that's a major milestone that deserves an official celebration, so I hope that the Festival is toying with the idea, even just as a one-off.

Stuart, darlin', if they DO, it had better last a whole bleepin' WEEK!

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2003, 02:38:13 PM »
Wow!

"Well, after Dr. Hoffman cured Chris Jennings, they ran off together and are living happily ever after in a tropical paradise."  ;D

Regards,

John

I printed the schedule from the internet several days ago and was worried when I saw the 'Farewell' in the opening line.  Now its been confirmed and I feel incredibly sad :'(

I have to say that I really appreciate all the things that KLS and Jim Pierson have done to bring this yearly event about.   They have done a remarkable job. Perhaps the problems with some of the fans and other issues that everyone talked about after the last fest was a deciding factor or maybe even the cost of renting the space at the hotel, etc.,etc. Maybe if they could get the younger actors like Denise Nickerson and David Henesey, and Kathy Cody...ah well I can dream.

I'm so glad I'm able to go this year and hopefully my brother will also be able to attend (this would be his first time).

It has been wonderful sharing my love for Dark Shadows with so many people and hopefully I'll be able to meet you in NYC  :) Barnabas and Julia forever!
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline bluedog

• I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2003, 07:11:10 PM »
 8)  Carol, great idea to re-invent.

Lynn

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2003, 02:54:58 AM »
 :)Now I like that word "reinvent" too. Yes. Smaller more localized gatherings sound like fun too. I can't comment on the Festivals since this will be my first, but I'm seeing pros and cons as far as their organization. I don't know the "ins and outs" so to speak; however I suspect that 1000 fans will have 1000 suggestions. So I'm optimistic that these thoughts can be considered and something new will be created. DS will never die as long as it's fans are alive.
                                           Ever the optimist,  Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2003, 08:19:24 PM »
All the suggestions regarding re-inventing the fan gatherings have merit.....and I'm sure most of us would love to attend small gatherings with friends we've made on-line or at previous fests.

But to whom are we going to direct these suggestions?  Unless people out there are prepared to jump into the obviously demanding role of organizers, how do you even get a small local fan event off the ground?

It will be interesting to see how many fans among us are willing and prepared to undertake such a responsibility. 
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2003, 08:48:07 PM »
The Dark Shadows Offical Fan Club/Festival will continue to explore the presentation of other DS activities in the future, but we hope you'll be able to join us for this memorable three-day finale in August.

Looks to me like the Fest is expecting/hoping to continue running smaller events in the future. I guess we'll have to wait and see what they'll come up with. So all hope is not lost.

dom

Nancy

« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2003, 09:07:10 PM »
It seems that way. In fact, the announcements states clearly at least twice that organized fests will still take place, just on a less grander scale.  I see elsewhere that fans have jumped to the conclusion there are not any more fan gatherings planned by the same people who organized the festivals.  Don't know how that conclusion was reached based on the press release. [smrtasy]

Nancy

Looks to me like the Fest is expecting/hoping to continue running smaller events in the future. I guess we'll have to wait and see what they'll come up with. So all hope is not lost.

dom

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2003, 09:27:39 PM »
"......organized fests will still take place, just on a less grander scale."  Looks to me like the Fest is expecting/hoping to continue running smaller events in the future.

Let us all devoutly hope so.

But what I was particularly referring to was the repeated suggestion that fans might want to meet one another in local areas, as groups who know one another by way of internet fandom or having met at previous fests.  Somehow I doubt the Fest organizers are going to be involved in THAT sort of gathering.  It's going to be up to the fans themselves and it won't happen unless there are people willing and able to handle the myriad details and arrangements.

Personally, I can't throw a dinner party without a migraine.  I would be in awe of anyone who would volunteer to organize such a gathering.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2003, 11:13:41 PM »
I plan on putting out the word whenever I travel. As a matter of fact I am currently in "negotiations" with a New Jersey forum member about getting together the next time I'm in Jersey. Strictly informal, you know, perhaps meeting for lunch, or something llike that.

Personally, I wouldn't mind opening my home for a luncheon if I knew someone from the forum was coming to town and there were others in the area that could (and would like to) attend. We could make it a pot luck, not that I'd mind providing lunch for a small group. We could watch videos, scream (with delight) whenever Quentin comes on screen, drink champagne whenever Liz tells off Roger, swoon at the sight of Briscoe, pop white jelly beans whenever Julia appears (lol),etc.

I once drove from Boston with another forum member to western New York State to visit a common DS pal. We rented a room for one night and met her for dinner and then the next day spent the afternoon at her house watching videos and talking and laughing. It was one of the most marvelous times I've ever had, and was worth every bit of the expense and effort.

I think one on ones would be nice too. Like meeting at an over-priced Italian deli for coffee. ;)

I think anything larger than my suggestions above could get messy. It would take monatery donations and I agree, I don't think I'd like to be the one to arrange a mini-fest of 20 or more people. I do think that if it is kept simple it is doable and would be very enjoyable. But I don't have children, or a job, so I can understand that what would appear simple to me may not be so for others. And of course I wouldn't expect anyone to open their homes to a bunch of strangers. But I do think it's possible to have small informal gatherings.

dom

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2003, 01:31:54 AM »
I think one on ones would be nice too. Like meeting at an over-priced Italian deli for coffee. ;)

I'd pick you up at MacArthur Airport, drive us to Lombardi's AND pay for biscotti and espresso.....but only if we pick up your Mama and bring her with us!!  ;)
Dylan Thomas

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2003, 03:17:13 AM »
I'd pick you up at MacArthur Airport, drive us to Lombardi's AND pay for biscotti and espresso.....but only if we pick up your Mama and bring her with us!!  ;)

Okay, I'm not bitter.  I'm not.  Really.  :-

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2003, 03:20:44 AM »
Well OF COURSE I'd pick you up too!!  Just give me a flight number!!  But wait till the weather gets warmer....then we can go sit down on the beach!!  ;D
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2003, 05:55:28 AM »
Well OF COURSE I'd pick you up too!!  Just give me a flight number!!  But wait till the weather gets warmer....then we can go sit down on the beach!!  ;D

Hmmm - perhaps we could make it a foursome? [wink2]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2003, 06:01:30 AM »
I plan on putting out the word whenever I travel. As a matter of fact I am currently in "negotiations" with a New Jersey forum member about getting together the next time I'm in Jersey.

I'm still kicking myself for not being able to get together with you when you were visiting a fellow forum member in my area a few years ago. Yes, we did get to talk on the phone that time, but it wasn't the same as if we'd actually gotten together in person. But hopefully one of these days... ;)