Author Topic: 2003 Fest info  (Read 11395 times)

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:2003 Fest info
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2003, 09:43:45 PM »
Hmmm....does this mean fans are going to come looking for people like OUR beloved Midnite and MB and Dom to help fill the void?

-------------------
                              GONE FISHIN'
                             -------------------
                                       =
                                       =
                                       =
                                       =
                     __!!!_______=____!!!_______!!!__

;D

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2003, 10:00:00 PM »
On a serious note-

I have met some wonderful people thru DS fandom. And when I travel I do try and visit these fine folks whenever I'm in the area, if it can be arranged. I've driven hundreds of miles to do so and I've never regretted it.

Since being active in the DS Forums I've "come to know" others I'd love to meet. Hopefully in the future we'll be able to get together informally. Perhaps when a DS actor in doing a play, or if someone is traveling to an area several other forum members may live in. I think that would be nice and a lot of fun.

I guess time will tell,
dom

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2003, 10:01:24 PM »
 :'( I can't believe it!!! I'm finally able to go to a Fest and it's the LAST ONE!! Well, I guess I must be grateful that I will at least experience one fest. I admit it sounds like a great event is planned. I was only going to stay two days, but three it is for sure!!
                                        Teary-eyed and sad,             Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2003, 12:18:58 AM »
Wow!

I was absolutely stunned by the news that this year's Fest would be the last.  I've been going to the NYC Fests for years and, while I haven't been the most "active" Fest-goer, I always enjoyed the feeling of excitement that permeated the Fest rooms.  So many of my happiest vacation memories are informed by the DS Fests.

I wasn't sure if I could afford to go this year, but considering that it's the last one, I don't think I can afford NOT to go.  And this year, I hope to have the chance to meet up with some of my fellow posters!  :)

The reunion presentation should be interesting.  I wonder who wrote it.  And may I say that I plan to align myself with Julia99?  All we ask for is a one-line mention along the lines of, "Well, after Dr. Hoffman cured Chris Jennings, they ran off together and are living happily ever after in a tropical paradise."  ;D

Regards,

John

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2003, 01:02:51 AM »
Wow!  Can't believe it.  I am so glad I was able to go in 2001.  My mind is in a frenzy trying to figure out a way to attend.  The dates just seem too impossible for me.

I can understand if the actors have had enough on such a grand scale.  Rainey put it so well they aren't getting any younger, even though it seems like they never age.  It is sad news.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Lindsey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2003, 01:16:25 AM »
I'm so depressed! I have never been to a Fest, and my parents said I could go when I was 18. Here it is now the final festival, and I'm only 17, so I can never go.

I know that it must be very hard to have such huge festivals every year, so I understand their decision to end them, but I still wish they could wait one more year!

:'(  :'(  :'(  :'(

-Lindsey
"What is the truth?" 
"That I love you.  No matter how much I fight my feelings, I will always love you."
                          -Barnabas and Angelique 1840

Nancy

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2003, 01:20:48 AM »
I don't see how the age of the actors would result in the festival stopping.  Afterall, Parker, Selby, Karlen, KLS, Barratt, Storm, Pennock, Wallace to name a few are in their 50s and 60s which is hardly elderly.   They make up the hard core group who nearly always come.  The festival is once a year on some coast and they are flown there, not expected to drive or walk to it. ;)

Funny, no one suspects that maybe the organizers are just plain tired of doing it after more than two decades.  It's year round planning and a lot of hard, hard work.   It's murder trying to find adequate and affordable hotels and event rooms.  And for anyone who plans events, you know you hear more grief than praise for your work so I don't even see a lot of incentive if you are already tired.  These are more likely reasons for the big festivals coming to a halt, IMO.

Nancy

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2003, 01:40:40 AM »
Did I imply that I thought they were doddering off into their senile sunsets?  I certainly didn't mean to.  I only meant to point out that as one grows older, some things can take on the aspect of a chore, instead of a joy.  You think of time as more and more precious...and weigh what you DO with that time more carefully.

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2003, 01:41:37 AM »
On a serious note-

Perhaps when a DS actor in doing a play, or if someone is traveling to an area several other forum members may live in. I think that would be nice and a lot of fun.

I guess time will tell,
dom

Dom, (except I can't travel far), I'd GLADLY go somewhere to be with my friends from the boards.

CENTRAL NEW JOISEY....(let's visit the birthplace of Joan Bennet)!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2003, 01:58:54 AM »
Crushed and depressed ... that's how I feel, especially knowing that I'm unable to attend this year.  But I was hoping I would be able to attend again in the next couple of years (although it was beginning to look like it might be of few years in the future before I'd be able to afford it again).

This is so shocking, I can't believe it.

The only strand of hope I hold on to is that there may be smaller gatherings organized -- but who is going to go through the enormous task of arranging those (Nancy makes some very good points about the tremendous amount of work involved, which many of us probably don't stop to think about).

I've heard that the Halloween events at Lockwood have gotten so overcrowded that if it gets much worse, that'll be a nightmare.

I don't even want to think that I might never see people like Midnite, Prof. Stokes, Ben, Teresa, happybat, and so many others, ever again.

If I weren't in a public place right now I'd probably be crying, but I guess I better call on my Scandinavian stoicism to pull me through ...

So many disappointments in life, and the festival was one bright spot ...

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Nancy

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2003, 02:12:58 AM »
From what I've heard/seen, most of the actors use the festivals in which to promote their very active lives, in some cases, careers that aren't always centered on acting.   They clearly choose to remain active all year and the festival is simply one weekend a year.   Each actor can take a year or so off if he/she wishes or not attend at all.

However, I would apply your statement about "as one grows older, some things can take on the aspect of a chore, instead of a joy" to those who have spent years and years organizing and making these large scale events happen.  Maybe they are the ones who, as they have gotten older, want to spend their time doing other things especially if the planning and executing the events becomes more and more difficult for various reasons.  When something becomes a hassle, you do evaluate it and wonder if maybe your time isn't better spent elsewhere doing something that does provide more enjoyment.    Just a thought.

Nancy

Did I imply that I thought they were doddering off into their senile sunsets?  I certainly didn't mean to.  I only meant to point out that as one grows older, some things can take on the aspect of a chore, instead of a joy.  You think of time as more and more precious...and weigh what you DO with that time more carefully.

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2003, 02:28:37 AM »
Maybe the time has come to reinvent the DSFest instead of the same routine year after year that many on this board and others have complained about.   A smaller gathering with only a few DS actors in attendance(similiar to the Halloween Party held every year)may have to suffice. This is IMHO.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2003, 03:30:08 AM »
Maybe the time has come to reinvent the DSFest

This is an excellent point.  I'm not trying to accuse or criticize anyone, but I have often felt that DS fandom was, to a certain extent, controlled by a core group of long-time fans.  In the documentary TREKKIES, it is mentioned that there is a Star Trek convention held nearly every week of the year in the US.  This is definitely not the case with DS.  Essentially, there is one DS fan gathering each year and if you can't attend, then you're out of luck until the next year.

I feel that those who organized the Fests did a great job, especially considering that they were doing it in their spare time without monetary compensation.  They seemed to strive to take the Fests beyond Q&A sessions and episode marathons by providing forums for the DS cast members to present dramatic presentations, and by planning interesting side trips.

The down side to this, and again I'm not trying to be critical or accusatory, is that having one group take care of everything breeds complacency among the rest of the fans.  Why bother will a small, castmember-less Philadelphia gathering when we can just wait for the big one in NYC?

Hopefully, as has been suggested in this thread, the end of the "official" Fests will lead to the beginning of a new era of DS fandom focusing on small, local gatherings of fans.

Regards,

John

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2003, 05:30:40 AM »
From what I've heard/seen, most of the actors use the festivals in which to promote their very active lives, in some cases, careers that aren't always centered on acting.   They clearly choose to remain active all year and the festival is simply one weekend a year.   Each actor can take a year or so off if he/she wishes or not attend at all.

However, I would apply your statement about "as one grows older, some things can take on the aspect of a chore, instead of a joy" to those who have spent years and years organizing and making these large scale events happen.  Maybe they are the ones who, as they have gotten older, want to spend their time doing other things especially if the planning and executing the events becomes more and more difficult for various reasons.  When something becomes a hassle, you do evaluate it and wonder if maybe your time isn't better spent elsewhere doing something that does provide more enjoyment.    Just a thought.

Nancy

Thank you Nancy, I never gave this possibility a thought...

I wonder if the current organizers would choose other volunteers as replacements who trained by them could continue the wonderful Dark Shadows tradition.

I also hope that they would have one last fest in California for those of fandom who are unable to attend the last New York fest.

Sarah's very sad  :'( :'( :'( Ghost
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2003, 06:04:43 AM »
I'm quite sure that as long as the surviving cast members are willing to show up, there will continue to be DS fan events around the country.  There's been an event that's been happening every year around Halloween at Lockwood Mathews House in Norwalk, CT for several years now, for instance.

I also think it might be fun for fans to think of getting together just to socialize and share the weirdness that is DS.  That, for me, is why I kept going back.

The NYC Festivals have turned into cattle calls in recent years.  I would prefer something a little more intimate and low-key, myself.

Gothick

why Steve what an excellent idea!maybe the Halloween setting or Newport(off season as that place is quite pricey) and i would love to visit LA some day!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV