Author Topic: Everyone is right ! Roger Davis  (Read 2753 times)

Offline Maggie Babe

• View Profile
Everyone is right ! Roger Davis
« on: April 29, 2008, 02:01:46 AM »
OK usually I am more of a lurker than a poster.  Over the years I have read  many comments about how Roger Davis manhandles his co- stars. I could never understand what everyone was tallking about. I was an "original" viewer and missed the sci- fi re-broadcastings. I am now rediscovering my childhood obsession.  I always thought RD was kinda of cute. (Please know that I was a pre teen and gratefully my tastes have changed)

I have been watching DVD set 13. It starts right before Barn's trip to 1897.

Disc 1: Roger Davis as the protective older brother Ned Stuart. He is practically mauling the actress that was playing his sister. Poor Sabrina is in a catatonic state and she has this  idiot brother pawing all over her. I thought her grey wig would fall off her head.

Disc 2: There he is again grabbing and shaking Beth...not because of anger but out of caring.

What a weird way to play those scenes. I am sure it was not the director's instructions.

Ewwww!  It's hard to believe I thought of him as a heartthrob! 
    [ghost_rolleyes]
Maggie Babe

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Re: Everyone is right ! Roger Davis
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 03:32:32 PM »
ROFL. Welcome to the forums!

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 03:47:54 PM »
I'm contemplating writing a Roger Davis biography based on interviews with his female costars and titling it Noli me tangere[ghost_tongue2]

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline sallycollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 04:49:42 PM »
I've always noticed a certain hostility toward Roger Davis on this board. Is it his acting or his behavior or both? It seems as if people know him personally, maybe from a past festival.

Sally
Sally Collins

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 05:35:29 PM »
LOL, Criseyde, your title for the RD book is truly priceless!

Maggie Babe, welcome to the Boards!  As for Roger Davis, just wait till you see what he does to his own hair!  The groping gets fierce...

I remember seeing one of the DS actors at a Festival reminiscing about how she always dreaded doing a scene with Davis, because of his tendency to literally PUSH her off her mark so the camera was just on him.  quite a trick. 

It's been shared on other threads that Dan Curtis, for whatever reason, had a soft spot for Davis--possibly because of the fan mail he received.  He was actually considered one of the major male babes of the series back in the day.

G.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 12:22:59 AM »
I'm kind of neutral on Roger Davis....I can take him or leave him. Some characters of his I like better than others.

I liked Peter Bradford and Dirk Wilkins [spoiler] especially after Barnabas turned him into a vampire. [/spoiler]

I could tolerate Jeff Clark (mainly because I thought he and Vicki made a cute couple though he could get a little too hot and bossy with her at times).

I loathed Ned Stuart, mainly because of the way he got rough with Sabrina at times. That's no way for a brother to treat his sister!

I didn't like Charles Delaware Tate because he was such a childish imbecile, especially [spoiler] when he learned his precious "creation" Amanda was in love with Quentin and not him. [/spoiler]

Some of the hostility towards Roger, from what I've read of other posts, is partly because of how he really is in real life. It depends on who you talk to though. I have read some posts that say he's arrogant and pushy, on the other hand I've also read posts saying he's real nice, and a gentleman.

I never met the man, so I can't really say one way or another.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 12:29:04 AM »
Truthfully, it all depends on when fans might have met him or witnessed his actions because Davis had a bad reputation for his antics at some '80s and '90s Fests - but he has definitely mellowed in recent years.

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 02:27:37 AM »
Hmmm...  it looks like he and William Shatner have a lot in common: they both pissed off their costars with their egos and hamminess, and it's all in print!  Just read the writings of Kathyrn Leigh Scott, Marie Wallace, and the biographies of Joan Bennett and Grayson Hall.  And the memoirs of Nichelle Nichols, George Takei, and Walter Koenig!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 04:28:51 AM »
I hear RD's funny. 
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 04:33:17 AM »
I suppose that all depends as to whether or not you're the butt of one of his jokes or not.  [ghost_wink]  And for what it's worth, several of the DS stars don't think he's funny at all - or at least that he's crossed the line more than once...

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 05:10:31 AM »
I hear RD's funny.
He often is. The problem is that he can't shut up and let someone else be the center of attention. Once he gets his paws on a microphone, good luck getting it away from him.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 07:02:03 AM »
Ah, the vast panoply (I should find out what these words mean before I use them) of human foibles on display at DS conventions.... if cons aren't ruined by this behavior, maybe it can be charming jerkiness of some kind...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 11:34:16 AM »
But Mr. Davis' antics are the exception, not the rule.  Perhaps he should find out why John Karlen is so beloved by his costars and the fans and he isn't!

Offline Maggie Babe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 03:21:29 AM »
Ok I'm back. I justed watched the  DVD Set Disk 3 Scene 1:

There he is again...this time his victim is poor little Nora. I know he wnted to get her back in the house but did he have to be so rough. I mean she is only a kid!

I think I will have to just keep a tally sheet. He is three for three on this set. Three appearances in a row, three different females. Three acts of pushing and shoving
Maggie Babe

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 06:19:46 PM »
Sometimes I wonder if actors were told to get more physical or move around more, to go against any sense that they were really standing around in a series of small rooms in a TV studio, maybe a cramped one.