Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0418  (Read 705 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0418
« on: March 21, 2013, 04:43:00 PM »
Robservations #418

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0418

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 07:04:40 PM »
The first sign of evil Barn appears, when he throttles Ben for not destroying him.  That's my only note on this episode.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 07:36:31 PM »
Yeah, too. bad. Barn is actually pretty conflicted in this episode. After he nearly throttles Ben, he frantically pleads, Tell me everything Josette has said about me! Ben complies but adds emphatically, You must stay away from her--because you love her, and because you should listen to the human part of yourself. Barnabas observes sadly, There's so little human left in me now. In despair, he vows not to see Josette again. Ben’s relief lasts only a moment, until Barnabas prepares to leave the secret room. Ben asks anxiously, Where are you goin’? Barnabas answers, To where the night takes me. But I will not go to Josette. He leaves the mausoleum and enters the dark night that is his new and unique domain.

No fashion notes today either.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 09:16:52 PM »
I don't know about everyone else, but this is the kind of thought I have watching this:  I feel sorry for Barn not having a house to live in, or any place to sit down and read, or feel even slightly like a person.  Maybe Ben could use some of that jewel money to find a room for him where no questions would be asked.  Barnabas could teleport in and out, keep his coffin there (if they've given him the ability to transport the coffin with him yet)...   At least part of the need to "go where the night takes him" might be the utter and total lack of anything else to do.   It's either stay in the crypt, or go out.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 12:53:06 AM »
How very sad! I'm sure Ben would help if he could. But Barn does have to go out at night, if only to satisfy his craving for blood.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 01:11:26 AM »
Well, of course I never meant he could stop being a vampire, but a home of any kind might cut down on the attacks a bit.   

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 07:37:52 PM »
Nice close up of Barnabas' face and the confusion as he realized he is awake once again at dusk. He attacks Ben without asking questions much like he has done in the future. Not much human left hardly anything at all he speaks. The head of Angelique appears and laughs at Ben and reveals he will not stop her from sending Josette to Barnabas. I like how her voice is borne on the wind and then becomes the voice of Barnabas. The head appears in Josette's room and makes her dream of her love and where to find him in the crypt. They still refer to Josette as a DuPres in the credits and the episode was written by Ron Sproat.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 02:40:54 AM »
Lots of great comments pertaining to this episode, cousins.

OVO - "...a sea of familiar faces, swept along with the entire Collins ancestry on a terrifying tide of inhuman horror..." Ye-ah baby.

I'm not buying Barn's outrage against Ben, not noway not knowhow. Nor Frid's performance for that matter. I like the concept of the scene between Ben & Barn in the mausoleum. And Barn's exiting line was fantastic in context.

Yeah, AD, that is really cool having Ange's voice become Barn's - very creppy to me. (Why is Josette's bed on blocks?) Ange/Josette - the dream - I don't get it - I liked it - but I really don't get it. She knows he is dead so wtf? LOVED Josette's scream when she woke up - what a hoot!

Oh, now I get it, (I'm typing as I watch) she has to know where to follow the voice to. The whole second half of this episode is great. Ben & Josette & Ange in the woods. Barn & Josette in the mausoleum - wow - I got goose-bumps! Frid improved greatly by episode's end. KLS was marvelous too. I loved this last scene. The writing, the acting, wonderful stuff.