Author Topic: OT: The Oscars  (Read 2909 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:OT: The Oscars
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2003, 06:33:54 AM »
I am very happy and feeling a bit smug. ;D ::)

And you have every right to be. ;) (Particularly when you picked Brody and not many so-called experts gave him much of a chance against Nicholson or Day-Lewis. But I always think it's great whenever that happens. How dull the ceremony would be if everyone expected to win actually did...)

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2003, 06:04:31 AM »
Well, they failed to factor in the "portrayal of a real person" PLUS the holocaust, I guess those two combined to an unbeatable combo! Honestly though, I didn't expect him to win, I was just rooting for him. I thought he gave a nice diplomatic speech also.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2003, 08:00:52 PM »
The only movies I have recently seen were "Catch Me if You Can" (very good) and "Far from Heaven" which was very good also.  I found Julianne Moore's performance in FFH to be excellent if a bit mannered.  The two films I'm really dying to see now is "The Pianist" and "The Hours".

One of my favorite moments was seeing Olivia De Havilland, who looked great dressed in that lovely shade of blue.  And who knew that Luise Rainer is still living?  She must be pushing the three-digit mark by now!  Sad to see that my possibly favorite actor, Gregory Peck, wasn't there, nor was Paul Newman although I can certainly guess why.  Yes, I'm a pushover for classic film, in case you haven't guessed.   :D

Didn't care a bit for Michael Moore's political tirade although I appreciated Steve Martin's cute Teamster reference as counterpoint.

All in all, I enjoyed watching the Oscars although I wish I had seem more of the movies beforehand.  There seemed to be an unusually large number of ones worth seeing this time around!
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2003, 02:03:10 PM »
HappyBat,  I have to admitt I am a sucker for the old movies too.  Favorite channels are TCM and AMC.  I hate that AMC runs commercials now, they are beconing as bad as TBS.

I had only seen Chicago and Catch Me If You Can.  I enjoyed both films.  The truth comes out I love musicals.  I would like to see Chicago on stage to run a comparison.  My younger sister loves the play and was so-so on the movie.

TCM has been great this month with March Month of the Oscars.  At last something to watch at night.

Anyone watch Gaslight last night?  Great film.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Julian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2003, 03:34:53 PM »
I did see Gaslight.  Great film and great performance by Ingrid Bergman.  I saw Casablanca the other day and Ingrid's beauty almost takes your breath away.  Last night I also watched the Philadelphia Story and saw our own Joan B. in Father of the Bride.

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2003, 03:54:13 PM »
I hate that AMC runs commercials now, they are beconing as bad as TBS.

Anyone watch Gaslight last night?  Great film.

Birdie

Birdie,

Yes, it seemed that apart from PBS, AMC was the only station that was blessedly commercial free, but no more.  When it comes to cable tv it seems I'm paying more for less quality these days.

"Gaslight" is one of my all-time favorite movies and is one of the few I actually have on video.  Bergman's performance is superb and earned her a well-deserved Oscar.  Of course, Charles Boyer and Angela Lansbury are terrific too.  Bergman is one of my favorite actresses.  Of course, I like to think that this has nothing to do with the fact that we're both Swedes!   ;D
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher